Re: Short summary of postgres and enterprisedb strategy issues - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Short summary of postgres and enterprisedb strategy issues
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 10/8/12 2:04 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 10/3/12 9:44 PM, Scott & Kathy Law wrote:
>> I'm not aware of a single development tool or application framework supplier that leads with EntepriseDB or
PostgreSQL."

> FWIW, that one statement is hardly accurate. Django?  Rails?  Atlassan?

Someone should point him toward your recent suggestion of
http://blog.planetargon.com/entries/2012/8/14/rails-hosting-survey-2012-results-are-in

His whole argument in this area seems based on outdated commercial
vendor oriented thinking.  PostgreSQL fits into plenty of open-source
application building stacks.  Saying that PostgreSQL is not preferred by
any supplier of development tools is a commercial oriented commentary
whose market relevance decreases each year.

More companies every day now are coming to me saying "we're embracing a
fully open-source stack", which includes open-source development tools
and frameworks too.  As you say, the Ruby and Django development
communities are two very obvious examples that have already climbed way
up in adoption due to that.  I have plenty of customers happily chugging
away with PostgreSQL, JDBC, and Java with Eclipse or NetBeans as their
development environment too.  Even IBM's Websphere lists the PostgreSQL
JDBC driver as an option--it's in the middle of a list that starts with
DB2 and ends with Oracle, as you'd expect.

Just who else does he expect to embrace PostgreSQL?  Yes, Oracle
JDeveloper and Microsoft Visual Studio are not promoting PostgreSQL
integration.  So what?  Those programs are part of the larger problem to
be solved, not a solution, if you're a company that's fed up with the
licensing and restrictions of commercial software.