PostgreSQL to detect nuclear explosions

From
damien clochard

Re: PostgreSQL to detect nuclear explosions

From
"Gunnar \"Nick\" Bluth"
Date:

Attachment

Re: PostgreSQL to detect nuclear explosions

From
Shane Ambler
Date:
On 12/06/2015 19:23, Gunnar "Nick" Bluth wrote:

> Am 12.06.2015 um 11:26 schrieb damien clochard:
>>
>> https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/node/143842
>>
> You just have to love public corporations... RATP asks for RHEL 5.4
> and Postgres 8.4.10 (if I read that correctly).

Don't forget the windows XP clients and the experience with php 5.1.6,
apache 2.0, tomcat 5.5, jonas 4.5.3, Oracle 9.2 or postgresql 8.1 they
want with your references.

They list each application with their own server specs, RHEL ranges
from 5.2 to 6.5 while postgresql ranges from 8.4.10 to 8.4.16.
They do have one RHEL 6.5 running postgresql 9.3

As they are asking for maintenance I would fail to mention your ability
to convince management to upgrade software when you apply.

;-)

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Re: PostgreSQL to detect nuclear explosions

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 06/12/2015 02:26 AM, damien clochard wrote:

> https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/node/143842

Seems like we should be able to get a t-shirt out of this.  Or maybe a
hazmat suit with an elephant on it.  ;-)

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: PostgreSQL to detect nuclear explosions

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 01:37:28PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 06/12/2015 02:26 AM, damien clochard wrote:
> >
> > https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/node/143842
>
> Seems like we should be able to get a t-shirt out of this.  Or maybe a
> hazmat suit with an elephant on it.  ;-)

Elephant in a hazmat suit!

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: PostgreSQL to detect nuclear explosions

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 9:47 AM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 01:37:28PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> On 06/12/2015 02:26 AM, damien clochard wrote:
>> >
>> > https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/node/143842
>>
>> Seems like we should be able to get a t-shirt out of this.  Or maybe a
>> hazmat suit with an elephant on it.  ;-)
>
> Elephant in a hazmat suit!

This may be a sensible topic for the Japanese audience..
--
Michael

Re: PostgreSQL to detect nuclear explosions

From
Ian Barwick
Date:
On 15/06/14 12:26, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 9:47 AM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:

>>> Seems like we should be able to get a t-shirt out of this.  Or maybe a
>>> hazmat suit with an elephant on it.  ;-)
>>
>> Elephant in a hazmat suit!
>
> This may be a sensible topic for the Japanese audience..

s/sensible/sensitive/ ;)

Regards

Ian Barwick

--
 Ian Barwick                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
 PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, RemoteDBA, Training & Services

Date:
On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 12:34 PM, Ian Barwick <ian@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 15/06/14 12:26, Michael Paquier wrote:

>>> Elephant in a hazmat suit!
>>
>> This may be a sensible topic for the Japanese audience..
>
> s/sensible/sensitive/ ;)

Right, sorry for the Frenglish.
--
Michael

Date:
On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 12:26:18PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 9:47 AM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:

> >> Seems like we should be able to get a t-shirt out of this.  Or maybe a
> >> hazmat suit with an elephant on it.  ;-)
> >
> > Elephant in a hazmat suit!
>
> This may be a sensible topic for the Japanese audience..

I'd think that preventing proliferation of nuclear weapons would be
near and dear to the hearts of people in Japan, which is the only
country thus far that has been attacked by another country with
nuclear weapons.

What am I missing?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: PostgreSQL to detect nuclear explosions

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukushima_Daiichi_nuclear_disaster

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Date:
On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 11:02:30AM -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 06/14/2015 10:59 AM, David Fetter wrote:

> >>This may be a sensible topic for the Japanese audience..
> >
> >I'd think that preventing proliferation of nuclear weapons would be
> >near and dear to the hearts of people in Japan, which is the only
> >country thus far that has been attacked by another country with
> >nuclear weapons.
> >
> >What am I missing?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukushima_Daiichi_nuclear_disaster

So this is that big of a black eye.  OK.

As with the elephant logo[1], we should leave the hazmat suits to
another year.

Cheers,
David.

[1]  http://www.japanfortheuninvited.com/articles/aum-shinrikyo.html

Remember to vote!

Le 14/06/2015 19:59, David Fetter a écrit :
> On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 12:26:18PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:

>>> Elephant in a hazmat suit!
>>
>> This may be a sensible topic for the Japanese audience..
>
> I'd think that preventing proliferation of nuclear weapons would be
> near and dear to the hearts of people in Japan, which is the only
> country thus far that has been attacked by another country with
> nuclear weapons.
>
> What am I missing?

While it's interesting to see PostgreSQL being used in the nuclear
domain, I agree that it is not something worth promoting publicly.

From a French perspective, the whole nuclear industry is nothing to be
proud of. Areva, the French nuclear flagship, is currently struggling with :

* technical failures on its new generation of reactors (EPR)
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/04/07/areva-nuclear-anomalies-idUSL6N0X41S920150407
http://www.dianuke.org/jaitapur-arevas-epr-an-industrial-failure-say-experts/

* political scandals :
http://www.economist.com/node/21547812

* billion-dollar financial losses :
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/20/us-areva-results-idUSKBN0LO0OK20150220

* massive layouts :
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/07/us-areva-employment-cuts-idUSKBN0NS0SH20150507

* ... and an increasing number of accidents :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_power_accidents_by_country#France

I'm pretty sure we can choose some other industrial sectors to emphasize
the rise of PostgreSQL.

Re: PostgreSQL to detect nuclear explosions

From
Stéphane Schildknecht
Date:
On 15/06/2015 11:58, damien clochard wrote:

> Le 14/06/2015 19:59, David Fetter a écrit :

>>> This may be a sensible topic for the Japanese audience..
>>
>> I'd think that preventing proliferation of nuclear weapons would be
>> near and dear to the hearts of people in Japan, which is the only
>> country thus far that has been attacked by another country with
>> nuclear weapons.
>>
>> What am I missing?
>>

> While it's interesting to see PostgreSQL being used in the nuclear
> domain, I agree that it is not something worth promoting publicly.
>
> From a French perspective, the whole nuclear industry is nothing to be
> proud of. (...)

Surprisingly, the author entitled the article "PostgreSQL to detect nuclear
explosions". But, the CEA is currently working on detecting and storing earth
movement (earthquakes for instance).

I don't understand what this political and anti-nuclear thread is doing here.

--
Stéphane Schildknecht
Contact régional PostgreSQL pour l'Europe francophone

Re: PostgreSQL to detect nuclear explosions

From
damien clochard

> Surprisingly, the author entitled the article "PostgreSQL to detect nuclear
> explosions". But, the CEA is currently working on detecting and storing earth
> movement (earthquakes for instance).
>
> I don't understand what this political and anti-nuclear thread is doing here.

I see nothing political in this thread. The question is "Do we want to
associate publicly the PostgreSQL brand to the nuclear industry ?" and
it as nothing to do with every one own opinion about nuclear energy.

The fact is that nuclear power is a very controversial subject in Japan
and in France, which are two big markets for PostgreSQL. And it's not a
good idea to emphasize the use of PostgreSQL in this domain because a
lot of media will associate "nuclear" with the idea of "dangerous",
"unsafe", "weapons", etc.

The original article is a perfect example of that semantic slippery
slope... As you have noticed : the original call for tenders from CEA is
about monitoring earthquakes, something rather positive... and yet what
did the journalists choose as a title ?

"PostgreSQL to detect nuclear explosions"

From a PR standpoint, the nuclear industry is prone to sensationalist
headlines and it is perceived as an dangerous, uncontrollable and
waste-generating industry by a lot of people. Which are exactly the
opposite of the values we want to associate PostgreSQL with.

Re: PostgreSQL to detect nuclear explosions

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 06/15/2015 04:00 AM, damien clochard wrote:
"PostgreSQL to detect nuclear explosions"

>  From a PR standpoint, the nuclear industry is prone to sensationalist
> headlines and it is perceived as an dangerous, uncontrollable and
> waste-generating industry by a lot of people. Which are exactly the
> opposite of the values we want to associate PostgreSQL with.

Sounds like any industry, ours included.

JD

Le 15/06/2015 18:41, Joshua D. Drake a écrit :

> On 06/15/2015 04:00 AM, damien clochard wrote:
> "PostgreSQL to detect nuclear explosions"
>>
>>  From a PR standpoint, the nuclear industry is prone to sensationalist
>> headlines and it is perceived as an dangerous, uncontrollable and
>> waste-generating industry by a lot of people. Which are exactly the
>> opposite of the values we want to associate PostgreSQL with.
>
> Sounds like any industry, ours included.

Well at least a PostreSQL core dump isn't lethal during 25 000 years :)

Date:
On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 1:50 AM, damien clochard wrote:
> Well at least a PostreSQL core dump isn't lethal during 25 000 years :)

Hm? PG never has core dumps, it is too stable. You may be mistaking
with a bunch of other databases.
--
Michael