Theme for release

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

Parallel to the other discussion, we need to come up with a "theme" for
the 9.1 release.  It's unlikely to be anything to do with the features,
given that they're all over the map.

Some barnstorming:

"PostgreSQL -- Still the Most Advanced"
(more features than anybody else)

"Delivering new extensibility"
(refers to SQL/MED, Extensions, etc.)

"Rock-solid reliable"
(with some quotes)

"25 Years old and still Innovating"
... hey!  PostgreSQL is 25 years old!

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Theme for release

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Fri, 1 Apr 2011, Josh Berkus wrote:

> All,
>
> Parallel to the other discussion, we need to come up with a "theme" for
> the 9.1 release.  It's unlikely to be anything to do with the features,
> given that they're all over the map.
>
> Some barnstorming:
>
> "PostgreSQL -- Still the Most Advanced"
> (more features than anybody else)
>
> "Delivering new extensibility"
> (refers to SQL/MED, Extensions, etc.)
>
> "Rock-solid reliable"
> (with some quotes)
>
> "25 Years old and still Innovating"
> ... hey!  PostgreSQL is 25 years old!

the word "old" in there ... maybe something more akin to 'mature' vs
'old'?

Beyond that, I do like that last one better ...

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org

Re: Theme for release

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
On Fri, 2011-04-01 at 15:50 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> Parallel to the other discussion, we need to come up with a "theme" for
> the 9.1 release.  It's unlikely to be anything to do with the features,
> given that they're all over the map.
>
> Some barnstorming:

How about

  "Redefining what a SQL DBMS can do!"

or some variation thereof. We have some pretty amazing features in the
last couple releases, and I think they go beyond just "cool". They allow
new types of applications and new approaches to problems that were
infeasible before.

I think this would also be good to re-attract some interest from people
who have only tried MySQL, and gave up and moved to a NoSQL system.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Re: Theme for release

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
> > "25 Years old and still Innovating"
> > ... hey!  PostgreSQL is 25 years old!
>
> the word "old" in there ... maybe something more akin to 'mature' vs
> 'old'?
>
> Beyond that, I do like that last one better ...

25 years and still innovating.

> ----
> Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
> scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org
>
> Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Re: Theme for release

From
Mike Ellsworth
Date:
On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 6:50 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> Parallel to the other discussion, we need to come up with a "theme" for
> the 9.1 release.  It's unlikely to be anything to do with the features,
> given that they're all over the map......

...............All over the Map.............
Our World's Open Source Database

Re: Theme for release

From
Andrew Lardinois
Date:
I've been looking around at the quantity of search results on apache.org relating to database technologies coupled with apache. Mysql has 1,330 hits, while PostGresql has only 470. Without turning this into another us vs. them debate, I was thinking that perhaps it is time to target the web savvy audience with this release.

I came up with a little ditty that goes like this:
'Protect your app from an injection attach; put some more LAPP in your web rack'.

Or something along those lines that is LAPP inclusive.

Andrew

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 9:11 PM, Mike Ellsworth <younicycle@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 6:50 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> Parallel to the other discussion, we need to come up with a "theme" for
> the 9.1 release.  It's unlikely to be anything to do with the features,
> given that they're all over the map......

...............All over the Map.............
Our World's Open Source Database

Re: Theme for release

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On Friday, April 01, 2011 3:50:53 pm Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> Parallel to the other discussion, we need to come up with a "theme" for
> the 9.1 release.  It's unlikely to be anything to do with the features,
> given that they're all over the map.

> "25 Years old and still Innovating"
> ... hey!  PostgreSQL is 25 years old!

+1
A spin on this:

Mature,Stable,Innovative; Pick any three.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Theme for release

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > > "25 Years old and still Innovating"
> > > ... hey!  PostgreSQL is 25 years old!
> >
> > the word "old" in there ... maybe something more akin to 'mature' vs
> > 'old'?
> >
> > Beyond that, I do like that last one better ...
>
> 25 years and still innovating.
  -----------------------------

I think I like this one the best.

Re: Theme for release

From
Ned Lilly

On 4/26/2011 10:40 AM Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>> the word "old" in there ... maybe something more akin to 'mature' vs
>>> 'old'?
>>>
>>> Beyond that, I do like that last one better ...
>>
>> 25 years and still innovating.
>    -----------------------------
>
> I think I like this one the best.

Me too!  +1

--
Ned Lilly
President and CEO

Re: Theme for release

From
"Jehan-Guillaume (ioguix) de Rorthais"
Date:
On 26/04/2011 17:01, Ned Lilly wrote:

>>> 25 years and still innovating.
>> -----------------------------
>>
>> I think I like this one the best.
>

> Me too! +1

+1 as well

Re: Theme for release

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

>>> -----------------------------
>>>
>>> I think I like this one the best.

Hmmm, I'm working on a PostgreSQL 9.1 poster now, and I've been using:

25 years of database innovation

The reason I like this one better is that "still innovating" kinda
implies that we might stop at any time.  Or that we're so old that
innovation is unusual (even if it is, we won't want to say that)

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Theme for release

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,

> Hmmm, I'm working on a PostgreSQL 9.1 poster now, and I've been using:
>
> 25 years of database innovation
>
> The reason I like this one better is that "still innovating" kinda
> implies that we might stop at any time.  Or that we're so old that
> innovation is unusual (even if it is, we won't want to say that)

Yes, that is what the "still" is suggesting.