sqlzoo.net Problems with the PostgreSQL Interactive Tutorial

From
"Richard Broersma"
Date:
I am not sure if anyone is already familiar with this this site.
Andrew Cumming of the School of Computing of Napier University has
developed a very useful turtorial that is an excellent tool for anyone
trying to learn SQL.  The on-line tutorial allows the user to chose
one of the following back-end RDMBS engines ( PostgreSQL | MySQL | MS
SQL Server | DB2 | Oracle ) to test the user entered SQL.

However, it seems that there are problems with the PostgreSQL and MS
SQL Servers back-ends.  The back-end returns various server generated
errors.

I am wondering if the PostgreSQL community would like to offer Andrew
some/any-kind of support for his site to correct any
application/PostgreSQL server errors and at the same time advertise
his site as a reference that newbies coming to PostgreSQL could use
when trying to learning SQL in PostgreSQL.

It would be unfortunate if newbies would discount PostgreSQL for one
of the other RDBMS due to their in-ability to learn SQL using the
PostgreSQL backend.

Here is Andrew's personal info website:
http://www.dcs.napier.ac.uk/~andrew/

Any thoughts?

Richard Broersma Jr.

http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug

Re: sqlzoo.net Problems with the PostgreSQL Interactive Tutorial

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Tuesday 12 August 2008 11:59:05 Richard Broersma wrote:
> I am not sure if anyone is already familiar with this this site.
> Andrew Cumming of the School of Computing of Napier University has
> developed a very useful turtorial that is an excellent tool for anyone
> trying to learn SQL.  The on-line tutorial allows the user to chose
> one of the following back-end RDMBS engines ( PostgreSQL | MySQL | MS
> SQL Server | DB2 | Oracle ) to test the user entered SQL.
>
> However, it seems that there are problems with the PostgreSQL and MS
> SQL Servers back-ends.  The back-end returns various server generated
> errors.
>
> I am wondering if the PostgreSQL community would like to offer Andrew
> some/any-kind of support for his site to correct any
> application/PostgreSQL server errors and at the same time advertise
> his site as a reference that newbies coming to PostgreSQL could use
> when trying to learning SQL in PostgreSQL.
>
> It would be unfortunate if newbies would discount PostgreSQL for one
> of the other RDBMS due to their in-ability to learn SQL using the
> PostgreSQL backend.
>
> Here is Andrew's personal info website:
> http://www.dcs.napier.ac.uk/~andrew/
>
> Any thoughts?

Has anyone followed up on this? If not I can drop him a line.

--
Robert Treat

Re: sqlzoo.net Problems with the PostgreSQL Interactive Tutorial

Date:
I have added http://sqlzoo.net to the main FAQ under learning SQL.

Richard Broersma wrote:
> I am not sure if anyone is already familiar with this this site.
> Andrew Cumming of the School of Computing of Napier University has
> developed a very useful turtorial that is an excellent tool for anyone
> trying to learn SQL.  The on-line tutorial allows the user to chose
> one of the following back-end RDMBS engines ( PostgreSQL | MySQL | MS
> SQL Server | DB2 | Oracle ) to test the user entered SQL.
>
> However, it seems that there are problems with the PostgreSQL and MS
> SQL Servers back-ends.  The back-end returns various server generated
> errors.
>
> I am wondering if the PostgreSQL community would like to offer Andrew
> some/any-kind of support for his site to correct any
> application/PostgreSQL server errors and at the same time advertise
> his site as a reference that newbies coming to PostgreSQL could use
> when trying to learning SQL in PostgreSQL.
>
> It would be unfortunate if newbies would discount PostgreSQL for one
> of the other RDBMS due to their in-ability to learn SQL using the
> PostgreSQL backend.
>
> Here is Andrew's personal info website:
> http://www.dcs.napier.ac.uk/~andrew/
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Richard Broersma Jr.
>
> Visit the Los Angeles PostgreSQL Users Group (LAPUG)
> http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug

Re: sqlzoo.net Problems with the PostgreSQL Interactive Tutorial

From
"Richard Broersma"
Date:
On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 8:25 PM, Robert Treat
<xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 August 2008 11:59:05 Richard Broersma wrote:
>> It would be unfortunate if newbies would discount PostgreSQL for one
>> of the other RDBMS due to their in-ability to learn SQL using the
>> PostgreSQL backend.

> Has anyone followed up on this? If not I can drop him a line.

Robert,

It looks like you were sucessful in fixing this problem.  All of the
PostgreSQL commands that I've tried work.  In fact the results using
the PG back-end seem to be quickest out the of all of the servers that
I've tried.

I even tried issuing the the non-turtorial command: Select Version();
And it worked like a charm.
version
PostgreSQL 8.1.8 on x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC)
4.1.1 20070105 (Red Hat 4.1.1-51)