Re: Can someone design a Postgres9 Information Page? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Can someone design a Postgres9 Information Page?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
> > I have the domain postgres9.org, which was used for the release
> > party invitation.
>
> Wow!  After all the concern about the "Great Leap Forward" phrase,
> you did everything short of including a picture of Mao's Little Red
> Book!  I guess if you're going there, you might as well go right
> over the top....   ;-)

Agreed.  I think we were OK with the phrase, but when I saw the hat on
the elephant, that associated the phrase with Mao too closely, and too
closely with the tens of millions killed:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Leap_Forward#Deaths_by_starvation

Effectively, this is the same as saying, "Postgres 9: The Final
Solution" and putting a Nazi arm band on the PG elephant.

As you can tell, I am not happy with this, and have stated it privately
already to the people involved.  If we are going to be a professional
organization, we should not be making mistakes like this.