Case studies

From
"Elvis Henríquez"
Date:
Hello everybody.

Rather than asking for a technical detail or writing about a problem,
I'm asking for up-to-date case studies involving PostgreSQL.

The company where I'm actually working is migrating some apps; one
requires a Data Warehouse, and I'm proposing PostgreSQL, but they're
thinking of Oracle, as the system has one table (among others) with 20
fields and more then 19 millions of records, and this exists for 2
subcompanies, which are actually in different databases, but the
migration project implies joining the two subcompanies data.

This amount of data is the result of 8 years of usage, and the data
growing rate has increased in the last two years.

They asked me for case studies that shows this, so they can go ahead
with the migration to PostgreSQL.

The ones shown in "http://www.postgresql.org/about/casestudies/" are
out-dated and don't show amount of records or database/table size or
growth.

I hope you could help me with this.

Re: Case studies

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Monday 26 November 2007 22:34, Elvis Henríquez wrote:
> Hello everybody.
>
> Rather than asking for a technical detail or writing about a problem,
> I'm asking for up-to-date case studies involving PostgreSQL.
>
> The company where I'm actually working is migrating some apps; one
> requires a Data Warehouse, and I'm proposing PostgreSQL, but they're
> thinking of Oracle, as the system has one table (among others) with 20
> fields and more then 19 millions of records, and this exists for 2
> subcompanies, which are actually in different databases, but the
> migration project implies joining the two subcompanies data.
>
> This amount of data is the result of 8 years of usage, and the data
> growing rate has increased in the last two years.
>
> They asked me for case studies that shows this, so they can go ahead
> with the migration to PostgreSQL.
>
> The ones shown in "http://www.postgresql.org/about/casestudies/" are
> out-dated and don't show amount of records or database/table size or
> growth.
>
> I hope you could help me with this.

Sorry for this late reply, for some reason I thought I had replied to this
already. We (OmnitTI) did a case study with Sun a few months back about our
ODS system, which should have some good paralells with what your trying to
accomplish. The system was designed as a migration from Oracle to Postgres;
hopefully it will show the capabilities of the two systems are comprable. The
case study is available for download from
http://www.sun.com/third-party/srsc/resources/postgresql/postgre_success_dwp.pdf

As a side note, our most active table has 23 columns and 42+ million rows.  We
also have some tables (using partitioning) that have over a billion rows. To
get decent performance on these types of systems, you do need to purchase
good hardware, but it will cost far less than that of Oracle licensing.  HTH.

--
Robert Treat