9.1 beta next week, please blog/talk it up

From
Joshua Berkus
Date:
PostgreSQL advocates:

Version 9.1 beta is coming out in slightly more than one week (currently scheduled for May 3).  We'd really like to get
peopleexcited about it and about trying and testing it.  This version is full of new major features.  As such, I'd like
asmany of our community as possible to blog about the beta next week, as well as warming up your press contacts.

(1) PostgreSQL is still releasing a new major verison *every* year, as we have for the past 7 years.

(2) This new version contains more new major features than any of the 3 versions before it.  Compare this to other
DBMSes,who are mostly doing stability releases.

(3) This version contains several features which PostgreSQL is the very first DBMS to have, open source or proprietary.

We want to remind people that it's not just "noSQL" databases which can be innovative and improve rapidly.  Not only do
wehave the stability, we have the innovation too.

The theme for this release is "Features, Innovation, Extensibility".

Some notes on the major features are below.  However, if you want to write about other features you're exited about
whicharen't on the list below, you're very welcome to.

Features
  Synchronous Replication
      allow you to create synchronous standby databases to prevent data loss
      includes "transaction-controlled synchronous commit", a PostgreSQL innovation
  Per-column collations
      allows true multilingual databases, where each column can be a separate language
  Unlogged Tables
      permits high-speed writes for ephemeral data like session tables

Innovation
  K-Nearest-Neighbor Indexing
      permits doing an indexed search of "what's near me".
      expected to power a whole new generation of spatial applications
      Microsoft is working on this, but we're releasing before them.
  Serializable Snapshot Isolation
      Supports true serializability among complex concurrent business transactions,
      preventing race conditions and deadlocks.
  Writeable Common Table Expressions
      allows executing recursive updates and other data changes in one SQL statement
        which previously would have taken a whole script
      more powerful than CTEs implemented by other DBMSes
  SE-Postgres
      PostgreSQL is the only database which offers full integration
        with SELinux secure data frameworks.  Military-grade security
        for your database.

Extensibility
  Extensions & PGXN
      You've been able to create plugins for PostgreSQL for a decade.
      Now you can manage them easily, and utilize an online network of extensions
  SQL/MED
      Attach other data sources to PostgreSQL and use them like tables:
        files, other databases, the process table, streams.
      Use postgreSQL as the integrator for all of the data in your network

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: 9.1 beta next week, please blog/talk it up

From
oneklema
Date:
Please note that SE-Postgres is not the only DBMS which integrates SELinux.
Also, the current integration in 9.1 hardly seems "full." Please see
http://http://rubix.com/cms/policies/selinux
http://http://rubix.com/cms/policies/selinux  for more information. I would
suggest that this text be changed and not "talked up" as it is untrue.

Joshua Berkus-2 wrote

>   SE-Postgres
>       PostgreSQL is the only database which offers full integration
>         with SELinux secure data frameworks.  Military-grade security
>         for your database.

Andrew Warner
CTO
Infosystems Technology, Inc

Re: 9.1 beta next week, please blog/talk it up

From
"Kevin Grittner"
Date:
oneklema <warner@rubix.com> wrote:

Thanks for letting us know that there is currently another product
which offers SELinux support.

[in an email announcing an upcoming beta release 10 months ago]
> Joshua Berkus-2 wrote
>>
>>   SE-Postgres
>>       PostgreSQL is the only database which offers full
>>         integration with SELinux secure data frameworks.
>>         Military-grade security for your database.

> Please note that SE-Postgres is not the only DBMS which integrates
> SELinux.

I'm curious whether it was true ten months ago when the email to
which you're responding was posted.  What was the date of the
production release of Trusted RUBIX DBMS with support for SELinux?
The earliest date I could find of a page describing this on the site
you referenced was 18 November 2011, which was months after both
Josh's post and the last modification to the Wiki page about the 9.1
release you mention in another post.

> I would suggest that this text be changed

We can't change the history of posts on the lists.  There's a recent
thread on the topic you might want to review:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2012-01/msg00019.php

> and not "talked up" as it is untrue.

I doubt that anyone is still "talking up" a beta release five months
after the production release.  As I said, it's good to know that
this other product is now out there, so that the current state of
affairs can be accurately described in new discussions, posts, etc.

-Kevin