Anyone have a contact at Home.PL in Poland?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Apparently this megahost in Poland has 40K vulnerable servers.  Would be
great to contact them and get them do update.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Anyone have a contact at Home.PL in Poland?

From
Szymon Guz

Apparently this megahost in Poland has 40K vulnerable servers.  Would be
great to contact them and get them do update.

Sure, I will.

regards
Szymon

Date:
Apparently this megahost in Poland has 40K vulnerable servers.  Would be
great to contact them and get them do update.

Sure, I will.

Seems like they already know about that. There is info at https://pomoc.home.pl/komunikaty/914 that they are going to update Postgres to 9.0.13 in a couple of days.

Szymon

Date:
> Seems like they already know about that. There is info at
> https://pomoc.home.pl/komunikaty/914 that they are going to update Postgres
> to 9.0.13 in a couple of days.

Good.   Now if only we can get them to not have 5432 be world-accessible ...

--

On 4 April 2013 20:28, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Seems like they already know about that. There is info at
> https://pomoc.home.pl/komunikaty/914 that they are going to update Postgres
> to 9.0.13 in a couple of days.

Good.   Now if only we can get them to not have 5432 be world-accessible ...

Seems like for shared hosting there is no way to block that port as they give users access to Postgres to use tools like pgAdmin. What a great idea :)

Szymon

Re: Anyone have a contact at Home.PL in Poland?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Szymon, Depesz,

Given that we clearly have 1000's of PostgreSQL users in Poland, why
don't we have one or more PUGs there?

And, maybe, pg.EU 2015 in Warsaw?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

Re: Anyone have a contact at Home.PL in Poland?

From
Darren Duncan
Date:
On 2013.04.04 12:00 PM, Szymon Guz wrote:
> On 4 April 2013 20:28, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
>      > Seems like they already know about that. There is info at
>      > https://pomoc.home.pl/komunikaty/914 that they are going to update Postgres
>      > to 9.0.13 in a couple of days.
>
>     Good.   Now if only we can get them to not have 5432 be world-accessible ...
>
> Seems like for shared hosting there is no way to block that port as they give
> users access to Postgres to use tools like pgAdmin. What a great idea :)

You can use SSH tunneling to use pgAdmin from other sites without exposing 5432
itself to the internet.

That said, it would be really nice if pgAdmin could set up the tunnel itself,
which even MySQLWorkbench can do, rather than needing one to manually start an
SSH tunnel first for each usage.  Much more user-friendly.

-- Darren Duncan

Date:
On 5 April 2013 19:45, hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz@depesz.com> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 05, 2013 at 09:56:55AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Szymon, Depesz,
>
> Given that we clearly have 1000's of PostgreSQL users in Poland, why
> don't we have one or more PUGs there?
>
> And, maybe, pg.EU 2015 in Warsaw?

There is couple of issues:
1. I don't really believe in those 1000s of users of Pg in Poland.
   I think it's more likely that home.pl/netart turn this service on by
   default, so it looks like it's there, but i would guess that many
   (most?) of it aren't used.
2. there is no pg users group in .pl, so there is not really anybody
   that could organize it. (and no, I do not volunteer, my social skills
   are way underdeveloped for this)

On the other hand - maybe I'm wrong. It's "just" a matter of finding the
right person(s) to start pgug, and then organizing stuff.

Best regards,

depesz

I think the same. Home.pl just gives such a database to each client, and I think most of them are not used, so in fact there are no 1000s os Postgres users here.

I don't vounteer as well, I've got no experience in organizing such events, however the idea of having EU 2015 in Warsaw is quite nice :)

regards
Szymon