Poster Distribution, also poster auction

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

I have 100 PostgreSQL 9.1 posters for promoting the new database
version.  I'd like to know where these should go.  What conferences are
coming up in the next 3 months which could distributed them to good effect?

What I see is:

Open Source Bridge (June, USA): no booth, so not much opporunity to use
posters.  Might give a couple away at PostgreSQL talks.

CHAR(11) (July, Oxford): No way to get the posters there.

OSCON (July, USA): pgDay.  PostgreSQL Booth.  Can use posters, send some
to Portland

Then we have three more:

Postgres Open (September, USA)
Postgres West (September, USA)
pg.EU (October, Amsterdam)

I think it would be fine to supply posters to any of these conferences,
but I'd like to hear from organizers involved: How many posters can you
actually use, and what would you do with them?

Note that these cost us a bit in printing costs, so I'd like some of
them to go for donations of $5 or $10.

==================

Poster Auction

We had all of the developers at the Developers meeting ... some 30 major
contributors to PostgreSQL ... sign two of the 9.1 posters.  One poster
went at auction to Gavin Roy for $750 (which went to benefit the
Japanese Red Cross).

I still have the second poster.  Unfortunately, I don't know any other
event which has a terrific auctioneer like Dan to get a good price for
it.  It really needs to go for more than $200.

As a result, I'm thinking of putting it on Ebay or another public
auction site.  That would let most of the world have a shot at acquiring
this piece of PostgreSQL history.  Thoughts?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Poster Distribution, also poster auction

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 7:54 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> CHAR(11) (July, Oxford): No way to get the posters there.

I'm guessing California has a postal service also?

Re: Poster Distribution, also poster auction

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 06/06/2011 11:54 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> I have 100 PostgreSQL 9.1 posters for promoting the new database
> version.  I'd like to know where these should go.  What conferences are
> coming up in the next 3 months which could distributed them to good effect?
>
> What I see is:
>
> Open Source Bridge (June, USA): no booth, so not much opporunity to use
> posters.  Might give a couple away at PostgreSQL talks.
>
> CHAR(11) (July, Oxford): No way to get the posters there.
>
> OSCON (July, USA): pgDay.  PostgreSQL Booth.  Can use posters, send some
> to Portland
>
> Then we have three more:

PgDay Denver

@cmdpromptinc - @postgresconf - 509-416-6579

Date:
On 6/6/11 12:07 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 7:54 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
>> CHAR(11) (July, Oxford): No way to get the posters there.
>
> I'm guessing California has a postal service also?

Lemme make that "no cost-effective way" to get the posters there.

As in, it would cost more to ship them than it would for you to have new
posters printed.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

Re: Poster Distribution, also poster auction

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Monday, June 6, 2011, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On 6/6/11 12:07 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 7:54 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>
>>> CHAR(11) (July, Oxford): No way to get the posters there.
>>
>> I'm guessing California has a postal service also?
>
> Lemme make that "no cost-effective way" to get the posters there.
>
> As in, it would cost more to ship them than it would for you to have new
> posters printed.

Will you be bringing some to pgconf.eu yourself if we want them then?
I expect postage to .nl will be similar to .uk. If so, please submit a
talk or two :-)

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Date:
On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 9:37 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On 6/6/11 12:07 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 7:54 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>
>>> CHAR(11) (July, Oxford): No way to get the posters there.
>>
>> I'm guessing California has a postal service also?
>
> Lemme make that "no cost-effective way" to get the posters there.
>
> As in, it would cost more to ship them than it would for you to have new
> posters printed.

Have them printed in the UK, by purchasing via a UK website.
e.g. http://print24.com/uk/product/posters/

That way, only HTML and money needs to travel. Thanks

Re: Poster Distribution, also poster auction

From
damien clochard
Date:
Le 06/06/2011 21:46, Joshua D. Drake a écrit :
> On 06/06/2011 11:54 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I have 100 PostgreSQL 9.1 posters for promoting the new database
>> version.  I'd like to know where these should go.  What conferences are
>> coming up in the next 3 months which could distributed them to good
>> effect?
>>
>> What I see is:
>>
>> Open Source Bridge (June, USA): no booth, so not much opporunity to use
>> posters.  Might give a couple away at PostgreSQL talks.
>>
>> CHAR(11) (July, Oxford): No way to get the posters there.
>>
>> OSCON (July, USA): pgDay.  PostgreSQL Booth.  Can use posters, send some
>> to Portland
>>
>> Then we have three more:
>>

> PgDay Denver

+ PostgreSQL Session #2 (June, Paris)

I guess we can handle the printing ourself. Can you send us the file ?

--
damien clochard
dalibo.com | dalibo.org

Re: Poster Distribution, also poster auction

From
Gilberto Castillo Martínez

Hi Josh,

We have the Tecnologia Week in November. "We can get some or the Barner
to print?

--
Saludos,
Gilberto Castillo

Re: Poster Distribution, also poster auction

From
Jim Nasby
Date:
On Jun 6, 2011, at 1:54 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> As a result, I'm thinking of putting it on Ebay or another public
> auction site.  That would let most of the world have a shot at acquiring
> this piece of PostgreSQL history.  Thoughts?

+1. Would be very interesting to see if we could get it to beat the one auctioned at pgCon. (Crap, I still need to send
Gavinthat shirt!)
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@nasby.net

Re: Poster Distribution, also poster auction

From
"Kevin Grittner"
Date:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> I have 100 PostgreSQL 9.1 posters for promoting the new database
> version.  I'd like to know where these should go.  What
> conferences are coming up in the next 3 months which could
> distributed them to good effect?

> Note that these cost us a bit in printing costs, so I'd like some
> of them to go for donations of $5 or $10.

If someone wanted to obtain one or two by mail for such a donation
plus mailing costs, would that be feasible?  What would the total
be, including postage (and packing materials, etc.)?

-Kevin

Re: Poster Distribution, also poster auction

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

Sorry for the delay.  The poster designs are here:

http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000089/13798/poster-final.pdf
http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000089/13799/poster-final.ai

Have fun!

--