A renaming analogy

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
Hi,

In thinking about the renaming issue, I remembered a case that is a
good analogy with ours: FedEx.

The Company Formerly Known as Federal Express changed their name.  I
can still recall their old slogan: "Federal Express: When it
absolutely, positively has to be there overnight."  For reasons I
don't know (but could probably learn if I spent some time doing the
research), they concluded that they should re-brand as FedEx.  They
had something going for them in that new name: that's what everyone
"in the know" _already_ called them.

It was still a big change, because _other_ people who had been
exposed to "Federal Express" for a long time, but didn't use couriers
regularly, maybe didn't use that short form.

Perhaps we could study that case as a means to understand how such
changes ought to be undertaken.  It looks to me like they did a good
job.  Certainly my paper reports that they're doing reasonably well,
for a company so dependent on fuel prices for profit.

[Note that this is not a post on the topic of whether or when to
change names as such, so I have kept my promise not to post in that
thread any more. :) ]

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The whole tendency of modern prose is away from concreteness.
        --George Orwell

Re: A renaming analogy

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
On 9/2/07, Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca> wrote:
> In thinking about the renaming issue, I remembered a case that is a
> good analogy with ours: FedEx.

Good analogy.

http://www.vizual.com/resources/nl/Nov03/article1.asp

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation            | fax: 732.331.1301

Re: A renaming analogy

From
Jim Nasby
Date:
On Sep 2, 2007, at 7:23 PM, Jonah H. Harris wrote:
>> The Company Formerly Known as Federal Express changed their name.  I
>> can still recall their old slogan: "Federal Express: When it
>> absolutely, positively has to be there overnight."  For reasons I
>> don't know (but could probably learn if I spent some time doing the
>> research), they concluded that they should re-brand as FedEx.  They
>> had something going for them in that new name: that's what everyone
>> "in the know" _already_ called them.
>
> http://www.vizual.com/resources/nl/Nov03/article1.asp

Relevant quotes...

  Under a cloak of secrecy on June 22, 1994, a mysterious aircraft
landed on a darkened runway in Memphis and was swiftly guided into an
awaiting hangar. Only a handful of security guards standing watch
against intruders witnessed the late night operation, which took less
than 20 minutes to complete.

Two days later the whole world knew the secret. With news media,
public officials and 4,000 FedEx employees present ... the world's
largest overnight delivery carrier unveiled its new corporate
identity -- the culmination of two years of research and design and
weeks of clandestine implementation. Video relays around the globe
carried an event that usually doesn't get much play beyond a
company's in-house newsletter.

Research surveys also uncovered problems with the word federal. In
1973, the word had given the company immediate equity, an  official
alternative to the post office, but today it was more often
associated with being bureaucratic and slow. In Latin American
countries, it conjured images of the federales, and in some other
parts of the  world, people had trouble pronouncing Federal Express.

  With a June 24 deadline looming, the design  team worked 70-hour
weeks. The launch of the new FedEx  name was a closely guarded
secret, intended by management to catch the public -- and the
competition -- unaware. "We wanted to make an event, to create a
whole new identity as if it had happened overnight and get  as much
coverage as we could," says Christensen. Two days before the event, a
newly converted MD-11 was secretly flown from a paint hangar in
Mobile, Ala. and hidden behind the immense doors of FedEx Hangar Ten
in Memphis.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel@decibel.org

Re: A renaming analogy

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On Sunday 2 September 2007 20:23, Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> On 9/2/07, Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca> wrote:
> > In thinking about the renaming issue, I remembered a case that is a
> > good analogy with ours: FedEx.
>
> Good analogy.

other examples of change

BMO: Bank of Montreal
KFC: Kentucky Fired Chicken
TD: Toronto Dominion Bank

This shortening of company names has been going ever since the term "trans-global corporation" came into common
parlance.

Robert

Re: A renaming analogy

From