Bug??: getattproperties fails !!

From
Jan Ehrhardt
Date:

                        POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name  : Jan Ehrhardt
Your email address : ehrhardt@medinf.mu-luebeck.de

System Configuration
---------------------
  Architecture (example: Intel Pentium)   : SGI Octane SI (MIPS R10000)

  Operating System (example: Linux 2.0.26 ELF)  :IRIX 6.4

  PostgreSQL version (example: PostgreSQL-7.0):   PostgreSQL-7.0.1

  Compiler used (example:  gcc 2.8.0)  : MIPS PRO CC 7.2

As far as I know the installation procedure finish sucessfully. gmake
runcheck
runs fine.
Postmaster is running and I can connect with psql.
(For configuration and installation details see
http://www.medinf.mu-luebeck.de/~ehrhardt/HowTo/HowToCompilePostgreSQL.html)

I have created a user and do the following:

createdb -e mydb
CREATE DATABASE "mydb"
CREATE DATABASE
bert:~$psql
Welcome to psql, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help on internal slash commands
       \q to quit

ehrhardt=> \dt
No relations found.
ehrhardt=> CREATE TABLE friend (
ehrhardt(> first CHAR(20),
ehrhardt(> last CHAR(20),
ehrhardt(> age INTEGER
ehrhardt(> );
CREATE
ehrhardt=> \dt
     List of relations
  Name  | Type  |  Owner
--------+-------+----------
 friend | table | ehrhardt
(1 row)

ehrhardt=> \d friend
ERROR:  getattproperties: no attribute tuple 1259 -2   <======

But the insert and select works:
ehrhardt=>INSERT INTO friend VALUES ('oliver','schmitt',33);
ehrhardt=> SELECT * FROM friend
ehrhardt-> \g
        first         |         last         | age
----------------------+----------------------+-----
 oliver               | schmitt              |  33
(1 row)

ehrhardt=> \d friend
ERROR:  getattproperties: no attribute tuple 1259 -2

But the getattpropeties still fails !!!!

Please describe a way to repeat the problem.   Please try to provide a

see above, is reproducible for every table I create.
The same problem occurs using the postgres user for creating the
database and the table.

If you know how this problem might be fixed, list the solution below:

sorry, no idea.

Regards,

        Jan

--
-----------------------
Jan Ehrhardt

Re: Bug??: getattproperties fails !!

Date:
Jan Ehrhardt <ehrhardt@medinf.mu-luebeck.de> writes:
>   Architecture (example: Intel Pentium)   : SGI Octane SI (MIPS R10000)
>   Operating System (example: Linux 2.0.26 ELF)  :IRIX 6.4
>   PostgreSQL version (example: PostgreSQL-7.0):   PostgreSQL-7.0.1
>   Compiler used (example:  gcc 2.8.0)  : MIPS PRO CC 7.2
> ehrhardt=> \d friend
> ERROR:  getattproperties: no attribute tuple 1259 -2   <======

I wonder if this could be an artifact of the function-call portability
bugs that I've been working on eradicating for 7.1.  You might try
recompiling with no optimization to see if that makes a difference.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Bug??: getattproperties fails !!

From
Jan Ehrhardt
Date:
Hi Tom,

I have recompiled postgres without -O2 and as far as I see
all works well now (incl. getattproperties ).

Jan

Date:
Jan Ehrhardt <ehrhardt@medinf.mu-luebeck.de> writes:
> I have recompiled postgres without -O2 and as far as I see
> all works well now (incl. getattproperties ).

OK, then it probably is an fmgr issue.  This should be fixed in 7.1.
If you are willing to do a little extra legwork, you could try grabbing
current sources (see the nightly snapshot tarball on our FTP server,
or use CVS) and seeing if they work with full optimization on your
machine.  Wouldn't recommend using current sources for production,
but it'd be nice to get verification that this problem is fixed.

            regards, tom lane