How to prove PostgreSQL is "The world's most advanced open-source database"

From
Gabriele Bartolini
Date:
Hi guys,

   recently I sent an abstract to a call for paper at the Italian
Conference for Free Software (www.confsl.org) about PostgreSQL managing
large databases. The paper was rejected because I used the motto "the
world's most advanced open-source database". The objection was: "this
kind of sentences cannot be accepted unless they can be objectively proven".

   My fault was that I did not include the sentence in double quotes.
However, I believe that if they had visited the website, they could have
seen that it is our "motto". Anyway, I learnt the lesson.

   I was wondering if we have some official resources on the
website/documentation that explain why PostgreSQL is the world's most
advanced open-source database, comparing its features with the
opensource "competitors".

   Thanks.

Ciao,
Gabriele

--
 Gabriele Bartolini - 2ndQuadrant Italia
 gabriele.bartolini@2ndQuadrant.it | www.2ndQuadrant.it

Re: How to prove PostgreSQL is "The world's most advanced open-source database"

From
Euler Taveira de Oliveira
Date:
Gabriele Bartolini escreveu:
>   recently I sent an abstract to a call for paper at the Italian
> Conference for Free Software (www.confsl.org) about PostgreSQL managing
> large databases. The paper was rejected because I used the motto "the
> world's most advanced open-source database". The objection was: "this
> kind of sentences cannot be accepted unless they can be objectively
> proven".

Shame on them for not knowing the known-postgresql-slogan.

>   I was wondering if we have some official resources on the
> website/documentation that explain why PostgreSQL is the world's most
> advanced open-source database, comparing its features with the
> opensource "competitors".

Wikipedia [1]? Troels's Website [2]?

[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_relational_database_management_systems
[2] http://troels.arvin.dk/db/rdbms/

--
  Euler Taveira de Oliveira
  http://www.timbira.com/

Re: How to prove PostgreSQL is "The world's most advanced open-source database"

From
Gabriele Bartolini
Date:
Ciao,

Euler Taveira de Oliveira ha scritto:
> Shame on them for not knowing the known-postgresql-slogan.

I agree. As I said, it just took to visit the website and understand it.
The event is organised by academics, so I may partially understand their
objections - although we are not talking about a research paper.

However, I got another talk accepted: a focus on the role of open-source
software in Education, with particular attention to the PostgreSQL
community.
> Wikipedia [1]? Troels's Website [2]?

Thanks for pointing out those resources - I had got them through a
website search with the "comparison" keyword. However, I am suggesting
to add a paragraph (or two) in the website that explains why it is
considered the most advanced one in the open-source context, with a
reference to those resources.

Thanks,
Gabriele

--

Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
> Ciao,
>
> Euler Taveira de Oliveira ha scritto:
> > Shame on them for not knowing the known-postgresql-slogan.
> >
> I agree. As I said, it just took to visit the website and understand it.
> The event is organised by academics, so I may partially understand their
> objections - although we are not talking about a research paper.
>
> However, I got another talk accepted: a focus on the role of open-source
> software in Education, with particular attention to the PostgreSQL
> community.
> > Wikipedia [1]? Troels's Website [2]?
> >
> Thanks for pointing out those resources - I had got them through a
> website search with the "comparison" keyword. However, I am suggesting
> to add a paragraph (or two) in the website that explains why it is
> considered the most advanced one in the open-source context, with a
> reference to those resources.

I came up with the slogan in 1997 or 1998 to distinguish us from other
open source databases, namely MySQL at the time.  (MySQL then took the
"most popular" open source database moniker a few years after that.)

I felt our plug-in architecture and MVCC storage system allowed us to
claim that title (InnoDB didn't have MVCC at the time).  I am not sure
how you would prove our motto, but no one has disputed it as far as I
know.