Bundling pgsql to commercial product

From
Martin Popelak
Date:
Hi All,

We are thinking of bundling PostgreSQL as part of our commercial product for windows distribution. For linux distribution administrators would download it thru their package managers but for windows we would like to distribute the binaries within our product distribution for painless installation.

We have been really concern if we are able to do this from licensing point of view. As our product is under commercial license. I have read a few articles on this subject that are confirming that we can do this from legal point of view. Of course I would appreciate if you have any resources saying that this is bad idea.

My question is if you, community of PosgreSQL, know any commercial licensed product that is doing the same, shipping the PostreSQL binaries directly within their product bundle. I would appreciate any leads on this subject.

Martin
Polarion Software

Re: Bundling PostgreSQL in a proprietary product

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 10:34:27AM +0200, Martin Popelak wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We are thinking of bundling PostgreSQL as part of our commercial product
> for windows distribution.

Have fun.  The license makes it explicit and clear that you may ship
PostgreSQL with or without modification in a proprietary product.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Bundling pgsql to commercial product

From
Pavel Stehule
Date:
Hi

your use-case and solution is absolutely legal - PostgreSQL uses BSD licence and there is nothing disallowed.

Same model uses Czech accounting system - flexibee https://www.flexibee.eu/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwhPaqBRDG2uiHzpKLi6ABEiQAk_XXiVcSLWOI7WvR8Er88TsarlLO-RvNRZIo54UhuR9NYVUaAlVZ8P8HAQ

Regards

Pavel Stehule

[...]

Jaime Casanova
Date:
On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 3:34 AM, Martin Popelak
<martin.popelak@polarion.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We are thinking of bundling PostgreSQL as part of our commercial product for
> windows distribution. For linux distribution administrators would download
> it thru their package managers but for windows we would like to distribute
> the binaries within our product distribution for painless installation.
>
> We have been really concern if we are able to do this from licensing point
> of view. As our product is under commercial license. I have read a few
> articles on this subject that are confirming that we can do this from legal
> point of view. Of course I would appreciate if you have any resources saying
> that this is bad idea.
>
> My question is if you, community of PosgreSQL, know any commercial licensed
> product that is doing the same, shipping the PostreSQL binaries directly
> within their product bundle. I would appreciate any leads on this subject.

You're welcome to do that:

http://www.postgresql.org/about/
"""
Best of all, PostgreSQL's source code is available under a liberal
open source license: the PostgreSQL License. This license gives you
the freedom to use, modify and distribute PostgreSQL in any form you
like, open or closed source. Any modifications, enhancements, or
changes you make are yours to do with as you please. As such,
PostgreSQL is not only a powerful database system capable of running
the enterprise, it is a development platform upon which to develop
in-house, web, or commercial software products that require a capable
RDBMS.
"""

--
Jaime Casanova         www.2ndQuadrant.com
Professional PostgreSQL: Soporte 24x7 y capacitación