Argentina Press Contact

From
"Guido Barosio"
Date:
Dear all,

     Can we please consider a review of Argentina's Press Contact? I
am not proposing myself but just asking to review this because
Argentina's Press Contact has not appeared for a long time now and I
don't understand why he is taking the role if he is not helping the
cause.

gb.-

Re: Argentina Press Contact

From
"Santiago Zarate"
Date:
We've got a similar situation in Venezuela even if i dont see that our
comunity is so active... i haven't been able to contact the Venezuela
Press Contact, Cesar Villanueva (tried few times months ago... by mail
and phone) who is also holding the postgresql.org.ve domain and some
other stuff...

2008/11/25 Guido Barosio <gbarosio@gmail.com>:
> Dear all,
>
>     Can we please consider a review of Argentina's Press Contact? I
> am not proposing myself but just asking to review this because
> Argentina's Press Contact has not appeared for a long time now and I
> don't understand why he is taking the role if he is not helping the
> cause.
>
> gb.-

Re: Argentina Press Contact

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Santiago Zarate escribió:
> We've got a similar situation in Venezuela even if i dont see that our
> comunity is so active... i haven't been able to contact the Venezuela
> Press Contact, Cesar Villanueva (tried few times months ago... by mail
> and phone) who is also holding the postgresql.org.ve domain and some
> other stuff...

This is why it's a bad idea to let individuals hold the rights to the
domains.  They disappear or go nuts, and the community is screwed.

I hereby propose we add Guido and Santiago as contacts for AR and VE
respectively (after all, an alias can be used for more than one person,
right?)

Re: Argentina Press Contact

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Alvaro,

> This is why it's a bad idea to let individuals hold the rights to the
> domains.  They disappear or go nuts, and the community is screwed.

Given that we don't have a spanish-speaking non-profit, where would they
donated the domains?

> I hereby propose we add Guido and Santiago as contacts for AR and VE
> respectively (after all, an alias can be used for more than one person,
> right?)

Have *you* tried contacting Cesar or Cristian?  I'm not going to change
things on people who have translated press releases for me for five
years without talking to them first.  It's just polite.

So I'll move on this after I get back from American Thanksgiving, since
right now I'm limited to dial-up internet and it's kind of slow.

--Josh Berkus

Re: Argentina Press Contact

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 02:21:45PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Alvaro,
>
>> This is why it's a bad idea to let individuals hold the rights to
>> the domains.  They disappear or go nuts, and the community is
>> screwed.
>
> Given that we don't have a spanish-speaking non-profit, where would
> they  donated the domains?
>
>> I hereby propose we add Guido and Santiago as contacts for AR and
>> VE respectively (after all, an alias can be used for more than one
>> person, right?)
>
> Have *you* tried contacting Cesar or Cristian?  I'm not going to
> change  things on people who have translated press releases for me
> for five  years without talking to them first.  It's just polite.

As I did at the very delightful PgDay.AR, I propose that we add people
to those press contacts rather than replacing, and monitor who
actually does stuff, for some pre-defined targets of "does stuff."

> So I'll move on this after I get back from American Thanksgiving, since
> right now I'm limited to dial-up internet and it's kind of slow.

Tofurkey?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Argentina Press Contact

From
"Santiago Zarate"
Date:
2008/11/27 David Fetter <david@fetter.org>:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 02:21:45PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Alvaro,
>>
>>> This is why it's a bad idea to let individuals hold the rights to
>>> the domains.  They disappear or go nuts, and the community is
>>> screwed.
>>
>> Given that we don't have a spanish-speaking non-profit, where would
>> they  donated the domains?
>>
>>> I hereby propose we add Guido and Santiago as contacts for AR and
>>> VE respectively (after all, an alias can be used for more than one
>>> person, right?)
>>
>> Have *you* tried contacting Cesar or Cristian?  I'm not going to
>> change  things on people who have translated press releases for me
>> for five  years without talking to them first.  It's just polite.

if you're talking to me... Well... i tried some time ago to contact
Cesar, but he didnt answer, and also the ve@poostgresql.org mailbox
was full last time i checked... tho i understand your point, and makes
sense double checking this

> As I did at the very delightful PgDay.AR, I propose that we add people
> to those press contacts rather than replacing, and monitor who
> actually does stuff, for some pre-defined targets of "does stuff."

+1 in fact, i guess this should be done for each press contact... so
we have a failback person...

>> So I'll move on this after I get back from American Thanksgiving, since
>> right now I'm limited to dial-up internet and it's kind of slow.

i'm not hurry :p

See ya...

> Tofurkey?
>
> Cheers,
> David.
> --
> David Fetter <david@fetter.org> http://fetter.org/
> Phone: +1 415 235 3778  AIM: dfetter666  Yahoo!: dfetter
> Skype: davidfetter      XMPP: david.fetter@gmail.com
>
> Remember to vote!
> Consider donating to Postgres: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

Re: Argentina Press Contact

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On 26 nov 2008, at 23.21, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Alvaro,
>
>> This is why it's a bad idea to let individuals hold the rights to the
>> domains.  They disappear or go nuts, and the community is screwed.
>
> Given that we don't have a spanish-speaking non-profit, where would
> they donated the domains?

Why would it need to be Spanish speaking? I'm sure that's not a
requirement to own a domain.

That said, I'm also sure we can find individuals in most of the
existing non-profits who speak Spanish if that's needed.

/Magnus

Re: Argentina Press Contact

From
"Emanuel Calvo Franco"
Date:
2008/11/27 Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>:
> On 26 nov 2008, at 23.21, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
>> Alvaro,
>>
>>> This is why it's a bad idea to let individuals hold the rights to the
>>> domains.  They disappear or go nuts, and the community is screwed.
>>
>> Given that we don't have a spanish-speaking non-profit, where would they
>> donated the domains?
>
> Why would it need to be Spanish speaking? I'm sure that's not a requirement
> to own a domain.
>
> That said, I'm also sure we can find individuals in most of the existing
> non-profits who speak Spanish if that's needed.
>
> /Magnus

Just to know ...
what are the functions that had the press contact?
It is the obligation of it, that this asset in the community and in
promoting pgsql?
Someone who uses a position for personal benefit, I
think it doesn't rich the promotion of pgsql ...

      Emanuel Calvo Franco
Syscope Postgresql Consultant
     ArPUG / AOSUG Member

Re: Argentina Press Contact

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thursday 27 November 2008 02:11:08 Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On 26 nov 2008, at 23.21, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> > Alvaro,
> >
> >> This is why it's a bad idea to let individuals hold the rights to the
> >> domains.  They disappear or go nuts, and the community is screwed.
> >
> > Given that we don't have a spanish-speaking non-profit, where would
> > they donated the domains?
>
> Why would it need to be Spanish speaking? I'm sure that's not a
> requirement to own a domain.
>
> That said, I'm also sure we can find individuals in most of the
> existing non-profits who speak Spanish if that's needed.

I mentioned on the www list, but as long as the country allows for foriegn
companies to register domains, I think using SPI as a resource for this is a
very good idea; we just need someone semi-local to help do research to ensure
that we can do this, and we can try and make it happen.

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net

Re: Argentina Press Contact

From
"Santiago Zarate"
Date:
Hi Cesar, in my case, i'm specifically talking about postgresql.org.ve

if you can get in contact with me, plese contactme to this mail or
callme to 04129864175

2008/12/5 Cesar Villanueva <dandelion@cantv.net>:
> Hello All
>
> Actually no, I haven't been contacted until now, so I don't know clearly what
> are you talking about..., ¿domains?
>
> greetings

>> > Have *you* tried contacting Cesar or Cristian?  I'm not going to
>> > change  things on people who have translated press releases for me
>> > for five  years without talking to them first.  It's just polite.
>>
>> As I did at the very delightful PgDay.AR, I propose that we add people
>> to those press contacts rather than replacing, and monitor who
>> actually does stuff, for some pre-defined targets of "does stuff."
>>
>> > So I'll move on this after I get back from American Thanksgiving, since
>> > right now I'm limited to dial-up internet and it's kind of slow.
>>
>> Tofurkey?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David.
>
> --
> Cesar Villanueva

Re: Argentina Press Contact

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Cesar Villanueva wrote:
> Hello All
>
> Actually no, I haven't been contacted until now, so I don't know clearly what
> are you talking about..., ¿domains?

Hey, Cesar.  You need to clean out your @postgresql.org mailbox ... it's
full of spam, and is now bouncing incoming mails.

--Josh

Re: Argentina Press Contact

From
Cesar Villanueva