[Fwd: Re: [ADMIN] PG Con]

From
ioguix
Date:

Re: [Fwd: Re: [ADMIN] PG Con]

From
"Michael Alan Brewer"
Date:
Last year, I stayed on campus (in an "apartment-style" room).  I
enjoyed the location and the campus staff was a pleasure to deal with;
 the only caveat I can recall was that you needed to bring your own
Ethernet cable, as only wired access was available.

Also, if you get the chance, try to take at least a day (either before
or after the convention) to do some sight-seeing;  the tour we took of
the government buildings was quite neat (and the art gallery is quite
amazing as well).

---Michael Brewer
mbrewer@gmail.com

Re: [Fwd: Re: [ADMIN] PG Con]

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:53:05AM -0400, Michael Alan Brewer wrote:
> the government buildings was quite neat (and the art gallery is quite
> amazing as well).

The gallery has at least one feature that every geek will appreciate: much
of the gallery space gets natural light.  There's a series of prisms and
mirrors that gets the light in from the outer glass shell, and pushes it
into the central bits where the walls would otherwise prevent natural light
penetrating.

Re: [Fwd: Re: [ADMIN] PG Con]

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:53:05AM -0400, Michael Alan Brewer wrote:
> > the government buildings was quite neat (and the art gallery is quite
> > amazing as well).
>
> The gallery has at least one feature that every geek will appreciate: much
> of the gallery space gets natural light.  There's a series of prisms and
> mirrors that gets the light in from the outer glass shell, and pushes it
> into the central bits where the walls would otherwise prevent natural light
> penetrating.

You should have added a SPOILER tag somewhere :-(

Re: [Fwd: Re: [ADMIN] PG Con]

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 11:39:32AM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> You should have added a SPOILER tag somewhere :-(

Oh, sorry.  I thought it was a reason to go -- seeing it work is the
incredible part, actually.  When you hear about it, it seems like a nifty
idea but a gimmick.  I keep trying to figure out how to implement it in my
house.

Re: [Fwd: Re: [ADMIN] PG Con]

From
"Michael Alan Brewer"
Date:
Another thing I enjoyed about that gallery was how close one could get
to some major works of art;  there's no glass or other barrier keeping
one from peering closely at the brushstrokes.  :)

---Michael Brewer
mbrewer@gmail.com

Re: [Fwd: Re: [ADMIN] PG Con]

From
ioguix
Date:

Re: [Fwd: Re: [ADMIN] PG Con]

From
ioguix
Date:

Re: [Fwd: Re: [ADMIN] PG Con]

From
ioguix
Date:

Re: [Fwd: Re: [ADMIN] PG Con]

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Michael Alan Brewer wrote:
> Last year, I stayed on campus (in an "apartment-style" room).  I
> enjoyed the location and the campus staff was a pleasure to deal with;
>  the only caveat I can recall was that you needed to bring your own
> Ethernet cable, as only wired access was available.
>
> Also, if you get the chance, try to take at least a day (either before
> or after the convention) to do some sight-seeing;  the tour we took of
> the government buildings was quite neat (and the art gallery is quite
> amazing as well).

I agree with these recommendations. However, it seems the rooms are very
popular in the day(s) after the conference - I tried to get two
extending two days past the end of the conference a couple of weeks
back, and they were filled up and couldn't get any. They could at that
time only get the dorm style rooms (shared bathrooms).

They did, however, say that there might be more rooms made available
closer to the conference, but could at that time make no guarantees.

//Magnus

Re: [Fwd: Re: [ADMIN] PG Con]

From
Dan Langille
Date:
On Apr 2, 2008, at 11:35 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Michael Alan Brewer wrote:
>> Last year, I stayed on campus (in an "apartment-style" room).  I
>> enjoyed the location and the campus staff was a pleasure to deal
>> with;
>>  the only caveat I can recall was that you needed to bring your own
>> Ethernet cable, as only wired access was available.
>>
>> Also, if you get the chance, try to take at least a day (either
>> before
>> or after the convention) to do some sight-seeing;  the tour we
>> took of
>> the government buildings was quite neat (and the art gallery is quite
>> amazing as well).
>
> I agree with these recommendations. However, it seems the rooms are
> very
> popular in the day(s) after the conference - I tried to get two
> extending two days past the end of the conference a couple of weeks
> back, and they were filled up and couldn't get any. They could at that
> time only get the dorm style rooms (shared bathrooms).
>
> They did, however, say that there might be more rooms made available
> closer to the conference, but could at that time make no guarantees.

The rooms are booked heavily AFTER PGCon because of a very
poplar marathon which occurs near the U of O.

--
Dan Langille -- http://www.langille.org/
dan@langille.org

Re: [Fwd: Re: [ADMIN] PG Con]