Can someone design a Postgres9 Information Page?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

I have the domain postgres9.org, which was used for the release party
invitation.  I'd like to put up, instead, an information & resources
page linking to various information about PostgreSQL 9: release notes,
wiki, how-tos, blog posts, etc.

Can someone with better HTML skills than me design this?  I can easily
host it.

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Can someone design a Postgres9 Information Page?

From
"Kevin Grittner"
Date:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> I have the domain postgres9.org, which was used for the release
> party invitation.

Wow!  After all the concern about the "Great Leap Forward" phrase,
you did everything short of including a picture of Mao's Little Red
Book!  I guess if you're going there, you might as well go right
over the top....   ;-)

-Kevin

Re: Can someone design a Postgres9 Information Page?

From
Gilberto Castillo Martínez

El mar, 12-10-2010 a las 11:59 -0500, Kevin Grittner escribió:
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
> > I have the domain postgres9.org, which was used for the release
> > party invitation.

I can, to give work our webMaster.

--
Saludos,
Gilberto Castillo

Re: Can someone design a Postgres9 Information Page?

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
On 10/12/2010 06:52 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> I have the domain postgres9.org, which was used for the release party
> invitation.  I'd like to put up, instead, an information&  resources
> page linking to various information about PostgreSQL 9: release notes,
> wiki, how-tos, blog posts, etc.
>
> Can someone with better HTML skills than me design this?  I can easily
> host it.

what is the point of that? some sort of "meta"-wiki or "meta" blog engine?
To make this useful you would have to make it editable for a larger
amount of people so you would end up with a CMS or a wiki - and guess
what, there is already a wiki...
What about collecting that information on a page in the existing wiki
with is fairly active,has a fair number of contributors and is indexed
fairly reasonable on google already? (not to mention the fact that it
already contains a fair amount of information on 9.0)
If you really want to make use of the domain just put up a permanent
redirect to the wiki page.

Stefan

Date:
> If you really want to make use of the domain just put up a permanent
> redirect to the wiki page.

Would be happy to.  How do I?

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                                     http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: Can someone design a Postgres9 Information Page?

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 12/10/2010 17:59, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Josh Berkus<josh@agliodbs.com>  wrote:
>
>> I have the domain postgres9.org, which was used for the release
>> party invitation.
>
> Wow!  After all the concern about the "Great Leap Forward" phrase,
> you did everything short of including a picture of Mao's Little Red
> Book!  I guess if you're going there, you might as well go right
> over the top....   ;-)

He didn't go all the way over the top - he left out the hot slaves...! :-D

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: Can someone design a Postgres9 Information Page?

Date:
Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
> > I have the domain postgres9.org, which was used for the release
> > party invitation.
>
> Wow!  After all the concern about the "Great Leap Forward" phrase,
> you did everything short of including a picture of Mao's Little Red
> Book!  I guess if you're going there, you might as well go right
> over the top....   ;-)

Agreed.  I think we were OK with the phrase, but when I saw the hat on
the elephant, that associated the phrase with Mao too closely, and too
closely with the tens of millions killed:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Leap_Forward#Deaths_by_starvation

Effectively, this is the same as saying, "Postgres 9: The Final
Solution" and putting a Nazi arm band on the PG elephant.

As you can tell, I am not happy with this, and have stated it privately
already to the people involved.  If we are going to be a professional
organization, we should not be making mistakes like this.

Re: Can someone design a Postgres9 Information Page?

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 8:06 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Kevin Grittner wrote:
>> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I have the domain postgres9.org, which was used for the release
>> > party invitation.
>>
>> Wow!  After all the concern about the "Great Leap Forward" phrase,
>> you did everything short of including a picture of Mao's Little Red
>> Book!  I guess if you're going there, you might as well go right
>> over the top....   ;-)
>
> Agreed.  I think we were OK with the phrase, but when I saw the hat on
> the elephant, that associated the phrase with Mao too closely, and too
> closely with the tens of millions killed:
>
>        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Leap_Forward#Deaths_by_starvation
>
> Effectively, this is the same as saying, "Postgres 9: The Final
> Solution" and putting a Nazi arm band on the PG elephant.
>
> As you can tell, I am not happy with this, and have stated it privately
> already to the people involved.  If we are going to be a professional
> organization, we should not be making mistakes like this.

I agree with you Bruce, but it is worth remembering why JPUG don't use
the Slonik mascot as well.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Can someone design a Postgres9 Information Page?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how to redirect a domain to a
wiki page.

--

Date:
On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 9:06 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how to redirect a domain to a
> wiki page.

Does your registrar offer a forwarding service that can do it? If not,
the easiest way (though not necessarily the nicest) would be to host a
single page on a webserver which does a meta redirect to the desired
location. Better yet, have your webserver send an 301 redirect
response.

I'm sure we can setup a vhost on the wiki server to do it if you want.
Then you'll just need to update the DNS to point to it.

--

Date:
> Does your registrar offer a forwarding service that can do it?

Yes, but they charge for it, monthly.

> If not,
> the easiest way (though not necessarily the nicest) would be to host a
> single page on a webserver which does a meta redirect to the desired
> location. Better yet, have your webserver send an 301 redirect
> response.
>
> I'm sure we can setup a vhost on the wiki server to do it if you want.
> Then you'll just need to update the DNS to point to it.

Sure.  Can you send me what the redirect page should look like?

--

Date:
On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>> Does your registrar offer a forwarding service that can do it?
>
> Yes, but they charge for it, monthly.
>
>> If not,
>> the easiest way (though not necessarily the nicest) would be to host a
>> single page on a webserver which does a meta redirect to the desired
>> location. Better yet, have your webserver send an 301 redirect
>> response.
>>
>> I'm sure we can setup a vhost on the wiki server to do it if you want.
>> Then you'll just need to update the DNS to point to it.
>
> Sure.  Can you send me what the redirect page should look like?

I'll do it in the config for the vhost.

--

Date:
> I'll do it in the config for the vhost.

Oh, ok, I was just going to set this up on hub.org, but it's the same if
you do it.  Let me know what the IP address is when you have it.

Thanks!

Oh, we should probably have a page, no?  Working on it ...

--

Date:
On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 9:26 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>> I'll do it in the config for the vhost.
>
> Oh, ok, I was just going to set this up on hub.org, but it's the same if
> you do it.  Let me know what the IP address is when you have it.

It's 212.85.154.211. Might be safer to use a CNAME to
wiki.postgresql.org though.

> Oh, we should probably have a page, no?  Working on it ...

It's currently pointing at
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/What's_new_in_PostgreSQL_9.0, but can
be easily changed.