high concurrent-user case studies?

From
Ned Lilly
Date:
All,

I've been through the case studies on the website, but haven't found quite what I'm looking for.  Is there anything I
canpoint to online that documents large numbers of concurrent users in a Postgres-powered application?

Thanks,
NL

Re: high concurrent-user case studies?

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 09:58:29AM -0500, Ned Lilly wrote:
> I've been through the case studies on the website, but haven't found quite
> what I'm looking for.  Is there anything I can point to online that
> documents large numbers of concurrent users in a Postgres-powered
> application?

Define both "high" and "Postgres-powered".  Afilias's registries have always
run Postgres, and we've had for some time now hundreds of registrars, each
of whom have at least 5 connections (== 5 login sessions) at a time.  So
those systems frequently have thousands of concurrent users in one sense.

The whois servers also are backed by PostgreSQL, but they're of course
all-read activity.  Nevertheless, they're wide open to the Internet, so we
have had very large numbers of simultaneous connections sometimes.

Supporting data is included in various bid materials that have been
submitted to ICANN for delegations of (among others) .org, .net, and .mobi.
Those materials are archived on the ICANN site, and therefore accessible by
anyone on the Internet.

Andrew Sullivan
Old sigs will return after re-constitution of blue smoke

Re: high concurrent-user case studies?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Ned,

I know myYearbook.com does something like 18,000 queries per second at peak
load times, which is for something like 12,000 users.   They're using
pgBouncer, of course ... beyond about 1000 connections you *must* use a
connection pool our you're dead.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun