Anyone do video streaming / podcasting?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

Last month, David Fetter used Skype to link Postgres geeks in China into our
monthly SFPUG meeting for Jeff Davis' presentation.  This was extremely
popular with the folks in China and they'd like to do it again.

We're looking for inexpensive video podcasting equipment to start doing video
of the SFPUG presentations.  Ideally, we'd really like to stream so that
viewers abroad can ask questions over chat.

However, neither David nor I have done video streaming or podcasting before.
We'd like to find good-but-affordable equipment and some kind of free/cheap
streaming service.  Not sure where to start, though.  Help?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL

Re: Anyone do video streaming / podcasting?

From
Guido Barosio
Date:
Josh, sfpug foks,

    For a simple-to-medium complexity piece of software consider
Garageband, an Apple OS X solution that helps you create episodes and
works optimal. I can imagine a few of you poring macs, so that's why I
am suggesting this.

    You can start with a single external mic, or even your internal
mac mic. You may then upgrade that system by using some mixing console
(~50 bucks), enabling more mics (another 50 bucks per mic), picking up
more than one signal (ie, big rooms, questions and answers between the
physical audience and the guy presenting the talk) therefore improving
the quality and experience.

   Note that the previous schema, with the correct software, also
allows you to stream the talks through Internet (radio).

No idea on videoconferencing.

2 cents.

gb.-

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> Last month, David Fetter used Skype to link Postgres geeks in China into our
> monthly SFPUG meeting for Jeff Davis' presentation.  This was extremely
> popular with the folks in China and they'd like to do it again.
>
> We're looking for inexpensive video podcasting equipment to start doing video
> of the SFPUG presentations.  Ideally, we'd really like to stream so that
> viewers abroad can ask questions over chat.
>
> However, neither David nor I have done video streaming or podcasting before.
> We'd like to find good-but-affordable equipment and some kind of free/cheap
> streaming service.  Not sure where to start, though.  Help?
>
> --
> Josh Berkus
> PostgreSQL
> San Francisco

Re: Anyone do video streaming / podcasting?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
> All,
>
> Last month, David Fetter used Skype to link Postgres geeks in China into our
> monthly SFPUG meeting for Jeff Davis' presentation.  This was extremely
> popular with the folks in China and they'd like to do it again.
>
> We're looking for inexpensive video podcasting equipment to start doing video
> of the SFPUG presentations.  Ideally, we'd really like to stream so that
> viewers abroad can ask questions over chat.
>
> However, neither David nor I have done video streaming or podcasting before.
> We'd like to find good-but-affordable equipment and some kind of free/cheap
> streaming service.  Not sure where to start, though.  Help?

Yugma is pretty interesting. It allows remote desktop etc.. works on
linux/mac and windows. There is a free and non free version.

There is also openmeeting which is like gotomeeting but opensource and
flash based.

As far as "recording" your meetings nothing beats and 300 handycam with
firewire. For linux use Kino for Mac use Imovie or whatever it is.

PgUS is considering using Yugma Pro for a bunch of stuff.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Anyone do video streaming / podcasting?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

Hmmm.  Most of these recommendations aren't really what I was thinking
of.  We really want a camera in the room to record the speaker and the
slides rather than screencasting.  And we'd like it to have good sound.

So I was looking for recommendations on good-but-affordable camera,
microphones, etc.

As well as an orientation on *how* to do live streaming video.

--Josh

Date:
> All,
>
> Hmmm.  Most of these recommendations aren't really what I was thinking
> of.  We really want a camera in the room to record the speaker and the
> slides rather than screencasting.  And we'd like it to have good sound.
>
> So I was looking for recommendations on good-but-affordable camera,
> microphones, etc.

Oh! well PGEast/West uses a Panasonic GS90P. Seems to do the job just
fine.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
   The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Re: Anyone do video streaming / podcasting?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> Oh! well PGEast/West uses a Panasonic GS90P. Seems to do the job just
> fine.

Yes?  How did you deal with mikes?

--Josh

Re: Anyone do video streaming / podcasting?

From
Guido Barosio
Date:
Oh.

I recently bought a Casio Exilim Camera that comes with a "Youtube
compatible" sticker in the front. Rocks, extremely easy.

http://cameras.about.com/od/compactcamerareviews/gr/casioyoutube.htm

It won't stream, but it will record your video with no headaches!

I can certainly imagine a PostgreSQL youtube channel for advocacy purposes.

gb.-

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 6:51 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> Hmmm.  Most of these recommendations aren't really what I was thinking of.
>  We really want a camera in the room to record the speaker and the slides
> rather than screencasting.  And we'd like it to have good sound.
>
> So I was looking for recommendations on good-but-affordable camera,
> microphones, etc.
>
> As well as an orientation on *how* to do live streaming video.
>
> --Josh

Re: [sfpug] Anyone do video streaming / podcasting?

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 06:57:05PM -0200, Guido Barosio wrote:
> Oh.
>
> I recently bought a Casio Exilim Camera that comes with a "Youtube
> compatible" sticker in the front.  Rocks, extremely easy.
>
> http://cameras.about.com/od/compactcamerareviews/gr/casioyoutube.htm
>
> It won't stream, but it will record your video with no headaches!

I think that's the sticking point.  What made the earlier (kludged-up,
awful) thing I did work so well was that it was live and let the folks
in Beijing ask questions while the talk was still going.

> I can certainly imagine a PostgreSQL youtube channel for advocacy purposes.

That would be excellent!

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Date:
> Josh,
>
> > Oh! well PGEast/West uses a Panasonic GS90P. Seems to do the job just
> > fine.
>
> Yes?  How did you deal with mikes?

We just recording directly to the mic on the camera. The downside is you
will pick up the environmental noise but it wasn't bad. There are
other's that would allow direct av in for the sound I am sure.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
   The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Re: Anyone do video streaming / podcasting?

From
Rob Napier
Date:
I use an audio-technica PRO 88W wireless mike that I bought in New York at a
camera store. It works really well. It cost less than $100, I believe. I
don't expect to ever need another in the next 20 years. So I figure it is a
good investment. The batteries last about 8 hours. So if you want to go
wireless, figure on going through some batteries or get a recharger!

Rob

On 4/2/09 10:14 AM, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 13:01 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Josh,
>>
>>> Oh! well PGEast/West uses a Panasonic GS90P. Seems to do the job just
>>> fine.
>>
>> Yes?  How did you deal with mikes?
>>

> We just recording directly to the mic on the camera. The downside is you
> will pick up the environmental noise but it wasn't bad. There are
> other's that would allow direct av in for the sound I am sure.
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

>> --Josh

Re: [sfpug] Anyone do video streaming / podcasting?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Tue, 3 Feb 2009, David Fetter wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 06:57:05PM -0200, Guido Barosio wrote:
>> Oh.
>>
>> I recently bought a Casio Exilim Camera that comes with a "Youtube
>> compatible" sticker in the front.  Rocks, extremely easy.
>>
>> http://cameras.about.com/od/compactcamerareviews/gr/casioyoutube.htm
>>
>> It won't stream, but it will record your video with no headaches!
>
> I think that's the sticking point.  What made the earlier (kludged-up,
> awful) thing I did work so well was that it was live and let the folks
> in Beijing ask questions while the talk was still going.
>
>> I can certainly imagine a PostgreSQL youtube channel for advocacy purposes.
>
> That would be excellent!

the BSD community just got one of those for that purpose too ... could
start getting podcasts together of the various conference talks too ...

----

Re: [sfpug] Anyone do video streaming / podcasting?

From
Christophe
Date:
I can provide all manner of camera equipment and sound goodies for
"record now / play back later" video, and will be happy to help tape
meetings (video production is my day job).  The trick is getting the
streaming part set up.  You need:

1. A machine that can do the on-the-fly encoding;
2. A fast enough link to upload it in realtime;
3. A content delivery network to push it out.

This might be an opportunity to approach some of the CDNs to see if
they'd be up for doing this as corporate sponsorship.  I have a mate
who works at BitGravity, and I'll approach him about it.

-- Christophe

Re: [sfpug] Anyone do video streaming / podcasting?

From
Jonathan Fuerth
Date:
On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 9:41 PM, Christophe <xof@thebuild.com> wrote:
> I can provide all manner of camera equipment and sound goodies for "record
> now / play back later" video, and will be happy to help tape meetings (video
> production is my day job).  The trick is getting the streaming part set up.
>  You need:
>
> 1. A machine that can do the on-the-fly encoding;
> 2. A fast enough link to upload it in realtime;
> 3. A content delivery network to push it out.
>
> This might be an opportunity to approach some of the CDNs to see if they'd
> be up for doing this as corporate sponsorship.  I have a mate who works at
> BitGravity, and I'll approach him about it.

I don't think anybody has mentioned ustream yet. When I was working on
the Blinkenlights Stereoscope installation, we used ustream to
distribute a live video feed of the building around the world. We also
used it ourselves for monitoring, since we were in the building. It
worked fine! The round-trip delay was maybe 3-4 seconds.

It does require a machine that supports audio and video capture via
Adobe Flash Player, but plug a firewire camera into pretty much any
Mac, and you've got that taken care of.

See http://www.ustream.tv/get-started for details.

-Jonathan