Short summary of postgres and enterprisedb strategy issues

From
Scott & Kathy Law
Date:
here is a summary of issues with moving Postgres/EnterpriseDB fork into the mainstream business environment.. there are
somesevere accusations
contained in this summary

"EnterpriseDB, and to a large extent, the open source PostgreSQL community has largely focused on the technical
requirementsof database architects and administrators. When the company speaks about its products and solutions, it
tendsto speak about the technical aspects of the technology and why it is good enough to be the foundation of today's
applications.
Dealing with today's decision process

Unfortunately, companies seldom select a database based solely upon its technical merits.

I'm not aware of a single development tool or application framework supplier that leads with EntepriseDB or PostgreSQL.
"

http://www.zdnet.com/enterprisedb-competing-with-giants-7000004141/

comments >

Scott Law
www.linkedin.com/in/scottalaw

Re: Short summary of postgres and enterprisedb strategy issues

Date:
On Wed, Oct  3, 2012 at 09:44:56PM -0700, Scott & Kathy Law wrote:

> here is a summary of issues with moving Postgres/EnterpriseDB fork into the mainstream business environment.. there
aresome severe accusations
> contained in this summary
>
> "EnterpriseDB, and to a large extent, the open source PostgreSQL community has largely focused on the technical
requirementsof database architects and administrators. When the company speaks about its products and solutions, it
tendsto speak about the technical aspects of the technology and why it is good enough to be the foundation of today's
applications.
> Dealing with today's decision process
>
> Unfortunately, companies seldom select a database based solely upon its technical merits.
>
> I'm not aware of a single development tool or application framework supplier that leads with EntepriseDB or
PostgreSQL."

> http://www.zdnet.com/enterprisedb-competing-with-giants-7000004141/
>
> comments >

Hard to argue that we need more solution-oriented tools and guides to
help adoption.

Re: Short summary of postgres and enterprisedb strategy issues

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 10/3/12 9:44 PM, Scott & Kathy Law wrote:
> I'm not aware of a single development tool or application framework supplier that leads with EntepriseDB or
PostgreSQL."

FWIW, that one statement is hardly accurate. Django?  Rails?  Atlassan?
 etc.

The rest of his critique has some merit, though.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Short summary of postgres and enterprisedb strategy issues

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On 10/8/12 2:04 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 10/3/12 9:44 PM, Scott & Kathy Law wrote:
>> I'm not aware of a single development tool or application framework supplier that leads with EntepriseDB or
PostgreSQL."

> FWIW, that one statement is hardly accurate. Django?  Rails?  Atlassan?

Someone should point him toward your recent suggestion of
http://blog.planetargon.com/entries/2012/8/14/rails-hosting-survey-2012-results-are-in

His whole argument in this area seems based on outdated commercial
vendor oriented thinking.  PostgreSQL fits into plenty of open-source
application building stacks.  Saying that PostgreSQL is not preferred by
any supplier of development tools is a commercial oriented commentary
whose market relevance decreases each year.

More companies every day now are coming to me saying "we're embracing a
fully open-source stack", which includes open-source development tools
and frameworks too.  As you say, the Ruby and Django development
communities are two very obvious examples that have already climbed way
up in adoption due to that.  I have plenty of customers happily chugging
away with PostgreSQL, JDBC, and Java with Eclipse or NetBeans as their
development environment too.  Even IBM's Websphere lists the PostgreSQL
JDBC driver as an option--it's in the middle of a list that starts with
DB2 and ends with Oracle, as you'd expect.

Just who else does he expect to embrace PostgreSQL?  Yes, Oracle
JDeveloper and Microsoft Visual Studio are not promoting PostgreSQL
integration.  So what?  Those programs are part of the larger problem to
be solved, not a solution, if you're a company that's fed up with the
licensing and restrictions of commercial software.