The PostgreSQL homepage and release announcements

From
Ian Lawrence Barwick
Date:
Hi

I think the PostgreSQL homepage is going to cause confusion for anyone
checking it for news of the upcoming security release.

There's a big splash box titled "PostgreSQL minor versions released!"
which mentions fixes including "a security issue", however the announcement
does not have a date and it's not obvious that the releases listed
(9.2.3 etc) are
already a few weeks old.

The "Upcoming PostgreSQL Security Release" announcment, which is
tucked away unter "Latest news", also doesn't specify the upcoming
release numbers.

It might be worth updating the "splash box".

Just my 2 cents...

Regards

Ian Barwick

Re: The PostgreSQL homepage and release announcements

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 2:47 AM, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I think the PostgreSQL homepage is going to cause confusion for anyone
> checking it for news of the upcoming security release.
>
> There's a big splash box titled "PostgreSQL minor versions released!"
> which mentions fixes including "a security issue", however the announcement
> does not have a date and it's not obvious that the releases listed
> (9.2.3 etc) are
> already a few weeks old.
>
> The "Upcoming PostgreSQL Security Release" announcment, which is
> tucked away unter "Latest news", also doesn't specify the upcoming
> release numbers.
>
> It might be worth updating the "splash box".
>
> Just my 2 cents...

Just a note since I see nobody responded in tihs thread - but there
was another thread on basically the same subject. Dave updated the
page yesterday I think it was, to add a date to the announcement. That
should make it clear that the current one being advertised is not the
new important one. Probably no point in doing much more than so until
we've actually pushed the releases.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Date:
2013/4/3 Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>:
> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 2:47 AM, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I think the PostgreSQL homepage is going to cause confusion for anyone
>> checking it for news of the upcoming security release.
>>
>> There's a big splash box titled "PostgreSQL minor versions released!"
>> which mentions fixes including "a security issue", however the announcement
>> does not have a date and it's not obvious that the releases listed
>> (9.2.3 etc) are
>> already a few weeks old.
>>
>> The "Upcoming PostgreSQL Security Release" announcment, which is
>> tucked away unter "Latest news", also doesn't specify the upcoming
>> release numbers.
>>
>> It might be worth updating the "splash box".
>>
>> Just my 2 cents...
>
> Just a note since I see nobody responded in tihs thread - but there
> was another thread on basically the same subject. Dave updated the
> page yesterday I think it was, to add a date to the announcement. That
> should make it clear that the current one being advertised is not the
> new important one. Probably no point in doing much more than so until
> we've actually pushed the releases.

Thanks, I noticed Dave's response on the other thread.

Sorry to be nitpicking again - I see the "splash" has been updated with
news of the upcoming release, it might be worth changing the title from

  "PostgreSQL minor versions released!"

to something like

  "Upcoming PostgreSQL security release"

Also, the "Release announcement" link goes to the 9.2.3 release page,
which is confusing to say the least, and the "Download" link is not
helpful until there's something to download.

Apologies if this is already being addressed (or if I can help in any
way apart from whiny emails ;) )

Regards

Date:
On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 6:01 PM, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/4/3 Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>:
>> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 2:47 AM, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I think the PostgreSQL homepage is going to cause confusion for anyone
>>> checking it for news of the upcoming security release.
>>>
>>> There's a big splash box titled "PostgreSQL minor versions released!"
>>> which mentions fixes including "a security issue", however the announcement
>>> does not have a date and it's not obvious that the releases listed
>>> (9.2.3 etc) are
>>> already a few weeks old.
>>>
>>> The "Upcoming PostgreSQL Security Release" announcment, which is
>>> tucked away unter "Latest news", also doesn't specify the upcoming
>>> release numbers.
>>>
>>> It might be worth updating the "splash box".
>>>
>>> Just my 2 cents...
>>
>> Just a note since I see nobody responded in tihs thread - but there
>> was another thread on basically the same subject. Dave updated the
>> page yesterday I think it was, to add a date to the announcement. That
>> should make it clear that the current one being advertised is not the
>> new important one. Probably no point in doing much more than so until
>> we've actually pushed the releases.
>
> Thanks, I noticed Dave's response on the other thread.
>
> Sorry to be nitpicking again - I see the "splash" has been updated with
> news of the upcoming release, it might be worth changing the title from
>
>   "PostgreSQL minor versions released!"
>
> to something like
>
>   "Upcoming PostgreSQL security release"
>
> Also, the "Release announcement" link goes to the 9.2.3 release page,
> which is confusing to say the least, and the "Download" link is not
> helpful until there's something to download.
>
> Apologies if this is already being addressed (or if I can help in any
> way apart from whiny emails ;) )

You're right, the patch that was applied was broken. I've fixed it -
should show up on the next update.