Hot features for 9.5 beta

From
Josh Berkus
Folks:

While it's somewhat indefinite when we will get a beta, I'd like to be
prepared by having target messaging on what's cool in 9.5.  Here's what
I see:

Big Data
--------

This release contains some major "big data" features.

* BRIN indexes: skiplist indexes for multi-GB tables.
* Grouping Sets and CUBE: OLAP for PostgreSQL.
* Faster sorts: sorts on large amounts of text data are up to 5X faster.

AppDev
------

We also have some great stuff for application developers:

* UPSERT
* More JSON features (functions & operators) including jsonb_set().

LD/BDR
------

I think we can't say anything about this for the beta, since the BDR
project is still in "rough" form as far as the general public is
concerned.  Hopefully by the 9.5 release we'll be able to promote the
heck out of this.

.... so, what am I missing?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Hot features for 9.5 beta

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 06/11/2015 02:05 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
  ------

> I think we can't say anything about this for the beta, since the BDR
> project is still in "rough" form as far as the general public is
> concerned.  Hopefully by the 9.5 release we'll be able to promote the
> heck out of this.
>
> .... so, what am I missing?

The upgrade standby via rsync+pg_upgrade

JD

Re: Hot features for 9.5 beta

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 06/11/2015 02:11 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On 06/11/2015 02:05 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>  ------
>>
>> I think we can't say anything about this for the beta, since the BDR
>> project is still in "rough" form as far as the general public is
>> concerned.  Hopefully by the 9.5 release we'll be able to promote the
>> heck out of this.
>>
>> .... so, what am I missing?
>>

> The upgrade standby via rsync+pg_upgrade

Too technical and specific for a "hot feature".

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Hot features for 9.5 beta

From
Jim Mlodgenski

[...]

Row Level Security

Re: Hot features for 9.5 beta

From
Petr Jelinek
Date:
On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 11:05 , Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Folks:
>
> While it's somewhat indefinite when we will get a beta, I'd like to be
> prepared by having target messaging on what's cool in 9.5.  Here's
> what
> I see:
>
> Big Data
> --------
>
> This release contains some major "big data" features.
>
> * BRIN indexes: skiplist indexes for multi-GB tables.
> * Grouping Sets and CUBE: OLAP for PostgreSQL.
> * Faster sorts: sorts on large amounts of text data are up to 5X
> faster.

Don't know about hotness in the eyes of the users but some numeric
aggregates got about twice as fast and we also have sampling.

Re: Hot features for 9.5 beta

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 6:54 AM, Petr Jelinek
<petr.jelinek@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 11:05 , Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>
>> Folks:
>>
>> While it's somewhat indefinite when we will get a beta, I'd like to be
>> prepared by having target messaging on what's cool in 9.5.  Here's what
>> I see:
>>
>> Big Data
>> --------
>>
>> This release contains some major "big data" features.
>>
>> * BRIN indexes: skiplist indexes for multi-GB tables.
>> * Grouping Sets and CUBE: OLAP for PostgreSQL.
>> * Faster sorts: sorts on large amounts of text data are up to 5X faster.
>

> Don't know about hotness in the eyes of the users but some numeric
> aggregates got about twice as fast and we also have sampling.

FPW compression can boost recovery time and server output in I/O
bounded environments, and reduces WAL space by 20/30%. Not sure if
that's hot enough though.
--
Michael

Re: Hot features for 9.5 beta

From
Sameer Kumar

[...]

Foriegn Child Tables? Or call it native sharding in PostgreSQL?

Regards
Sameer
Ashnik, Singapore

Re: Hot features for 9.5 beta

From
"Gilberto Castillo"

> Folks:
>
> While it's somewhat indefinite when we will get a beta, I'd like to be
> prepared by having target messaging on what's cool in 9.5.  Here's what
> I see:
>
> Big Data
> --------
>
> This release contains some major "big data" features.
>
> * BRIN indexes: skiplist indexes for multi-GB tables.
> * Grouping Sets and CUBE: OLAP for PostgreSQL.
> * Faster sorts: sorts on large amounts of text data are up to 5X faster.
>
> AppDev
> ------
>
> We also have some great stuff for application developers:
>
> * UPSERT
> * More JSON features (functions & operators) including jsonb_set().
>
> LD/BDR
> ------
>
> I think we can't say anything about this for the beta, since the BDR
> project is still in "rough" form as far as the general public is
> concerned.  Hopefully by the 9.5 release we'll be able to promote the
> heck out of this.

Ok,  DBR have some  problem.

Saludos,
Gilberto Castillo
ETECSA, La Habana, Cuba
---
This message was processed by Kaspersky Mail Gateway 5.6.28/RELEASE running at host imx3.etecsa.cu
Visit our web-site: <http://www.kaspersky.com>, <http://www.viruslist.com>

Re: Hot features for 9.5 beta

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
>> LD/BDR
>> ------
>>
>> I think we can't say anything about this for the beta, since the BDR
>> project is still in "rough" form as far as the general public is
>> concerned.  Hopefully by the 9.5 release we'll be able to promote the
>> heck out of this.
>>

> Ok,  DBR have some  problem.

Not problems per se.  It's just that it's version 0.9 right now; it's
not 1.0 yet.  It's not expected to be user-friendly and bulletproof at
this point.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Hot features for 9.5 beta

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 2:05 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> * Faster sorts: sorts on large amounts of text data are up to 5X faster.

The same goes for numeric, BTW (perhaps more so), thanks to Andrew
Gierth's work on numeric abbreviation. Also, while a 3X - 5X
improvement is common, there are rarer cases that are significantly
better still. I've seen an independent report of a 12X improvement on
a large server with a big sort that spilled to disk. The actual
operation was a CREATE INDEX on text. This was reported by pgConf.US
speaker Corey Huinker, who happened to have this problematic case that
he was generally concerned about. We talked about this over lunch in
NYC, and I advised him to check out 9.5. Apparently he is looking
forward to being able to do this in production, because such CREATE
INDEX operations are common in his data warehousing app.

Peter Geoghegan