First mention option for Postgres

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

I am sure we are all long bored with this thread (on both sides) so I
thought I would offer a compromise. When dealing with long documents it
is quite common to see something like this:

PostgreSQL hereafter referred to as Postgres

I propose that we could have the FAQ and the Docs do the same thing.
The very first mention in these documents will same something to the
effect of:

PostgreSQL hereafter referred to as Postgres, is the kick butt database
of the planet and the dolphin that can't swim doesn't even compare.

My proposal is not suggesting in *any* way that we change
the following:

The official project name, which is PostgreSQL
The domain name of the project, which is postgresql.org

Nor am I in anyway suggesting that we "promote" the name Postgres. We
should instead continue our focus on promoting our project which is
PostgreSQL and incorporates something much larger than just the
database which is nicknamed Postgres.

Bruce, would like this to happen for 8.3 Final. If he is willing to do
the work required for the change, I see it as a reasonable compromise
based on the various opinions of the community members.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

            UNIQUE NOT NULL

Re: First mention option for Postgres

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 01:25:09PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> PostgreSQL hereafter referred to as Postgres

> I propose that we could have the FAQ and the Docs do the same thing.
> The very first mention in these documents will same something to the

I think there's nothing wrong with doing it in the FAQ.  It's
consistent with what the FAQ already says, and in any case it's what
people have been doing informally for years.  As I've suggested
before (and as others have), I think doing it in formal documentation
and such like without a longer-term plan for communications is a bad
idea.  But I will cheerfully shut up about it no matter what is
decided, especially since I'm not doing any of the work.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The very definition of "news" is "something that hardly ever happens."
        --Bruce Schneier

Re: [DOCS] First mention option for Postgres

Date:
100% agree.

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> Hello,
>
> I am sure we are all long bored with this thread (on both sides) so I
> thought I would offer a compromise. When dealing with long documents it
> is quite common to see something like this:
>
> PostgreSQL hereafter referred to as Postgres
>
> I propose that we could have the FAQ and the Docs do the same thing.
> The very first mention in these documents will same something to the
> effect of:
>
> PostgreSQL hereafter referred to as Postgres, is the kick butt database
> of the planet and the dolphin that can't swim doesn't even compare.
>
> My proposal is not suggesting in *any* way that we change
> the following:
>
> The official project name, which is PostgreSQL
> The domain name of the project, which is postgresql.org
>
> Nor am I in anyway suggesting that we "promote" the name Postgres. We
> should instead continue our focus on promoting our project which is
> PostgreSQL and incorporates something much larger than just the
> database which is nicknamed Postgres.
>
> Bruce, would like this to happen for 8.3 Final. If he is willing to do
> the work required for the change, I see it as a reasonable compromise
> based on the various opinions of the community members.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

> --
>
>       === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
> Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564   24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
> PostgreSQL solutions since 1997  http://www.commandprompt.com/
>             UNIQUE NOT NULL
> Donate to the PostgreSQL Project: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate
> PostgreSQL Replication: http://www.commandprompt.com/products/

-- End of PGP section, PGP failed!

Re: First mention option for Postgres

From
Dave Page
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am sure we are all long bored with this thread (on both sides) so I
> thought I would offer a compromise. When dealing with long documents it
> is quite common to see something like this:
>
> PostgreSQL hereafter referred to as Postgres
>
> I propose that we could have the FAQ and the Docs do the same thing.
> The very first mention in these documents will same something to the
> effect of:
>
> PostgreSQL hereafter referred to as Postgres, is the kick butt database
> of the planet and the dolphin that can't swim doesn't even compare.
>
> My proposal is not suggesting in *any* way that we change
> the following:
>
> The official project name, which is PostgreSQL
> The domain name of the project, which is postgresql.org
>
> Nor am I in anyway suggesting that we "promote" the name Postgres. We
> should instead continue our focus on promoting our project which is
> PostgreSQL and incorporates something much larger than just the
> database which is nicknamed Postgres.
>
> Bruce, would like this to happen for 8.3 Final. If he is willing to do
> the work required for the change, I see it as a reasonable compromise
> based on the various opinions of the community members.

I'm happy with that.

/D

Re: First mention option for Postgres

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 17:46:31 -0300
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

> > We
> > should instead continue our focus on promoting our project which is
> > PostgreSQL
>
> If you are going to promote the name "PostgreSQL", then it should be
> used on *everything* official, not just as a leader into the
> documentation ...

I am Joshua D. Drake also known as jd@commandprompt.com and linuxpoet.

Guess which one gets the most hits on Google, is my Legal name?
Now guess which one is used the most in common conversation?

Joshua D. Drake

> - ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org) Email .
> scrappy@hub.org                              MSN . scrappy@hub.org
> Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

            UNIQUE NOT NULL

Re: First mention option for Postgres

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> is quite common to see something like this:
>
> PostgreSQL hereafter referred to as Postgres

This is usually because the first thing is very long and the second is
an obvious abbreviation.  But that does not apply in this case.

Changing all subsequent mentions to Postgres would effectively change
the visible project name to Postgres or at least give undue promotion
of Postgres over PostgreSQL, both of which was rejected, and while
keeping everything around it as PostgreSQL, thus creating even more
confusion.

Any sort of proposal that relies on all users of the affected document
to start by reading and fully grasping the very first sentence will not
work.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: First mention option for Postgres

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:

Date:

Date:

Re: First mention option for Postgres

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 23:47:57 +0200
Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > is quite common to see something like this:
> >
> > PostgreSQL hereafter referred to as Postgres
>
> This is usually because the first thing is very long and the second
> is an obvious abbreviation.  But that does not apply in this case.
>
> Changing all subsequent mentions to Postgres would effectively change
> the visible project name to Postgres or at least give undue promotion
> of Postgres over PostgreSQL, both of which was rejected, and while
> keeping everything around it as PostgreSQL, thus creating even more
> confusion.
>
> Any sort of proposal that relies on all users of the affected
> document to start by reading and fully grasping the very first
> sentence will not work.

Well as I said, it was a compromise. Everyone knows what my actual
opinion is. I guess we are back where we started.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

            UNIQUE NOT NULL

Re: First mention option for Postgres

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
On 10/26/07, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Well as I said, it was a compromise. Everyone knows what my actual
> opinion is. I guess we are back where we started.

Looks like it.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Sr. Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation                | fax: 732.331.1301