Booth swag for the absentee enthusiast

From
"Richard Broersma"
Date:
I keep hearing about all of this really cool booth swag.  Due to the
uncertainty in the demands of my work schedule, I can't attend some of
the larger conventions featuring PostgreSQL.

Even thought I can't attend, I would still like to offer my (monetary)
support and hopefully get some of this cool complimentary booth swag
in the process.

Is there any provision for persons like me?

Richard Broersma Jr.

Visit the Los Angles PostgreSQL Users Group (LAPUG)
http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug

Re: Booth swag for the absentee enthusiast

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Richard,

> Is there any provision for persons like me?

We really need to do CafePress and other online stores.  Volunteers to set
this up?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL
San Francisco

Re: Booth swag for the absentee enthusiast

From
Christophe
Date:
On Jul 29, 2008, at 1:09 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> We really need to do CafePress and other online stores.  Volunteers
> to set
> this up?

Happy to help!  I can get accounts going with the various on-line
stores, if that is agreeable.

Re: Booth swag for the absentee enthusiast

From
Decibel!
Date:
On Jul 29, 2008, at 3:07 PM, Christophe wrote:
> On Jul 29, 2008, at 1:09 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> We really need to do CafePress and other online stores.
>> Volunteers to set
>> this up?
>
> Happy to help!  I can get accounts going with the various on-line
> stores, if that is agreeable.

Did this ever happen?
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@decibel.org

Date:
Decibel! wrote:
> On Jul 29, 2008, at 3:07 PM, Christophe wrote:
>> On Jul 29, 2008, at 1:09 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> We really need to do CafePress and other online stores.  Volunteers
>>> to set
>>> this up?
>>
>> Happy to help!  I can get accounts going with the various on-line
>> stores, if that is agreeable.
>

> Did this ever happen?

Nope, and I realized that there is a problem with it.  Money we make
through cafepress etc. is "unrelated business income", so what would
need to happen is that someone would have to receive the money
*personally* then donate it to SPI and deal with the taxes.

Also, for our donation status, it's important that we not offer the same
t-shirt design on cafepress that we do for donations at conferences.
Otherwise the t-shirts at conferences become a sale and we have to pay
tax on them.

--Josh

Date:
On Aug 22, 2008, at 11:15 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Money we make through cafepress etc. is "unrelated business
> income", so what would need to happen is that someone would have to
> receive the money *personally* then donate it to SPI and deal with
> the taxes.

My consulting company could, perhaps, do that by way of corporate
sponsorship.  If that's intriguing, let's discuss it.

Re: Booth swag for the absentee enthusiast

From
Joshua Drake
Date:
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 11:15:57 -0700
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> > Did this ever happen?
>
> Nope, and I realized that there is a problem with it.  Money we make
> through cafepress etc. is "unrelated business income", so what would
> need to happen is that someone would have to receive the money
> *personally* then donate it to SPI and deal with the taxes.

PgUS will have a store, I assume PgEU will as well but I can not speak
for them.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Booth swag for the absentee enthusiast

From
Rob Napier
Date:
If you are thinking about doing a shirt for sale, I have a concept that I’d like to propose.

It’s an idea that I was developing for once:radix but I’d be happy to donate it to PG.

Rob Napier

On 23/8/08 4:15 AM, "Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Decibel! wrote:
>>>
>>> Happy to help!  I can get accounts going with the various on-line
>>> stores, if that is agreeable.
>>

>> Did this ever happen?
>
> Nope, and I realized that there is a problem with it.  Money we make
> through cafepress etc. is "unrelated business income", so what would
> need to happen is that someone would have to receive the money
> *personally* then donate it to SPI and deal with the taxes.
>
> Also, for our donation status, it's important that we not offer the same
> t-shirt design on cafepress that we do for donations at conferences.
> Otherwise the t-shirts at conferences become a sale and we have to pay
> tax on them.
>
> --Josh

Regards

Rob Napier
Managing Director
once:technologies pty ltd

46 Roseneath Street
North Geelong VIC 3215

phone:         +613 5278 6699
facsimile:      +613 5278 6166
mobile:         +61 4344 00000
after hours:  +613 5222 6999

hompage:     www.oncetechnologies.com

Re: Booth swag for the absentee enthusiast

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> PgUS will have a store, I assume PgEU will as well but I can not speak
> for them.

You need to talk to your tax accountant about this then.  There are special
rules around 501(c)3s selling things.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL

Re: Booth swag for the absentee enthusiast

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh,
>
>> PgUS will have a store, I assume PgEU will as well but I can not speak
>> for them.
>
> You need to talk to your tax accountant about this then.  There are special
> rules around 501(c)3s selling things.

Already have :)

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Also, for our donation status, it's important that we not offer the same
> t-shirt design on cafepress that we do for donations at conferences.
> Otherwise the t-shirts at conferences become a sale and we have to pay tax
> on them.

Is there a way to use the convention adopted by Public Television?:
"With a donation of $XX.XX we will send you a complimentary YYYY."

Richard Broersma Jr.

Date:
Richard Broersma wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
>> Also, for our donation status, it's important that we not offer the same
>> t-shirt design on cafepress that we do for donations at conferences.
>> Otherwise the t-shirts at conferences become a sale and we have to pay tax
>> on them.
>
> Is there a way to use the convention adopted by Public Television?:
> "With a donation of $XX.XX we will send you a complimentary YYYY."

That's what we do now.  The issue is that we can't do that on, say,
CafePress, which is a direct commercial sale.  That doesn't mean that we
can't have t-shirts on CafePress ... they just need to be a different
design.

Ideally, we'd mail out t-shirts to donors personally as donation
premiums, and raise a lot of money that way.  However, I don't know that
anyone in our community currrently has the manpower to do this.

--Josh