PostgreSQL Virtual Machines

From
"Mark Wong"
Date:
Hello everyone,

I was wondering what people thought about having virtual machines
available for download (VMware, Xen, kvm, etc.) in addition to having
livecd's?  I figure at least the same basic idea as the livecd to have
many PostgreSQL related software pre-installed and ready to run. I
think it would be good to have more options for how PostgreSQL can be
tried.

Regards,
Mark

Re: PostgreSQL Virtual Machines

From
Dan Langille
Date:
On Apr 11, 2008, at 11:12 PM, Mark Wong wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I was wondering what people thought about having virtual machines
> available for download (VMware, Xen, kvm, etc.) in addition to having
> livecd's?  I figure at least the same basic idea as the livecd to have
> many PostgreSQL related software pre-installed and ready to run. I
> think it would be good to have more options for how PostgreSQL can be
> tried.

I suspect you're asking in order to get feedback on whether or not other
people think it's a good idea.  Don't do that.  Just do it.

Seriously.

If *you* think it's a good idea, go ahead.  That's what is important.
What
*you* think.  Just put one together, and put it out there.  Then ask
people
what they time about that.

--
Dan Langille -- http://www.langille.org/
dan@langille.org

Re: PostgreSQL Virtual Machines

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008, Mark Wong wrote:

> I was wondering what people thought about having virtual machines
> available for download (VMware, Xen, kvm, etc.) in addition to having
> livecd's?

While live CDs are aimed mainly at people looking for a test drive,
virtual machine images have an even broader appeal.  It would be great to
have some of them available just to make cross-platform QA and package
construction easier for people to do.

rdeleonp@gmail.com
Date:
On 4/11/08, Mark Wong <markwkm@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I was wondering what people thought about having virtual machines
> available for download (VMware, Xen, kvm, etc.) in addition to having
> livecd's?  I figure at least the same basic idea as the livecd to have
> many PostgreSQL related software pre-installed and ready to run. I
> think it would be good to have more options for how PostgreSQL can be
> tried.

+1

Good idea.

Regards.

Re: PostgreSQL Virtual Machines

From
"Paragon"

> Hello everyone,
>
> I was wondering what people thought about having virtual machines
> available for download (VMware, Xen, kvm, etc.) in addition to having
> livecd's?  I figure at least the same basic idea as the livecd to have
> many PostgreSQL related software pre-installed and ready to run. I
> think it would be good to have more options for how PostgreSQL can be
> tried.

We like the idea too.  It would not only be useful for testing, but also for
training and tutorial demonstration
to be able to provide screenshots and presentations in people's native
elements.

Thanks,
Leo and Regina