Success Story : French Social Services now using PostgreSQL

From
damien clochard
Date:
hi,

The news went out in France in june, somehow i forgot to forward it here...

The CNAF (one of the biggest part of the french social system) has
successfully migrated its legacy COBOL applications to PostgreSQL.

The whole migration took several years and was driven by BULL with the
help of Dalibo.

Here's a few figures to describe the use case :

  * 37 millions people concerned (half of the french population)
  * 2,5 billions euros paid every month, based on the data stored by
PostgreSQL
  * 1 billion SQL statements every day

Quote From Gerard Russeil, CIO at CNAF : « The tests involved several
months have shown a level of performance in transactional and batch
associated with the new production database PostgreSQL that we can look
confidently to a program of concentration of several production centers
on a single data center »

More information (in English) :
http://www.bull.us/liberatedb/successes/GCOS8_PostgreSQL/GCOS8PostgreSQL.php

Plus d'informations (en Français) :

http://news.bull.com/bulldirectfr/2010/06/bull-donne-une-seconde-jeunesse-au-mainframe-en-lancant-le-nouveau-systeme-novascale-gcos/

For even more details, don't hesitate to contact me :)

--
damien clochard

Re: Success Story : French Social Services now using PostgreSQL

From
damien clochard
Date:
Le 13/09/2010 15:05, damien clochard a écrit :

> Quote From Gerard Russeil, CIO at CNAF : « The tests involved several
> months have shown a level of performance in transactional and batch
> associated with the new production database PostgreSQL that we can look
> confidently to a program of concentration of several production centers
> on a single data center »

ouch ! sorry for the bad translation...

here's a better version :

Quote from Gerard Russeil, CIO at CNAF : « The tests we ran during
several months have shown a level of performance in both transactional
and batch operations with PostgreSQL as our new production database.
This allows us to confidently engage the consolidation of several
production centers into a single data center.»

Re: Success Story : French Social Services now using PostgreSQL

From
Josh Berkus
Date:

Cool!  OK if I link this from www.postgresql.org?

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Date:
Le 13/09/2010 20:31, Josh Berkus a écrit :

>> More information (in English) :
>> http://www.bull.us/liberatedb/successes/GCOS8_PostgreSQL/GCOS8PostgreSQL.php
>
> Cool!  OK if I link this from www.postgresql.org?

Sure !

Actually the link is already present in www.pg.org :)

You can find it inside BULL's presentation on the North America
Professional Support page :

http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support_northamerica

Date:
Le 13/09/2010 15:05, damien clochard a écrit :
> hi,
>
> The news went out in France in june, somehow i forgot to forward it here...
>
> The CNAF (one of the biggest part of the french social system) has
> successfully migrated its legacy COBOL applications to PostgreSQL.
>
> The whole migration took several years and was driven by BULL with the
> help of Dalibo.
>
> Here's a few figures to describe the use case :
>
>   * 37 millions people concerned (half of the french population)
>   * 2,5 billions euros paid every month, based on the data stored by
> PostgreSQL
>   * 1 billion SQL statements every day

i got more details yesterday after talking with someone at Bull :

   * the whole system is split into approx. 246 databases ( 2 for each
local administration of the social services )
   * the size of the biggest database is 250 Go.

--
damien clochard

Re: Success Story : French Social Services now using PostgreSQL

From
phb07
Date:
Hi Josh,

As a consultant at Bull company, I have been largely involved in CNAF
migration project.
Here is the very latest PR from Bull about the project.

http://www.wcm.bull.com/internet/pr/rend.jsp?DocId=594915&lang=en

To my mind, the quote from Marc Pavie could be added to those displayed
in the "Featured User" zone of the postgresql.org home page.
He says :

"The choice of PostgreSQL reiterates our commitment to Open Source. With
Bull as prime contractor, we migrated without any difficulty. With
PostgreSQL we are now benefitting from new functionality which is
contributing to the optimization of our information system. But most
importantly the solution offers levels of robustness and performance
largely in line with our production imperatives and challenges at a
national level relating to the quality of our services."

And as far as I can see everyday, it's true !!!

Regards.
Philippe Beaudoin.

Date:
> To my mind, the quote from Marc Pavie could be added to those displayed
> in the "Featured User" zone of the postgresql.org home page.
> He says :

That definitely sounds like a good idea.  Can you get me Marc's e-mail
so that I can ask him for permission?

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.