PGday Philly with DjangoCon?

From
Josh berkus
Date:
Folks (esp. Bruce & Jan):

DjangoCon this year is July 17-22 in Philadelphia:

https://2016.djangocon.us

Given that, it seems like we *really* ought to organize a pgDay either
before the conference or during the sprints.

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)

Re: PGday Philly with DjangoCon?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 03/24/2016 10:45 AM, Josh berkus wrote:
> Folks (esp. Bruce & Jan):
>
> DjangoCon this year is July 17-22 in Philadelphia:
>
> https://2016.djangocon.us
>
> Given that, it seems like we *really* ought to organize a pgDay either
> before the conference or during the sprints.

Adding Jimmy...

Django is already present at PgConf.US, it may worth while to have that
team reach out to see if we can reciprocate.

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564

Re: PGday Philly with DjangoCon?

Date:
On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 11:22:32AM -0700, Joshua Drake wrote:
> On 03/24/2016 10:45 AM, Josh berkus wrote:
> >Folks (esp. Bruce & Jan):
> >
> >DjangoCon this year is July 17-22 in Philadelphia:
> >
> >https://2016.djangocon.us
> >
> >Given that, it seems like we *really* ought to organize a pgDay either
> >before the conference or during the sprints.
>
> Adding Jimmy...
>
> Django is already present at PgConf.US, it may worth while to have that team
> reach out to see if we can reciprocate.

Great. I will be in town on those dates too.

+ Roman grave inscription                             +

Re: PGday Philly with DjangoCon?

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 11:22:32AM -0700, Joshua Drake wrote:
> > On 03/24/2016 10:45 AM, Josh berkus wrote:
> > >Folks (esp. Bruce & Jan):
> > >
> > >DjangoCon this year is July 17-22 in Philadelphia:
> > >
> > >https://2016.djangocon.us
> > >
> > >Given that, it seems like we *really* ought to organize a pgDay either
> > >before the conference or during the sprints.
> >
> > Adding Jimmy...
> >
> > Django is already present at PgConf.US, it may worth while to have that team
> > reach out to see if we can reciprocate.
>
> Great. I will be in town on those dates too.

I'd normally be all over going to Philly for a few days, but I'm
unfortunately already booked that week.

I'll reach out and see if there might be someone else who could go.

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment

Re: PGday Philly with DjangoCon?

From
Stacey Haysler
Date:
I'm on the DCUS organizer's committee and DEFNA board (the nonprofit that runs the conference). Drop me a note at stacey@defna.org and let us know what you would like to do!

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/
                        +1-503-667-4564

Date:
On 03/24/2016 11:31 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 11:22:32AM -0700, Joshua Drake wrote:
>> On 03/24/2016 10:45 AM, Josh berkus wrote:
>>> Folks (esp. Bruce & Jan):
>>>
>>> DjangoCon this year is July 17-22 in Philadelphia:
>>>
>>> https://2016.djangocon.us
>>>
>>> Given that, it seems like we *really* ought to organize a pgDay either
>>> before the conference or during the sprints.
>>
>> Adding Jimmy...
>>
>> Django is already present at PgConf.US, it may worth while to have that team
>> reach out to see if we can reciprocate.
>
> Great. I will be in town on those dates too.

There are three days which would make sense:

1. The day before DjangoCon starts, Saturday the 16th.

2. The day of the tutorials, Sunday the 17th.

3. During the sprints, July 21 or 22.

This will partly depend on what's actually available at/near the venue.

Note that I can't commit to organzing this, and might not even be able
to attend, depending on how some other conferences go (there are way too
many darned container events).

Date:
On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 08:32:19PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> There are three days which would make sense:
>
> 1. The day before DjangoCon starts, Saturday the 16th.
>
> 2. The day of the tutorials, Sunday the 17th.
>
> 3. During the sprints, July 21 or 22.
>
> This will partly depend on what's actually available at/near the venue.

It would be nice if we could decide on this by PGConf US so it can be
announced there as the next eastern USA Postgres event.

+ Roman grave inscription                             +

Date:
On 03/25/2016 02:00 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 08:32:19PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> There are three days which would make sense:
>>
>> 1. The day before DjangoCon starts, Saturday the 16th.
>>
>> 2. The day of the tutorials, Sunday the 17th.
>>
>> 3. During the sprints, July 21 or 22.
>>
>> This will partly depend on what's actually available at/near the venue.
>
> It would be nice if we could decide on this by PGConf US so it can be
> announced there as the next eastern USA Postgres event.

I could reach out to my contact at the Django Foundation and see how
much they want us involved?

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564

Re: PGday Philly with DjangoCon?

Date:
On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 08:04:54AM -0700, Joshua Drake wrote:
> On 03/25/2016 02:00 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 08:32:19PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> >>There are three days which would make sense:
> >>
> >>1. The day before DjangoCon starts, Saturday the 16th.
> >>
> >>2. The day of the tutorials, Sunday the 17th.
> >>
> >>3. During the sprints, July 21 or 22.
> >>
> >>This will partly depend on what's actually available at/near the venue.
> >
> >It would be nice if we could decide on this by PGConf US so it can be
> >announced there as the next eastern USA Postgres event.
>
> I could reach out to my contact at the Django Foundation and see how much
> they want us involved?

Uh, Stacey Haysler is already a contact, right?  See below from this thread:

Date:
On 03/25/2016 09:20 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> I could reach out to my contact at the Django Foundation and see how much
>> they want us involved?
>
> Uh, Stacey Haysler is already a contact, right?  See below from this thread:

Oh I missed that. O.k.

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564

Re: PGday Philly with DjangoCon?

From
Christophe Pettus
Date:
On Mar 25, 2016, at 8:04 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> I could reach out to my contact at the Django Foundation and see how much they want us involved?

I can help; I'm on the Django Software Foundation board of directors.

Djangocon isn't produced by the DSF; it's produced by a separate organization, DEFNA, so what we're going to say, "That
soundssuper!  Get in touch with DEFNA!"

Stacey Haysler @ DEFNA is the right person to contact about being involved with Djangocon US.

--
-- Christophe Pettus
   xof@thebuild.com

Re: PGday Philly with DjangoCon?

From
"Mlodgenski, Jim"

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Christophe Pettus <xof@thebuild.com> wrote:

On Mar 25, 2016, at 8:04 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> I could reach out to my contact at the Django Foundation and see how much they want us involved?

I can help; I'm on the Django Software Foundation board of directors.

Djangocon isn't produced by the DSF; it's produced by a separate organization, DEFNA, so what we're going to say, "That sounds super!  Get in touch with DEFNA!"

Stacey Haysler @ DEFNA is the right person to contact about being involved with Djangocon US.

I'll coordinate with Stacey. I've already reached out to some of the local Philly Python/Django community and there is interest in a PGDay within that community.

The Philly PUG has an usually large number of PG contributors and PostGIS contributors so we should be covered with local speakers to fill up a day.

Date:
On 03/29/2016 05:53 AM, Mlodgenski, Jim wrote:

> I'll coordinate with Stacey. I've already reached out to some of the
> local Philly Python/Django community and there is interest in a PGDay
> within that community.
>
> The Philly PUG has an usually large number of PG contributors and
> PostGIS contributors so we should be covered with local speakers to fill
> up a day.

Did this get scheduled?  I need to buy my plane tix.

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 1:37 PM, Josh berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
On 03/29/2016 05:53 AM, Mlodgenski, Jim wrote:

> I'll coordinate with Stacey. I've already reached out to some of the
> local Philly Python/Django community and there is interest in a PGDay
> within that community.
>
> The Philly PUG has an usually large number of PG contributors and
> PostGIS contributors so we should be covered with local speakers to fill
> up a day.

Did this get scheduled?  I need to buy my plane tix.

We are almost fully there. It is scheduled and full details will be ready to release soon.

Date:
On 05/18/2016 11:01 AM, Mlodgenski, Jim wrote:

> We are almost fully there. It is scheduled and full details will be
> ready to release soon.
>
> http://www.meetup.com/phlpug/events/231214177/

So, should I be submitting a talk for this?

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)