PostgreSQL != MSSQL

From
Rafael Martinez
Date:
Hello

I have been getting a misleading advertisement via Google Adsense almost
everytime I visit a website with information about PostgreSQL and using
adsense.

Adsense redirects you to a Microsoft page with information about MSSQL
in norwegian. This have been happening now for several weeks

This is the page you get redirected to:
http://www.microsoft.com/norge/servers/sql/default.mspx?wt.srch=1

And here you can see a snapshot of what I am talking about:
http://www.postgresql-es.org/sites/default/files/postgresql_microsoft_1.png

Should we do anything about this?

--
 Rafael Martinez, <r.m.guerrero@usit.uio.no>
 University of Oslo, Norway

 PGP Public Key: http://folk.uio.no/rafael/

Re: PostgreSQL != MSSQL

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Rafael Martinez wrote:

> Adsense redirects you to a Microsoft page with information about MSSQL
> in norwegian. This have been happening now for several weeks
>
> This is the page you get redirected to:
> http://www.microsoft.com/norge/servers/sql/default.mspx?wt.srch=1
>
> And here you can see a snapshot of what I am talking about:
> http://www.postgresql-es.org/sites/default/files/postgresql_microsoft_1.png

This is normal Google ad-serving policy; Microsoft probably bought ads
on Postgresql's name.

BTW it's not necessarily Norwegian -- that's just the language that the
site serves you (browser config).

Re: PostgreSQL != MSSQL

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
> And here you can see a snapshot of what I am talking about:
> http://www.postgresql-es.org/sites/default/files/postgresql_microsoft_1.png

I'm amused that Microsoft cares enough about PostgreSQL to target us.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: PostgreSQL != MSSQL

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Josh Berkus<josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>> And here you can see a snapshot of what I am talking about:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql-es.org/sites/default/files/postgresql_microsoft_1.png
>
> I'm amused that Microsoft cares enough about PostgreSQL to target us.

We practically threw a party when Oracle started buying EnterpriseDB
keywords :-)

--
Dave Page

Re: PostgreSQL != MSSQL

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:

>> And here you can see a snapshot of what I am talking about:
>> http://www.postgresql-es.org/sites/default/files/postgresql_microsoft_1.png
>>

> I'm amused that Microsoft cares enough about PostgreSQL to target us.

Yes M$ obviously tries to position MSSQL as a replacement for
PostgreSQL....
Beware, soon they will release the sources under BSD licence!
:->

Regards,
Andreas

Re: PostgreSQL != MSSQL

From
Rafael Martinez
Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Rafael Martinez wrote:
>>
>> And here you can see a snapshot of what I am talking about:
>> http://www.postgresql-es.org/sites/default/files/postgresql_microsoft_1.png
>
> This is normal Google ad-serving policy; Microsoft probably bought ads
> on Postgresql's name.

Well, this is not a big problem for me. But I think it is illegal
according to the 'Editorial & Format Policies' from Google:

https://adwords.google.com/support/bin/static.py?page=guidelines.cs&topic=9271&subtopic=9277

What they are doing is not the tipical keywords registration you do to
target your ads when people search after those keywords. They are using
in their ads a trademark they do not own to promote their product.

regards
--
 Rafael Martinez, <r.m.guerrero@usit.uio.no>
 University of Oslo, Norway

 PGP Public Key: http://folk.uio.no/rafael/

Re: PostgreSQL != MSSQL

From
Joshua Kramer
Date:
> I'm amused that Microsoft cares enough about PostgreSQL to target us.

They must feel that they're still in control of those in the US.  The only
adverts I get when searching on Postgres or PostgreSQL are those for
EnterpriseDB and SqlManager.

--

-----
http://www.globalherald.net/jb01

Re: PostgreSQL != MSSQL

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Rafael Martinez wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Rafael Martinez wrote:
> >>
> >> And here you can see a snapshot of what I am talking about:
> >> http://www.postgresql-es.org/sites/default/files/postgresql_microsoft_1.png
> >
> > This is normal Google ad-serving policy; Microsoft probably bought ads
> > on Postgresql's name.
> >

> Well, this is not a big problem for me. But I think it is illegal
> according to the 'Editorial & Format Policies' from Google:
>
> https://adwords.google.com/support/bin/static.py?page=guidelines.cs&topic=9271&subtopic=9277

Is "Postgresql" a trademark in Norway?

> What they are doing is not the tipical keywords registration you do to
> target your ads when people search after those keywords. They are using
> in their ads a trademark they do not own to promote their product.

Hmm, you're looking for ethical advertising?  Good luck with that ...

I suggest we get a party going or something.  I kinda doubt you're going
to get a lot done about getting the ad removed :-)

Re: PostgreSQL != MSSQL

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 01:27:51PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> I suggest we get a party going or something.  I kinda doubt you're
> going to get a lot done about getting the ad removed :-)

+1 for the party :)

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: PostgreSQL != MSSQL

From
"Leif B. Kristensen"
Date:
On Wednesday 1. July 2009, Rafael Martinez wrote:
>Well, this is not a big problem for me. But I think it is illegal
>according to the 'Editorial & Format Policies' from Google:

Maybe Google has a special policy for deep-pocket clients?
Me And My Database: http://solumslekt.org/blog/

Re: PostgreSQL != MSSQL

From
Jaime Casanova
Date:
On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Andreas Pflug<pgadmin@pse-consulting.de> wrote:

> Yes M$ obviously tries to position MSSQL as a replacement for
> PostgreSQL....
> Beware, soon they will release the sources under BSD licence!
> :->

excellent if that happens!!! we can start to tell people who wants
info on database programming: "go read that code and learn how you
*don't* have to do things"

--
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova

Re: PostgreSQL != MSSQL

From
Chris Browne
Date:
r.m.guerrero@usit.uio.no (Rafael Martinez) writes:
> This is the page you get redirected to:
> http://www.microsoft.com/norge/servers/sql/default.mspx?wt.srch=1
>
> And here you can see a snapshot of what I am talking about:
> http://www.postgresql-es.org/sites/default/files/postgresql_microsoft_1.png
>
> Should we do anything about this?

The AdSense configuration could be set up to filter such things out...

<https://www.google.com/adsense/filter-online>

"The Competitive Ad Filter enables you to block specific ads, such as
competitors' ads, from appearing on your pages. Entering a more
general URL will block a wider range of ads; entering a more specific
URL will block a smaller range of ads."

If one wished to block Microsoft ads, one might certainly do so.

There is a potential for an "arms race" of changing domain names: if
Microsoft were strongly bent on getting listed, they could use a
different domain that mightn't match "microsoft.com", and this could
progress in regrettable ways.
--
"cbbrowne","@","acm.org"
http://linuxfinances.info/info/spiritual.html