Re: Bundling pgsql to commercial product - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Bundling pgsql to commercial product
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi

your use-case and solution is absolutely legal - PostgreSQL uses BSD licence and there is nothing disallowed.

Same model uses Czech accounting system - flexibee https://www.flexibee.eu/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwhPaqBRDG2uiHzpKLi6ABEiQAk_XXiVcSLWOI7WvR8Er88TsarlLO-RvNRZIo54UhuR9NYVUaAlVZ8P8HAQ

Regards

Pavel Stehule

Hi All,

We are thinking of bundling PostgreSQL as part of our commercial product for windows distribution. For linux distribution administrators would download it thru their package managers but for windows we would like to distribute the binaries within our product distribution for painless installation.

We have been really concern if we are able to do this from licensing point of view. As our product is under commercial license. I have read a few articles on this subject that are confirming that we can do this from legal point of view. Of course I would appreciate if you have any resources saying that this is bad idea.

My question is if you, community of PosgreSQL, know any commercial licensed product that is doing the same, shipping the PostreSQL binaries directly within their product bundle. I would appreciate any leads on this subject.

Martin
Polarion Software