Postgresql downloads

From
"Frederick Zarndt"

I'm doing research about Postgresql and would like to know how many times version 8.x has been downloaded from http://www.postgresql.org in the calendar year 2007 and separately how times it has been downloaded in the calendar year 2006. I want the same information for version 7.x. If someone has the same information from mirror sites that would be great! Thanks in advance.

Frederick

Re: Postgresql downloads

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 07:55:24AM -0800, Frederick Zarndt wrote:
> I'm doing research about Postgresql and would like to know how many
> times version 8.x has been downloaded from http://www.postgresql.org
> in the calendar year 2007 and separately how times it has been
> downloaded in the calendar year 2006.  I want the same information
> for version 7.x.

Here's a guide to our versioning system, as you seem to be under a
common misapprehension about it.

http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning

Also, why does counting downloads interest you?  I'm not being flip
here.  These two make a pretty good read on the subject.

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/database/soup/archives/the-count-of-downloadia-part-i-5621
http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/database/soup/archives/the-count-of-downloadia-part-ii-5814

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Postgresql downloads

From
Markus Schaber
Date:
Hi, Frederick,

"Frederick Zarndt" <fazarndt@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm doing research about Postgresql and would like to know how many times
> version 8.x has been downloaded from http://www.postgresql.org in the
> calendar year 2007 and separately how times it has been downloaded in the
> calendar year 2006. I want the same information for version 7.x. If someone
> has the same information from mirror sites that would be great! Thanks in
> advance.

The number of downloads will not give you any serious number.

Our company has dozens of PostgreSQL instances running, and none of
them was downloaded from postgresql.org, as we mostly use packages from
the linux distributions (mostly debian, but some Gentoo, LFS and
OpenSuSE), and for some very special use cases, direct checkouts from
the source repository version control system.

Regards,
Markus

www.nosoftwarepatents.org