Last Week to Participate in PostgreSQL Certification JTA Survey

From
"Gregory S. Youngblood"

Hello Everyone!

The PostgreSQL Certification JTA Survey currently underway is nearing its conclusion. The survey will close November 14th at which time the process of reviewing and analyzing the responses will begin. That leaves just under a week to give your thoughts on how a community driven certification should look.

We ask everyone that has not taken the survey to please take a few minutes and follow the instructions below to participate. It is only by your participation that the certification created by this project will be able provide real value to, and reflect the needs and desires of, the PostgreSQL community.

We thank everyone that has already taken the survey. Your answers will be very helpful in the next stage of this project.

How to Participate

To take the survey, please register at:

http://www.postgresqlcertification.org/jta

The registration process takes just a couple of minutes. Once registration is complete and you are logged in, click JTA in the menu followed by “participate in the survey” (http://www.postgresqlcertification.org/job_task_analysis). The survey takes approximately 30 minutes to complete.

Who Should Participate?

Everyone! The entire point of this project is to create a certification by and for the PostgreSQL Community. Do you know someone that uses or is considering using PostgreSQL or another database? Encourage them to participate in the survey as well.

About the PostgreSQL Certification Project

The primary focus of the PostgreSQL Certification Project is the creation and support of a community driven and endorsed series of tiered certifications that provide a standardized method of identifying the knowledge and skills of database professionals working with PostgreSQL.

For more information please visit the project’s site at http://www.postgresqlcertification.org.

If you are interested in joining the project you may subscribe to the project’s mailing list at:

Re: Last Week to Participate in PostgreSQL Certification JTA Survey

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Greg,

> The PostgreSQL Certification JTA Survey currently underway is nearing
> its conclusion. The survey will close November 14^th at which time the
> process of reviewing and analyzing the responses will begin. That leaves
> just under a week to give your thoughts on how a community driven
> certification should look.

As did many, if not most, other people, I found it impossible to submit
the survey form.  I think you need to do this effort over, using better
technology.

--Josh

Re: Last Week to Participate in PostgreSQL Certification JTA Survey

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 22:31 +0100, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Greg,
>
> > The PostgreSQL Certification JTA Survey currently underway is nearing
> > its conclusion. The survey will close November 14^th at which time the
> > process of reviewing and analyzing the responses will begin. That leaves
> > just under a week to give your thoughts on how a community driven
> > certification should look.
>
> As did many, if not most, other people, I found it impossible to submit
> the survey form.  I think you need to do this effort over, using better
> technology.

I am sorry you are having trouble Josh. It might be helpful if you let
the certification project know you were having problems. That is over
here:

http://www.postgresqlcertification.org/

There is also a mailing list here:

Where you could report such an issue.

I would not let this issue sour your experience. The PostgreSQL
Certification project has garnered a 50% response rate on the JTA. That
is Presidential election percentages. I am quite pleased with the
result.

I would also note that all reports we have had of people not being able
to take the survey is because they didn't set up an account. I notice
that you "just" set up your account. Are you still having issues? What
is the error you are receiving?

Joshua D. Drake

--

Re: Last Week to Participate in PostgreSQL Certification JTA Survey

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> I am sorry you are having trouble Josh. It might be helpful if you let
> the certification project know you were having problems. That is over
> here:

I didn't bother because I saw that there were already several dozen
comments reporting exactly my issues, and that these comments had not
been responded to on the page.

> I would not let this issue sour your experience. The PostgreSQL
> Certification project has garnered a 50% response rate on the JTA. That
> is Presidential election percentages. I am quite pleased with the
> result.

Um, 50% of what?

> I would also note that all reports we have had of people not being able
> to take the survey is because they didn't set up an account. I notice
> that you "just" set up your account. Are you still having issues? What
> is the error you are receiving?

I get the nonsensical questions which others have already reported.  I
also get the "this page has performed an illegal operation" error, which
prevents submitting the survey.

--Josh

Date:
On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 23:01 +0100, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh,
>
> > I am sorry you are having trouble Josh. It might be helpful if you let
> > the certification project know you were having problems. That is over
> > here:
>
> I didn't bother because I saw that there were already several dozen
> comments reporting exactly my issues, and that these comments had not
> been responded to on the page.

I just reviewed the comments and the page doesn't reflect your
observations. There are 14 (at the time of this writing) comments of
which 11 are feedback and suggestions for improvement to the JTA. We
will review those comments as the JTA closes. We can't change the survey
in the middle of the submission period, it would invalidate the survey.
There are 3 comments pointing out specific problems in submission which
are certainly unfortunate.

I am reviewing this page which you can only get to if logged in:

http://www.postgresqlcertification.org/job_task_analysis

If you are viewing a page that has feedback that is more in line with
your observations please let the project know so we can resolve the
issues.

> > I would not let this issue sour your experience. The PostgreSQL
> > Certification project has garnered a 50% response rate on the JTA. That
> > is Presidential election percentages. I am quite pleased with the
> > result.
>
> Um, 50% of what?

So far 50% of 400.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--

Re: Last Week to Participate in PostgreSQL Certification JTA Survey

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

>> Um, 50% of what?
>
> So far 50% of 400.

Well, if you have 200 responses, seems like you probably have plenty of
feedback already.

--Josh

Re: Last Week to Participate in PostgreSQL Certification JTA Survey

From
Dan Langille
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh,
>
>>> Um, 50% of what?
>>
>> So far 50% of 400.
>
> Well, if you have 200 responses, seems like you probably have plenty of
> feedback already.

400 what?

Date:
On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 18:18 -0500, Dan Langille wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Josh,

> >> So far 50% of 400.
> >
> > Well, if you have 200 responses, seems like you probably have plenty of
> > feedback already.
>
> 400 what?

We have 400 registered users, of which ~ 200 have responded to the JTA.

Joshua D. Drake

--

Re: Last Week to Participate in PostgreSQL Certification JTA Survey

From
Magnus Hagander

On 11 nov 2008, at 00.20, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 18:18 -0500, Dan Langille wrote:
>> Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> Josh,

>>> Well, if you have 200 responses, seems like you probably have
>>> plenty of
>>> feedback already.
>>
>> 400 what?
>
> We have 400 registered users, of which ~ 200 have responded to the
> JTA.

Afaik the only reason to register a user so far is to fill out the
survey. (the fact that it's yet-another-stupid-web-account is why I
personally haven't bothered to do it yet - probably should ignore that
annoyance-factor before it closes).

If that is so, I find a 50% completion rate from those who *did*
bother to create another account rather alarming really! Why did the
other 50% abort half way?

/Magnus

Re: Last Week to Participate in PostgreSQL Certification JTA Survey

From
"Gregory S. Youngblood"
> On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 18:18 -0500, Dan Langille wrote:
> > Josh Berkus wrote:
> > > Josh,

> > > Well, if you have 200 responses, seems like you probably have
> plenty of
> > > feedback already.
> >
> > 400 what?
>
> We have 400 registered users, of which ~ 200 have responded to the JTA.

[Greg says] That's rather disappointing... that means ~200 took the time to
register but elected not to complete the survey (or ran into bugs/problems).