pgsql announce now on twitter

From
Douglas J Hunley
Hi everyone:
I really wanted to let everyone know that I've created @PGSQL_Announce on
Twitter and setup a cron job to parse the feed and post it to Twitter.
It's been working for a little while now and I think it's stable enough to
announce to the world.

Forgive me if this isn't the way to announce this, or if I'm stepping on
someone's toes. I checked Twitter and didn't see anything existing for this,
so I decided to scratch my own itch. :) If anyone with PGSQL wants it shut
down or wants to take it and make it official, just ping me. Otherwise, I hope
someone can find use in this.

(PS - I'm not on these lists. CC me if you want me to see your response)

--
Douglas "Just-scratching-his-own-itch" Hunley (doug at hunley.homeip.net)

Re: [GENERAL] pgsql announce now on twitter

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 07:58 +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2009-03-03 21:38:39, schrieb Douglas J Hunley:
> > Hi everyone:
> > I really wanted to let everyone know that I've created @PGSQL_Announce on
> > Twitter and setup a cron job to parse the feed and post it to Twitter.
> > It's been working for a little while now and I think it's stable enough to
> > announce to the world.
>
> For What?  --  Increasing Twitter-Spam?

Not sure what the complainer is talking about here. pgsql-announce is
moderated so spam should be almost nil.

Anyway, I think this is a great thing that you have done as it allows
further exposure to our great project. Good Work.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: [GENERAL] pgsql announce now on twitter

From
Christophe
Date:
On Mar 4, 2009, at 9:54 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Not sure what the complainer is talking about here. pgsql-announce is
> moderated so spam should be almost nil.

I'm not 100% sure what "Twitter spam" *is*, for that matter.

Re: [GENERAL] pgsql announce now on twitter

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 04/03/2009 17:54, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Anyway, I think this is a great thing that you have done as it allows
> further exposure to our great project. Good Work.

+1

I think it's a great idea.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: [GENERAL] pgsql announce now on twitter

From
Andrej
Date:
2009/3/5 Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com>:
> Not sure what the complainer is talking about here. pgsql-announce is
> moderated so spam should be almost nil.
Isn't she the one who keeps complaining about the reply-to-all
on the list and isn't subscribed because of the volume? ;}

Re: [GENERAL] pgsql announce now on twitter

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Christophe wrote:

> On Mar 4, 2009, at 9:54 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Not sure what the complainer is talking about here. pgsql-announce is
>> moderated so spam should be almost nil.
>
> I'm not 100% sure what "Twitter spam" *is*, for that matter.

Redundant.

;-)

--Josh

Re: [GENERAL] pgsql announce now on twitter

From
Mark Styles
Date:
On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 09:38:39PM -0500, Douglas J Hunley wrote:
> I really wanted to let everyone know that I've created @PGSQL_Announce on
> Twitter and setup a cron job to parse the feed and post it to Twitter.
> It's been working for a little while now and I think it's stable enough to
> announce to the world.

Nice, how about doing the same for http://identi.ca? Support the open
source alternatives...

--
Mark
http://www.lambic.co.uk

Attachment

Date:
On Wednesday 04 March 2009 15:39:36 Mark Styles wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 09:38:39PM -0500, Douglas J Hunley wrote:
> > I really wanted to let everyone know that I've created @PGSQL_Announce on
> > Twitter and setup a cron job to parse the feed and post it to Twitter.
> > It's been working for a little while now and I think it's stable enough
> > to announce to the world.
>
> Nice, how about doing the same for http://identi.ca? Support the open
> source alternatives...

That was suggested in private reply as well. I'd never even looked at it, but
have added it to my 'todo' list.

--
Douglas J Hunley (doug at hunley.homeip.net)

Re: pgsql announce now on twitter

From
Douglas J Hunley
Date:
On Wednesday 04 March 2009 01:58:14 Michelle Konzack wrote:
>   Am 2009-03-03 21:38:39, schrieb Douglas J Hunley:
> > Hi everyone:
> > I really wanted to let everyone know that I've created @PGSQL_Announce on
> > Twitter and setup a cron job to parse the feed and post it to Twitter.
> > It's been working for a little while now and I think it's stable enough
> > to announce to the world.
>
> For What?  --  Increasing Twitter-Spam?

I increasingly find myself travelling between our offices or in the data center
and away from my email/feed reader. But, I always have my phone, so getting
the updates via SMS was a win for me

> Twitter is the last crap, sending me between 30 and 150  spams  per  day
> and the Abuse Departement does not react.  I was forced to block Twitter
> entirely on my Mailserver since they have even spamed my postmaster  and
> abuse address.

I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience. If I could do something for you, I
would. I'm also not at all sure what led to your situation as I literally
receive /no/ emails from Twitter. It's all SMS for me.

> > (PS - I'm not on these lists. CC me if you want me to see your response)
>
> Done

Thanks!
--
Douglas J Hunley (doug at hunley.homeip.net)

Re: [GENERAL] pgsql announce now on twitter

From
Dan Langille
Date:
Mark Styles wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 09:38:39PM -0500, Douglas J Hunley wrote:
>> I really wanted to let everyone know that I've created @PGSQL_Announce on
>> Twitter and setup a cron job to parse the feed and post it to Twitter.
>> It's been working for a little while now and I think it's stable enough to
>> announce to the world.
>
> Nice, how about doing the same for http://identi.ca? Support the open
> source alternatives...

That was done about 22 hours ago according to this:

   http://twitter.com/PGSQL_Announce/status/1281937759

--
Dan Langille

Date:
On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 09:44:58AM -0500, Douglas J Hunley wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 March 2009 15:39:36 Mark Styles wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 09:38:39PM -0500, Douglas J Hunley wrote:
> > > I really wanted to let everyone know that I've created @PGSQL_Announce on
> > > Twitter and setup a cron job to parse the feed and post it to Twitter.
> > > It's been working for a little while now and I think it's stable enough
> > > to announce to the world.
> >
> > Nice, how about doing the same for http://identi.ca? Support the open
> > source alternatives...
>
> Done. The account is pgsqlanounce

Good stuff!

BTW, Identica has group support, and I created a postgres group a while
ago. You can join it here:

http://identi.ca/group/postgres

--
Mark
http://www.lambic.co.uk

Date:
On Wednesday 04 March 2009 15:39:36 Mark Styles wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 09:38:39PM -0500, Douglas J Hunley wrote:
> > I really wanted to let everyone know that I've created @PGSQL_Announce on
> > Twitter and setup a cron job to parse the feed and post it to Twitter.
> > It's been working for a little while now and I think it's stable enough
> > to announce to the world.
>
> Nice, how about doing the same for http://identi.ca? Support the open
> source alternatives...

Done. The account is pgsqlanounce
--
Douglas J Hunley (doug at hunley.homeip.net)

Re: pgsql announce now on twitter

From
Michelle Konzack
Date:
Am 2009-03-03 21:38:39, schrieb Douglas J Hunley:
> Hi everyone:
> I really wanted to let everyone know that I've created @PGSQL_Announce on
> Twitter and setup a cron job to parse the feed and post it to Twitter.
> It's been working for a little while now and I think it's stable enough to
> announce to the world.

For What?  --  Increasing Twitter-Spam?

> Forgive me if this isn't the way to announce this, or if I'm stepping on
> someone's toes. I checked Twitter and didn't see anything existing for this,
> so I decided to scratch my own itch. :) If anyone with PGSQL wants it shut
> down or wants to take it and make it official, just ping me. Otherwise, I hope
> someone can find use in this.

Twitter is the last crap, sending me between 30 and 150  spams  per  day
and the Abuse Departement does not react.  I was forced to block Twitter
entirely on my Mailserver since they have even spamed my postmaster  and
abuse address.

> (PS - I'm not on these lists. CC me if you want me to see your response)

Done

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/>               <http://www.can4linux.org/>
+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

Attachment

Date:
On Thursday 05 March 2009 21:15:08 Mark Styles wrote:
> BTW, Identica has group support, and I created a postgres group a while
> ago. You can join it here:
>
> http://identi.ca/group/postgres

Joined

--