moderation of pg advocacy?

From
Darren Duncan
Date:
Isn't this group moderated or have some kind of controls?  Usually I never see
spam/scams on tech lists like this, but the last 2 posts were that way. --
Darren Duncan

Re: moderation of pg advocacy?

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Darren Duncan wrote:
> Isn't this group moderated or have some kind of controls?  Usually I never
> see spam/scams on tech lists like this, but the last 2 posts were that way.

It is.  In fact, 3 emails were posted in between those two you mention
that weren't distributed (and in other lists, many many more are quietly
rejected every day).  The trouble is that these two posts were made from
addresses that had been previously subscribed to some lists and had been
taken over by bots; so the messages weren't held for moderation.  I
removed the addresses from the register, so it shouldn't happen again
from those two addresses.  Of course, there are others :-(

Date:
On 2015-09-24 3:55 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Darren Duncan wrote:
>> Isn't this group moderated or have some kind of controls?  Usually I never
>> see spam/scams on tech lists like this, but the last 2 posts were that way.
>
> It is.  In fact, 3 emails were posted in between those two you mention
> that weren't distributed (and in other lists, many many more are quietly
> rejected every day).  The trouble is that these two posts were made from
> addresses that had been previously subscribed to some lists and had been
> taken over by bots; so the messages weren't held for moderation.  I
> removed the addresses from the register, so it shouldn't happen again
> from those two addresses.  Of course, there are others :-(

Understood.  And in practice, auto-moderating only messages from unsubscribed
people is the only really practical way to manage a list with low overhead. --
Darren Duncan