Feedback on 9.0 release text? Please?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

If I don't hear anything from anyone this weekend, text will be final.

--
                                   -- Josh Berkus
                                      PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Feedback on 9.0 release text? Please?

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> If I don't hear anything from anyone this weekend, text will be final.

You are not talking about the release notes, right?

Date:
On 07/09/2010 10:05 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> If I don't hear anything from anyone this weekend, text will be final.
>
> You are not talking about the release notes, right?

No, the release annoucement.

BTW, based on my little survey I want to add some stuff to the "major
features" section of the release notes before we're final.

--
                                   -- Josh Berkus
                                      PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                                      http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: Feedback on 9.0 release text? Please?

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 9 July 2010 18:08, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On 07/09/2010 10:05 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>
>> Josh Berkus wrote:
>>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> If I don't hear anything from anyone this weekend, text will be final.
>>
>> You are not talking about the release notes, right?
>>

> No, the release annoucement.
>
> BTW, based on my little survey I want to add some stuff to the "major
> features" section of the release notes before we're final.

And here's the link for those who forgot:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/90ReleaseDraft

Thom

Re: Feedback on 9.0 release text? Please?

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 07/09/2010 10:05 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Josh Berkus wrote:
> >> Folks,
> >>
> >> If I don't hear anything from anyone this weekend, text will be final.
> >
> > You are not talking about the release notes, right?
> >

> No, the release annoucement.
>
> BTW, based on my little survey I want to add some stuff to the "major
> features" section of the release notes before we're final.

Sure, that is in flux until the end.

Re: Feedback on 9.0 release text? Please?

From
"Kevin Grittner"
Date:
Thom Brown <thombrown@gmail.com> wrote:

> And here's the link for those who forgot:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/90ReleaseDraft

The new DO statement, which allows scripting without creating a
permanent function object, will be very useful for maintaining the
databases we have distributed around the state.

The new Streaming Replication feature will further enhance the
already-outstanding backup and recovery features in PostgreSQL.  I
look forward to using it.

Feel free to quote me on that.  :-)

-Kevin

Date:
> The new DO statement, which allows scripting without creating a
> permanent function object, will be very useful for maintaining the
> databases we have distributed around the state.
>
> The new Streaming Replication feature will further enhance the
> already-outstanding backup and recovery features in PostgreSQL.  I
> look forward to using it.
>
> Feel free to quote me on that.  :-)

<grin> I'd love to, but we used you last release.

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                                     http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: Feedback on 9.0 release text? Please?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On fre, 2010-07-09 at 10:02 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> If I don't hear anything from anyone this weekend, text will be final.

One problem I can see is that since bullet points are always the point
of focus, the replication features are actually hidden and the casual
reader is lead to believe that 64-bit Windows support is the main
feature of the release.

Date:
> On fre, 2010-07-09 at 10:02 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> If I don't hear anything from anyone this weekend, text will be final.
>
> One problem I can see is that since bullet points are always the point
> of focus, the replication features are actually hidden and the casual
> reader is lead to believe that 64-bit Windows support is the main
> feature of the release.

Oh, yeah, you mentioned that before.

Hmmm, means we should drop a bullet, then.

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                                     http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: Feedback on 9.0 release text? Please?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

Just had a long skype session about the release and overhauled it pretty
significantly.  The new release is shorter, and the bullet list of
features has gone away.

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                                     http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: Feedback on 9.0 release text? Please?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Rob,

> The PostgreSQL Global Development Group announces the release of
> PostgreSQL 9.0, the latest version of the world's leading open source
> relational database. This <<<release/update>>> features advances in

We use the term "update release" to refer to patches and security fixes,
so I don't think we want to use "update" here.

> PostgreSQL 9.0 also includes more than a dozen other major improvements
> enhancing every aspect of <<<building/HUH?>>> database applications,
> including <<</:>>> 64-bit Windows support, conditional and per-column
> triggers, deferrable unique constraints, and high-performance event
> messaging. For a complete list of features, see our release information
> page (link).

Hmmm.  I suppose "building" isn't strictly necessary, and if
unnecessary, should be cut.

> Thanks to the contributions of developers and companies around the
> world, such as NTT Open Source, EnterpriseDB, 2ndQuadrant, Red Hat and
> many others, development and <<<adoption momentum/HUH?>>> is greater
> than ever.

Yeah, I had trouble with the phrasing there and could use some help.
What I really wanted to say is that our project momentum, both for
developing features and for user adoption, is higher/faster than ever.
Thoughts?

Also, if anyone knows a big-name company who contributed a major feature
to 9.0 that I'm not thinking of, please mention them now.

--
                                   -- Josh Berkus
                                      PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                                      http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: Feedback on 9.0 release text? Please?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Sat, 2010-07-10 at 11:11 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Rob,

> > Thanks to the contributions of developers and companies around the
> > world, such as NTT Open Source, EnterpriseDB, 2ndQuadrant, Red Hat and
> > many others, development and <<<adoption momentum/HUH?>>> is greater
> > than ever.
>
> Yeah, I had trouble with the phrasing there and could use some help.
> What I really wanted to say is that our project momentum, both for
> developing features and for user adoption, is higher/faster than ever.
> Thoughts?

Thanks to the many contributors and sponsors around the world such
as ....

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Date:
On Sat, 2010-07-10 at 11:11 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Rob,

> > Thanks to the contributions of developers and companies around the
> > world, such as NTT Open Source, EnterpriseDB, 2ndQuadrant, Red Hat and
> > many others, development and <<<adoption momentum/HUH?>>> is greater
> > than ever.
>
> Yeah, I had trouble with the phrasing there and could use some help.
> What I really wanted to say is that our project momentum, both for
> developing features and for user adoption, is higher/faster than ever.
> Thoughts?

Thanks to the many contributors and sponsors around the world such
as ....

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Re: Feedback on 9.0 release text? Please?

From
Evan Bennett - ABSC
Date:
>> Thanks to the contributions of developers and companies around the
>> world, such as NTT Open Source, EnterpriseDB, 2ndQuadrant, Red Hat and
>> many others, development and <<<adoption momentum/HUH?>>> is greater
>> than ever.
>
>Yeah, I had trouble with the phrasing there and could use some help.
>What I really wanted to say is that our project momentum, both for
>developing features and for user adoption, is higher/faster than ever.

Using your words, you could replace 'development and adoption momentum' with 'user adoption and development momentum'
leadingto:

Thanks to the contributions of developers and companies around the world, such as NTT Open Source, EnterpriseDB,
2ndQuadrant,Red Hat and many others, user adoption and development momentum is greater than ever.

Regards,
  Evan Bennett
  ABSC Group Pty Ltd

This message is for the named person's use only. Privileged / Confidential Information may be contained in this
message.If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of this message to such
person),you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. If you receive this correspondence in error, please
immediatelydelete it from your system and notify the sender. You must not disclose, copy or rely on any part of this
correspondenceif you are not the intended recipient.

Internet communications are not secure and therefore ABSC Group does not accept legal responsibility for the contents
ofthis message. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those
ofABSC Group.

Re: Feedback on 9.0 release text? Please?

From
Rob Napier
Date:
Josh

I made two changes as outlined below. I have no other issues with it. I think it reads well.

On 11/7/10 4:11 AM, "Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> We use the term "update release" to refer to patches and security fixes,
> so I don't think we want to use "update" here.

The repetition is not THAT serious so let's leave the first para as it is.

>> PostgreSQL 9.0 also includes more than a dozen other major improvements
>> enhancing every aspect of <<<building/HUH?>>> database applications,
>> including <<</:>>> 64-bit Windows support, conditional and per-column
>> triggers, deferrable unique constraints, and high-performance event
>> messaging. For a complete list of features, see our release information
>> page (link).
>
> Hmmm.  I suppose "building" isn't strictly necessary, and if
> unnecessary, should be cut.

Does this read better?

PostgreSQL 9.0 includes more than a dozen other major improvements that will enhance every aspect of database application design and performance, including: 64-bit Windows support, conditional and per-column triggers, deferrable unique constraints, and high-performance event messaging.  For a complete list of new features, see our release information page (link).

>> Thanks to the contributions of developers and companies around the
>> world, such as NTT Open Source, EnterpriseDB, 2ndQuadrant, Red Hat and
>> many others, development and <<<adoption momentum/HUH?>>> is greater
>> than ever.
>
> Yeah, I had trouble with the phrasing there and could use some help.
> What I really wanted to say is that our project momentum, both for
> developing features and for user adoption, is higher/faster than ever.
> Thoughts?
>
> Also, if anyone knows a big-name company who contributed a major feature
> to 9.0 that I'm not thinking of, please mention them now.

I like Evan’s suggestion for this para:

Thanks to the contributions of developers and companies around the world, such as NTT Open Source, EnterpriseDB, 2ndQuadrant, Red Hat and many others, user adoption and development momentum is greater than ever.

Regards

Rob Napier

homepage:     www.oncetechnologies.com

Date:
On 11 July 2010 22:05, Rob Napier <rob@doitonce.net.au> wrote:
> Josh
>
> I made two changes as outlined below. I have no other issues with it. I
> think it reads well.
>
> On 11/7/10 4:11 AM, "Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
>> We use the term "update release" to refer to patches and security fixes,
>> so I don't think we want to use "update" here.
>
> The repetition is not THAT serious so let's leave the first para as it is.
>

>>> PostgreSQL 9.0 also includes more than a dozen other major improvements
>>> enhancing every aspect of <<<building/HUH?>>> database applications,
>>> including <<</:>>> 64-bit Windows support, conditional and per-column
>>> triggers, deferrable unique constraints, and high-performance event
>>> messaging. For a complete list of features, see our release information
>>> page (link).
>>
>> Hmmm.  I suppose "building" isn't strictly necessary, and if
>> unnecessary, should be cut.
>
> Does this read better?
>
> PostgreSQL 9.0 includes more than a dozen other major improvements that will
> enhance every aspect of database application design and performance,
> including: 64-bit Windows support, conditional and per-column triggers,
> deferrable unique constraints, and high-performance event messaging.  For a
> complete list of new features, see our release information page (link).
>
>>> Thanks to the contributions of developers and companies around the
>>> world, such as NTT Open Source, EnterpriseDB, 2ndQuadrant, Red Hat and
>>> many others, development and <<<adoption momentum/HUH?>>> is greater
>>> than ever.
>>
>> Yeah, I had trouble with the phrasing there and could use some help.
>> What I really wanted to say is that our project momentum, both for
>> developing features and for user adoption, is higher/faster than ever.
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Also, if anyone knows a big-name company who contributed a major feature
>> to 9.0 that I'm not thinking of, please mention them now.
>
> I like Evan’s suggestion for this para:
>
> Thanks to the contributions of developers and companies around the world,
> such as NTT Open Source, EnterpriseDB, 2ndQuadrant, Red Hat and many others,
> user adoption and development momentum is greater than ever.
>
> Regards
>
> Rob Napier
>
> homepage:     www.oncetechnologies.com

So is this now ready to go for today's update?

Thom

Re: Feedback on 9.0 release text? Please?

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Thom Brown <thombrown@gmail.com> wrote:

> So is this now ready to go for today's update?

Today's update is a beta. The release announcement is for the actual release.

--
Dave Page
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Date:
 12 July 2010 11:35, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Thom Brown <thombrown@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> So is this now ready to go for today's update?
>
> Today's update is a beta. The release announcement is for the actual release.

D'oh!  Of course.

Thom

Date:
> So is this now ready to go for today's update?

What?  Today's just Beta3.

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                                     http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: Feedback on 9.0 release text? Please?

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Date:
On Mon, 2010-07-12 at 14:07 +0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> >> Feel free to quote me on that.  :-)
>
> > <grin> I'd love to, but we used you last release.
>
> Does that really matter? I say quote 'im.

It does to some degree. I mean, if we can only get quotes from the same
people year over year?

JD

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Re: Feedback on 9.0 release text? Please?

From
Michael Alan Brewer
Date:
On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> It does to some degree. I mean, if we can only get quotes from the same
> people year over year?

The return of satisfied customers.  ;)

---Michael Brewer
mbrewer@gmail.com

Date:
On 07/12/2010 10:12 AM, Michael Alan Brewer wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Joshua D. Drake<jd@commandprompt.com>  wrote:
>>
>> It does to some degree. I mean, if we can only get quotes from the same
>> people year over year?

Plus we're already in the position of potentially dropping one or more
quotes from the release due to having too many.  So a returnee is a
no-go, I think.

Speaking of which ... Ed from EnterpriseDB has offered a quote for the
release.  I'm leaning against including it because I feel that we need
to establish the separation between the PostgresQL project and
EnterpriseDB in the minds of the press.

I could see potentially including a quote from him about the momentum of
postgresql development if he were to make such a quote (suggested quote
doesn't help the release much), but I could also see skipping it ... we
have a lot of quotes as-is, and Afilias and MyEmma are still pending.
What do other people think?

(and please let's keep this to "does this benefit the success of the
release and project PR or not" and not "do I like enterprisedb or not")

--

Date:
On Mon, 2010-07-12 at 14:07 +0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> >> Feel free to quote me on that.  :-)
>
> > <grin> I'd love to, but we used you last release.
>
> Does that really matter? I say quote 'im.

It does to some degree. I mean, if we can only get quotes from the same
people year over year?

JD

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Re: Feedback on 9.0 release text? Please?

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 00:59, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On 07/12/2010 10:12 AM, Michael Alan Brewer wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Joshua D. Drake<jd@commandprompt.com>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> It does to some degree. I mean, if we can only get quotes from the same
>>> people year over year?
>
> Plus we're already in the position of potentially dropping one or more
> quotes from the release due to having too many.  So a returnee is a no-go, I
> think.
>
> Speaking of which ... Ed from EnterpriseDB has offered a quote for the
> release.  I'm leaning against including it because I feel that we need to
> establish the separation between the PostgresQL project and EnterpriseDB in
> the minds of the press.

Yeah, I agree with excluding it. There's too much confusion between
those already, IMHO, no need to risk making that worse. I'm sure
EnterpriseDB will put out their own press release soon after ;)

> I could see potentially including a quote from him about the momentum of
> postgresql development if he were to make such a quote (suggested quote
> doesn't help the release much), but I could also see skipping it ... we have
> a lot of quotes as-is, and Afilias and MyEmma are still pending. What do
> other people think?

If we have enough *good* quotes elsewhere, I think go with that. If we
don't, then use a combination, with the proper quote from him.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: Feedback on 9.0 release text? Please?

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 00:59, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> > On 07/12/2010 10:12 AM, Michael Alan Brewer wrote:

> > Plus we're already in the position of potentially dropping one or more
> > quotes from the release due to having too many. ?So a returnee is a no-go, I
> > think.
> >
> > Speaking of which ... Ed from EnterpriseDB has offered a quote for the
> > release. ?I'm leaning against including it because I feel that we need to
> > establish the separation between the PostgresQL project and EnterpriseDB in
> > the minds of the press.
>
> Yeah, I agree with excluding it. There's too much confusion between
> those already, IMHO, no need to risk making that worse. I'm sure
> EnterpriseDB will put out their own press release soon after ;)
>

> > I could see potentially including a quote from him about the momentum of
> > postgresql development if he were to make such a quote (suggested quote
> > doesn't help the release much), but I could also see skipping it ... we have
> > a lot of quotes as-is, and Afilias and MyEmma are still pending. What do
> > other people think?
>
> If we have enough *good* quotes elsewhere, I think go with that. If we
> don't, then use a combination, with the proper quote from him.

Someone just posted about the international space station:

    http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2010-07/msg00394.php

Seems this would be a good source for a quote.