Opportunity for some .EDU advocacy

From
"Michael Alan Brewer"
Date:
Good morning, y'all! If anyone is interested, I thought I'd send along
to -advocacy a Call for Presentations for the University System of
Georgia's Annual Computing Conference (a gathering of computing
professionals from all of the state's universities and colleges);
I've presented at this conference before, and it's a great opportunity
to advocate PostgreSQL in front of people who can make it happen
statewide.  (There are also opportunities for vendors:
http://www.usg.edu/oiit/re/re08/exhibitorinfo/ )  It's an academic
conference, so there is no stipend or travel funds involved;  however,
they do give free room and board (and no conference fees) to
presenters.  Rock Eagle
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Eagle_Effigy_Mound - the conference
center itself is nearby to this historical monument) is a beautiful
place in the fall;  I'd love to see some of y'all there as presenters
and/or exhibitors. :)

---Michael Brewer
mbrewer@gmail.com

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Deadline Extended
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 07:36:21 -0400
From: Joy Schweiger <bor@ciclt.net>

This email was sent to multiple distribution lists, please disregard
duplications.

The Annual Computing Conference is scheduled October 22 - 24, 2008 at
the Rock Eagle 4-H Camp near Eatonton, Georgia - that's only 4 months
away and the Program Committee is continuing to search for
presentations!

We have extended the deadline for presentation proposals to June 30th!

The Program Planning Committee has asked for presentations within
following topic areas:

Leadership Development
General Networking
Communications (Data, Voice and Video)
Security
Administrative Computing/Data Management
Teaching and Learning Technologies
Web Technologies
Helpdesk
New Vendor Products

To submit presentations for consideration please visit our conference
web site at
http://www.usg.edu/oiit/re/re08/.

The deadline for presentations is now June 30, 2008.
Acceptance/Rejection letters will be mailed July 15,2008. We look
forward to your submittal.

Thank you!

Joy Schweiger

Educational Event & Training Manager

OIIT, University System of Georgia

(404) 656-2256

Re: Opportunity for some .EDU advocacy

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 11:21 -0400, Michael Alan Brewer wrote:
> Good morning, y'all! If anyone is interested, I thought I'd send along
> to -advocacy a Call for Presentations for the University System of
> Georgia's Annual Computing Conference (a gathering of computing
> professionals from all of the state's universities and colleges);

Michael would you be able to attend this? And/Or organize a booth?

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Michael would you be able to attend this? And/Or organize a booth?

It's an easy trip for me;  I'm debating what to send as a presentation
topic.  (Last year, I repeated the "Migrating to PostgreSQL in
Academia" presentation I did at PgCon, with some additional
information on 8.3.)  This year, it'd be good to get some
application-specific presentations loaded (and, if anyone could do a
presentation with PostGIS, that'd be useful;  I don't have enough
experience with it to do so);  I could help with a booth, although I'd
guess that, if we had a booth, we'd want a core person as well.
Oracle will be there, as well as Sun (with their "Sun in Education"
team).

---Michael Brewer
mbrewer@gmail.com

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 12:24 -0400, Michael Alan Brewer wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> >
> > Michael would you be able to attend this? And/Or organize a booth?
>
> It's an easy trip for me;  I'm debating what to send as a presentation
> topic.  (Last year, I repeated the "Migrating to PostgreSQL in
> Academia" presentation I did at PgCon, with some additional
> information on 8.3.)  This year, it'd be good to get some
> application-specific presentations loaded (and, if anyone could do a
> presentation with PostGIS, that'd be useful;  I don't have enough
> experience with it to do so);  I could help with a booth, although I'd
> guess that, if we had a booth, we'd want a core person as well.
> Oracle will be there, as well as Sun (with their "Sun in Education"
> team).

This is at the end of august right? We have quite a few contributors in that Area...
Robert, Chander, Theo what do you think?

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 12:31 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> This is at the end of august right?

Late October: October 22-24.

---Michael Brewer
mbrewer@gmail.com

Re: Opportunity for some .EDU advocacy

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On June 17, 2008 12:31:21 pm Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 12:24 -0400, Michael Alan Brewer wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com>
wrote:
> > > Michael would you be able to attend this? And/Or organize a booth?

> This is at the end of august right? We have quite a few contributors in
> that Area... Robert, Chander, Theo what do you think?

It's possible but it's too soon to tell as it depends on the schedule at the
time.

Robert

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 12:32 -0400, Michael Alan Brewer wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 12:31 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> >
> > This is at the end of august right?
>
> Late October: October 22-24.

Ughh, right after West. I think the thing to do here is see if we can
rally some East Coast troops.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Opportunity for some .EDU advocacy

From
Chander Ganesan
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 12:24 -0400, Michael Alan Brewer wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Michael would you be able to attend this? And/Or organize a booth?
>>>
>> It's an easy trip for me;  I'm debating what to send as a presentation
>> topic.  (Last year, I repeated the "Migrating to PostgreSQL in
>> Academia" presentation I did at PgCon, with some additional
>> information on 8.3.)  This year, it'd be good to get some
>> application-specific presentations loaded (and, if anyone could do a
>> presentation with PostGIS, that'd be useful;  I don't have enough
>> experience with it to do so);  I could help with a booth, although I'd
>> guess that, if we had a booth, we'd want a core person as well.
>> Oracle will be there, as well as Sun (with their "Sun in Education"
>> team).
>>

> This is at the end of august right? We have quite a few contributors in that Area...
> Robert, Chander, Theo what do you think?
>
> Joshua D. Drake

I could probably do something PostGIS, MapServer, OpenLayers related...
Lemme check my calendar and see if I can put something together.

thanks

chander

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 17:30 -0400, Chander Ganesan wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 12:24 -0400, Michael Alan Brewer wrote:

> > This is at the end of august right? We have quite a few contributors in that Area...
> > Robert, Chander, Theo what do you think?
> >
> > Joshua D. Drake
> >
> I could probably do something PostGIS, MapServer, OpenLayers related...
> Lemme check my calendar and see if I can put something together.

O.k. sense it is in October, I could probably go too. That will be right
after West. So if we get Michael, Chander, Robert (both), and I we
should be good to go.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 17:30 -0400, Chander Ganesan wrote:
>
>> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 12:24 -0400, Michael Alan Brewer wrote:
>>>

>>> This is at the end of august right? We have quite a few contributors in that Area...
>>> Robert, Chander, Theo what do you think?
>>>
>>> Joshua D. Drake
>>>

>> I could probably do something PostGIS, MapServer, OpenLayers related...
>> Lemme check my calendar and see if I can put something together.
>>

> O.k. sense it is in October, I could probably go too. That will be right
> after West. So if we get Michael, Chander, Robert (both), and I we
> should be good to go.

Okay.  I submitted 4 abstracts for this one...

chander

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.

Date:
Chander Ganesan wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>>> I could probably do something PostGIS, MapServer, OpenLayers
>>> related...  Lemme check my calendar and see if I can put something
>>> together.
>>>

>> O.k. sense it is in October, I could probably go too. That will be right
>> after West. So if we get Michael, Chander, Robert (both), and I we
>> should be good to go.
>>
> Okay.  I submitted 4 abstracts for this one...
Just an FYI, in case anyone else submitted abstracts.  I never heard
back from the folks at UGA about this conference, but today checked the
speaker schedule for it and noticed that I'm on the hook for a total of
3 talks on the last day of the conference.  If anyone else submitted
abstracts, you might check to see if you are scheduled to speak at the
conference.  The day I am scheduled happens to be the *only* weekday in
the month of October that I am actually free...

The talks I am doing are:

Introduction to Geospatial databases with PostGIS
Choosing an Open Source database: MySQL vs PostgreSQL
Providing Highly Available Network Services with UCARP (a variant of my
PGDay talk at LinuxWorld).

Is there any community presence at this conference (besides me?)

Just a note that folks who submitted abstracts may not have received any
notification that their abstracts were actually accepted....