Re: How to prove PostgreSQL is "The world's most advanced open-source database" - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: How to prove PostgreSQL is "The world's most advanced open-source database"
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
> Ciao,
>
> Euler Taveira de Oliveira ha scritto:
> > Shame on them for not knowing the known-postgresql-slogan.
> >
> I agree. As I said, it just took to visit the website and understand it.
> The event is organised by academics, so I may partially understand their
> objections - although we are not talking about a research paper.
>
> However, I got another talk accepted: a focus on the role of open-source
> software in Education, with particular attention to the PostgreSQL
> community.
> > Wikipedia [1]? Troels's Website [2]?
> >
> Thanks for pointing out those resources - I had got them through a
> website search with the "comparison" keyword. However, I am suggesting
> to add a paragraph (or two) in the website that explains why it is
> considered the most advanced one in the open-source context, with a
> reference to those resources.

I came up with the slogan in 1997 or 1998 to distinguish us from other
open source databases, namely MySQL at the time.  (MySQL then took the
"most popular" open source database moniker a few years after that.)

I felt our plug-in architecture and MVCC storage system allowed us to
claim that title (InnoDB didn't have MVCC at the time).  I am not sure
how you would prove our motto, but no one has disputed it as far as I
know.