Re: Case studies - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Case studies
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Monday 26 November 2007 22:34, Elvis Henríquez wrote:
> Hello everybody.
>
> Rather than asking for a technical detail or writing about a problem,
> I'm asking for up-to-date case studies involving PostgreSQL.
>
> The company where I'm actually working is migrating some apps; one
> requires a Data Warehouse, and I'm proposing PostgreSQL, but they're
> thinking of Oracle, as the system has one table (among others) with 20
> fields and more then 19 millions of records, and this exists for 2
> subcompanies, which are actually in different databases, but the
> migration project implies joining the two subcompanies data.
>
> This amount of data is the result of 8 years of usage, and the data
> growing rate has increased in the last two years.
>
> They asked me for case studies that shows this, so they can go ahead
> with the migration to PostgreSQL.
>
> The ones shown in "http://www.postgresql.org/about/casestudies/" are
> out-dated and don't show amount of records or database/table size or
> growth.
>
> I hope you could help me with this.

Sorry for this late reply, for some reason I thought I had replied to this
already. We (OmnitTI) did a case study with Sun a few months back about our
ODS system, which should have some good paralells with what your trying to
accomplish. The system was designed as a migration from Oracle to Postgres;
hopefully it will show the capabilities of the two systems are comprable. The
case study is available for download from
http://www.sun.com/third-party/srsc/resources/postgresql/postgre_success_dwp.pdf

As a side note, our most active table has 23 columns and 42+ million rows.  We
also have some tables (using partitioning) that have over a billion rows. To
get decent performance on these types of systems, you do need to purchase
good hardware, but it will cost far less than that of Oracle licensing.  HTH.

--
Robert Treat