9.1 beta next week, please blog/talk it up - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua Berkus
Subject 9.1 beta next week, please blog/talk it up
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
PostgreSQL advocates:

Version 9.1 beta is coming out in slightly more than one week (currently scheduled for May 3).  We'd really like to get
peopleexcited about it and about trying and testing it.  This version is full of new major features.  As such, I'd like
asmany of our community as possible to blog about the beta next week, as well as warming up your press contacts.

(1) PostgreSQL is still releasing a new major verison *every* year, as we have for the past 7 years.

(2) This new version contains more new major features than any of the 3 versions before it.  Compare this to other
DBMSes,who are mostly doing stability releases.

(3) This version contains several features which PostgreSQL is the very first DBMS to have, open source or proprietary.

We want to remind people that it's not just "noSQL" databases which can be innovative and improve rapidly.  Not only do
wehave the stability, we have the innovation too.

The theme for this release is "Features, Innovation, Extensibility".

Some notes on the major features are below.  However, if you want to write about other features you're exited about
whicharen't on the list below, you're very welcome to.

Features
  Synchronous Replication
      allow you to create synchronous standby databases to prevent data loss
      includes "transaction-controlled synchronous commit", a PostgreSQL innovation
  Per-column collations
      allows true multilingual databases, where each column can be a separate language
  Unlogged Tables
      permits high-speed writes for ephemeral data like session tables

Innovation
  K-Nearest-Neighbor Indexing
      permits doing an indexed search of "what's near me".
      expected to power a whole new generation of spatial applications
      Microsoft is working on this, but we're releasing before them.
  Serializable Snapshot Isolation
      Supports true serializability among complex concurrent business transactions,
      preventing race conditions and deadlocks.
  Writeable Common Table Expressions
      allows executing recursive updates and other data changes in one SQL statement
        which previously would have taken a whole script
      more powerful than CTEs implemented by other DBMSes
  SE-Postgres
      PostgreSQL is the only database which offers full integration
        with SELinux secure data frameworks.  Military-grade security
        for your database.

Extensibility
  Extensions & PGXN
      You've been able to create plugins for PostgreSQL for a decade.
      Now you can manage them easily, and utilize an online network of extensions
  SQL/MED
      Attach other data sources to PostgreSQL and use them like tables:
        files, other databases, the process table, streams.
      Use postgreSQL as the integrator for all of the data in your network

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.