Re: [ANNOUNCE] New Webpages Online

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Mike Meyer wrote:

> How about ditching the frames entirely? Not only are they
> problematical from a UI perspective, they're now passe. See <URL:
> http://www.python.org/ > or <URL: http://www.freebsd.org/ > for a more
> modern design.
>
> Of course, pages that put everything in a table to do layout load slow
> and tend to come out ugly on anything that isn't pretty much a clone
> of the designers system, but they beat frames hollow.

Ya know what I'm finding really passe?  Ppl that come up with these
critisms but really don't present an alternative?  I personally like the
frames...I like not having to reload everything when only one piece
changes...I thnk it *looks* nice...

Of course, if you have a better idea of how the site should be lay'd out,
please feel free to provide a *visible* example of your thoughts...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [ANNOUNCE] New Webpages Online

From
Mike Meyer
Date:
Did you go look at the two *visible* examples I gave of an alternative
design?

Since my graphic design skills are minimal, and the PostGreSQL pages
has display nearly *all* the problems associated with vanity sites
whose goal is to show off the graphic designers ability and not
provide information, I figured there wasn't much point, as I'd provide
a nice, simple site that loaded fast and displayed the information in
a readable form on pretty much any browser.

Since you whined about it, though - I did a quick front page
mockup. On the way I fixed the badly broken HTML by adding a TITLE,
making sure the image had an ALT tag so those who are using
non-graphical browsers, have images disabled, or have vision problems
can see them, fixed a typo in an anchor tag (may have introduced that
one myself - I can't check the original now), ditched the more
egregious of the formatting cruft, and in general made the HTML legal.

If you really want to see it, it's at <URL:
http://www.phone.net/home/mwm/postgresql.html >. It's not pretty - but
it can be bookmarked, and shows up sane in history lists, and I can
use it on my cell phone, none of which is true of either old site.

Interesting - the old site is back. It still has the frames (which, as
a number of people have pointed out, are problematical), and I suspect
the HTML is as broken as it was before, but haven't checked.
<mike

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> [...]

> > > How about defining the top level frameset as <frameset border=0 frameborder=no
> > > rows="120,*,10%"> or so. Mixing fixed values, wildcards and percentage values
> > > is really bad style, but this is just a hint. And may be we should think about
> > > displaying the elephant besides the logo, cause it wastes a lot of valuable
> > > place in the middle frame.
> > >
> > > Just my $0.02.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > >
> > >     Oliver Andrich

> > > --
> > > Oliver Andrich, RZ-Online, Schlossstrasse Str. 42, D-56068 Koblenz
> > > Telefon: +49-261-39210-40 Fax: -33 |       http://rhein-zeitung.de
> > >                                    |            http://andrich.net
> > > GMC d- s++:++ a- C++ UL++++ P-- L+++ E--- W++ N+ w-- O- M--
> > > V- PS++ PE Y+ PGP+ t 5+ X R+ tv+ b++ DI++ D- G e h- r z+
> > >

> Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick: Scrappy

Date:
Sorry Mike, but ... if we wanted boring, we'd be still running a gopher
server :(  When Vince and gang started working on revamping the site, I
asked for but one thing...something that was visually appealling, and,
IMHO, that is what they provided.

What you show as an example below is more suited, IMHO, to a gopher site
then a WWW site.  I wasn't looking for 101 graphics to slow down download,
only something that didn't put me to sleep mentally looking at it...

I believe that Vince and gang has succeeded in doing that, and, with some
of the more constructive critism's that I've seen come throgh on how to
improve the frames, I personally feel that they are doing a good job
maintaining and improving the site...