Re: About page on .org site

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject: Re: About page on .org site
Date: ,
List: pgsql-advocacy

Tree view

About page on .org site  (Peter Geoghegan, )
 Re: About page on .org site  (Thom Brown, )
  Re: About page on .org site  (Stefan Kaltenbrunner, )
   Re: About page on .org site  (Alvaro Herrera, )
    Re: About page on .org site  (Peter Geoghegan, )

On 09/27/2015 01:39 AM, Thom Brown wrote:
> On 26 September 2015 at 22:21, Peter Geoghegan
> <> wrote:
>> The page http://www.postgresql.org/about/ states:
>>
>> "There are active PostgreSQL systems in production environments that
>> manage in excess of 4 terabytes of data."
>>
>> This seems like an obsolete comment. There are single node databases
>> that Heroku controls that are larger than that now. I doubt Heroku
>> really pushes PostgreSQL to its limits in this dimension, and it seems
>> reasonable to suppose some production PostgreSQL databases are far
>> larger these days.
>
> Indeed.  The San Diego Supercomputer Center mentions having a 50TB
> PostgreSQL database, and there are no doubt much larger databases than
> that around too:
> http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/pressrelease/sdscs_gordon_supercomputer_parsing_genes_proteins_and_big_bio_data

/about/ is horribly outdated and in serious need of an overhaul(it was
last updated in 2007/2008!), the 4TB thing is just the tip of the
iceberg - see also

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/

Somebody really should take the time and rewrite that thing sentence by
sentence...

Stefan