About page on .org site

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
The page http://www.postgresql.org/about/ states:

"There are active PostgreSQL systems in production environments that
manage in excess of 4 terabytes of data."

This seems like an obsolete comment. There are single node databases
that Heroku controls that are larger than that now. I doubt Heroku
really pushes PostgreSQL to its limits in this dimension, and it seems
reasonable to suppose some production PostgreSQL databases are far
larger these days.

Peter Geoghegan

Re: About page on .org site

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 26 September 2015 at 22:21, Peter Geoghegan
<peter.geoghegan86@gmail.com> wrote:
> The page http://www.postgresql.org/about/ states:
>
> "There are active PostgreSQL systems in production environments that
> manage in excess of 4 terabytes of data."
>
> This seems like an obsolete comment. There are single node databases
> that Heroku controls that are larger than that now. I doubt Heroku
> really pushes PostgreSQL to its limits in this dimension, and it seems
> reasonable to suppose some production PostgreSQL databases are far
> larger these days.

Indeed.  The San Diego Supercomputer Center mentions having a 50TB
PostgreSQL database, and there are no doubt much larger databases than
that around too:
http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/pressrelease/sdscs_gordon_supercomputer_parsing_genes_proteins_and_big_bio_data

Thom

Re: About page on .org site

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
On 09/27/2015 01:39 AM, Thom Brown wrote:
> On 26 September 2015 at 22:21, Peter Geoghegan
> <peter.geoghegan86@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The page http://www.postgresql.org/about/ states:
>>
>> "There are active PostgreSQL systems in production environments that
>> manage in excess of 4 terabytes of data."
>>
>> This seems like an obsolete comment. There are single node databases
>> that Heroku controls that are larger than that now. I doubt Heroku
>> really pushes PostgreSQL to its limits in this dimension, and it seems
>> reasonable to suppose some production PostgreSQL databases are far
>> larger these days.
>
> Indeed.  The San Diego Supercomputer Center mentions having a 50TB
> PostgreSQL database, and there are no doubt much larger databases than
> that around too:
> http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/pressrelease/sdscs_gordon_supercomputer_parsing_genes_proteins_and_big_bio_data

/about/ is horribly outdated and in serious need of an overhaul(it was
last updated in 2007/2008!), the 4TB thing is just the tip of the
iceberg - see also

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAF4Au4yBUbPwnGyxjV69UkScs-Xh9V+2JoNyVE4hj7LrwkzYCQ@mail.gmail.com

Somebody really should take the time and rewrite that thing sentence by
sentence...

Stefan

Re: About page on .org site

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

> Somebody really should take the time and rewrite that thing sentence by
> sentence...

Dunno about sentences.  IMO the fact that the page is a long, boring
block of text is bad in itself.

Re: About page on .org site

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 12:16 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> Somebody really should take the time and rewrite that thing sentence by
>> sentence...
>
> Dunno about sentences.  IMO the fact that the page is a long, boring
> block of text is bad in itself.

I agree. The way that it lists limitations like "Maximum Columns per
Table" so prominently is just weird, too.

In general, the text is far too tick-box orientated. If that was how
people evaluated database systems, then Firebird would probably be
almost as popular as PostgreSQL. The actual tick-boxes are in some
cases ones that no one cares about. We certainly shouldn't list rules,
for example. And the fact that we list things like having a Python
driver suggests that it would not be preposterous if we did not have
one. The about page also mentions HP-UX in the second sentence.

Some of the features listed there are pretty cool, but I didn't know
that until I used them. The overall picture of how PostgreSQL is
flexible, extensible, and powerful is much more important, and could
be expressed more tersely.

Can someone with some marketing skills rewrite it?

Peter Geoghegan