What's new in 8.3

From
Jim Nasby
Date:
This is the list I'm working off of for the "What's New in 8.3"
lightning talk at OSCon. I'm going to kind-of lump all the
performance stuff together (and most of that is going to get a very,
very quick overview), and blitz through the improved statistics stuff
in like 10 seconds... everything else I'm going to essentially go
through in the order shown here, and whatever I can fit in in the
time remaining is what makes it in. So, two questions...

1) Am I missing anything? (I'm not going to mention anything that
hasn't been committed unless it's *really* big; namely HOT and tsearch)
2) Any *serious* issues with the ordering?

Keep in mind that this is 100% targeted at *end users*, so these need
to be ranked on how much they'll affect them. There's tons of patches
that haven't even made this list not because they're not important,
but because they just won't have that big of a direct impact on end
users. Performance stuff sort of falls into this category... people
care a lot about how performance has improved, but far less about how
it was actually done (plus 5 minutes is nowhere near enough to do any
justice to most of the performance stuff).

* indicates feature isn't committed yet

Integrated tsearch2*
XML
UUID / ENUM
Sort order / NULLs first/last in indexes
UPDATE/DELETE WHERE CURRENT OF cursor_name
Arrays of compound types
Functional costing
Index advisor -- Does this actually do anything useful yet, or is it
just backend hooks?
pg_standby
improved regex support (regexp_matches, regexp_split_to_array,
regexp_split_to_table)
CREATE TABLE LIKE INCLUDING INDEXES
GSSAPI
Operator families
Make CLUSTER MVCC safe

Performance
HOT*
Autovac workers
plan cache
SyncScan
distributed checkpoint
cmin/cmax combination
varvarlena

Improved stats info
tuple stats in pg_stat_database
bgwriter
lock wait logging
pg_stat_all_tables.n_live_tuples, n_dead_tuples
log_temp_files

Re: What's new in 8.3

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Jim Nasby wrote:
> This is the list I'm working off of for the "What's New in 8.3"
> lightning talk at OSCon. I'm going to kind-of lump all the performance
> stuff together (and most of that is going to get a very, very quick
> overview), and blitz through the improved statistics stuff in like 10
> seconds... everything else I'm going to essentially go through in the
> order shown here, and whatever I can fit in in the time remaining is
> what makes it in. So, two questions...
>
> 1) Am I missing anything? (I'm not going to mention anything that hasn't
> been committed unless it's *really* big; namely HOT and tsearch)
> 2) Any *serious* issues with the ordering?
>
> Keep in mind that this is 100% targeted at *end users*, so these need to
> be ranked on how much they'll affect them. There's tons of patches that
> haven't even made this list not because they're not important, but
> because they just won't have that big of a direct impact on end users.
> Performance stuff sort of falls into this category... people care a lot
> about how performance has improved, but far less about how it was
> actually done (plus 5 minutes is nowhere near enough to do any justice
> to most of the performance stuff).
>
> * indicates feature isn't committed yet
>
> Integrated tsearch2*

this will be simply called text search or so once it got integrated ?

> XML
> UUID / ENUM

for UUID we also have contrib/uuid-ossp

> Sort order / NULLs first/last in indexes
> UPDATE/DELETE WHERE CURRENT OF cursor_name

aka updateable cursors (also in plpgsql)

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgadviser/

> pg_standby
> improved regex support (regexp_matches, regexp_split_to_array,
> regexp_split_to_table)
> CREATE TABLE LIKE INCLUDING INDEXES
> GSSAPI
> Operator families
> Make CLUSTER MVCC safe

full MSVC++ support (big one for some developers)
improved support for replication solutions (ie the session controlable
trigger firing stuff)
plan invalidation
index support for IS NULL
scrollable cursors in pl/pgsql
hashing support for NUMERIC
RESET SESSION/TEMP/PLANS

> Performance
> HOT*
> Autovac workers
> plan cache
> SyncScan
> distributed checkpoint
> cmin/cmax combination
> varvarlena

faster multibyte text matching
multiple temporary tablespaces

> Improved stats info
> tuple stats in pg_stat_database
> bgwriter
> lock wait logging
> pg_stat_all_tables.n_live_tuples, n_dead_tuples
> log_temp_files

contrib/pageinspect (probably out of scope for endusers)

Stefan

Re: What's new in 8.3

From
Dave Page
Jim Nasby wrote:
> Performance
> HOT*
> Autovac workers
> plan cache
> SyncScan
> distributed checkpoint
> cmin/cmax combination
> varvarlena
async commit*

/D

Re: What's new in 8.3

From
Jim Nasby
Date:
On Jul 20, 2007, at 2:08 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>> Integrated tsearch2*
>
> this will be simply called text search or so once it got integrated ?

Well, either way I'll be calling it full text search.

>> XML
>> UUID / ENUM
>
> for UUID we also have contrib/uuid-ossp

Too much detail...

>> Sort order / NULLs first/last in indexes
>> UPDATE/DELETE WHERE CURRENT OF cursor_name
>
> aka updateable cursors (also in plpgsql)

Yup.

>> Arrays of compound types
>> Functional costing
>> Index advisor -- Does this actually do anything useful yet, or is it
>> just backend hooks?
>
> http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgadviser/

Ahh, thanks.

> full MSVC++ support (big one for some developers)
> improved support for replication solutions (ie the session controlable
> trigger firing stuff)

Yeah, but that's not really user-visible.

> plan invalidation

Well, it's the plan cache that's important to folks...

> index support for IS NULL

Already got it.

> scrollable cursors in pl/pgsql
> hashing support for NUMERIC
> RESET SESSION/TEMP/PLANS
>

>> Performance
>> HOT*
>> Autovac workers
>> plan cache
>> SyncScan
>> distributed checkpoint
>> cmin/cmax combination
>> varvarlena
>
> faster multibyte text matching
> multiple temporary tablespaces
>

>> Improved stats info
>> tuple stats in pg_stat_database
>> bgwriter
>> lock wait logging
>> pg_stat_all_tables.n_live_tuples, n_dead_tuples
>> log_temp_files
>
> contrib/pageinspect (probably out of scope for endusers)

Yup. :)

Re: What's new in 8.3

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Am Freitag, 20. Juli 2007 07:22 schrieb Jim Nasby:
> UUID / ENUM

These are not related.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: What's new in 8.3

Date:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Jim Nasby wrote:
> > This is the list I'm working off of for the "What's New in 8.3"
> > lightning talk at OSCon. I'm going to kind-of lump all the performance
> > stuff together (and most of that is going to get a very, very quick
> > overview), and blitz through the improved statistics stuff in like 10
> > seconds... everything else I'm going to essentially go through in the
> > order shown here, and whatever I can fit in in the time remaining is
> > what makes it in. So, two questions...
> >
> > 1) Am I missing anything? (I'm not going to mention anything that hasn't
> > been committed unless it's *really* big; namely HOT and tsearch)
> > 2) Any *serious* issues with the ordering?
> >
> > Keep in mind that this is 100% targeted at *end users*, so these need to
> > be ranked on how much they'll affect them. There's tons of patches that
> > haven't even made this list not because they're not important, but
> > because they just won't have that big of a direct impact on end users.
> > Performance stuff sort of falls into this category... people care a lot
> > about how performance has improved, but far less about how it was
> > actually done (plus 5 minutes is nowhere near enough to do any justice
> > to most of the performance stuff).
> >
> > * indicates feature isn't committed yet
> >
> > Integrated tsearch2*
>
> this will be simply called text search or so once it got integrated ?

Correct.

Re: What's new in 8.3

From
Chris Browne
Date:
decibel@decibel.org (Jim Nasby) writes:
> This is the list I'm working off of for the "What's New in 8.3"
> lightning talk at OSCon.

Nicely timed; I was thinking it was about time to start working on
this list in preparation for various presentations in the fall.  (I'm
to present a talk with this title at the Ontario LinuxFest, and Robert
Treat is, I believe, planning to do the same at Ohio LinuxFest...)

I'll be tracking this; for the next little while it'll be living as a
text list...
--
output = reverse("moc.enworbbc" "@" "enworbbc")
http://linuxfinances.info/info/linuxxian.html

Re: What's new in 8.3

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
Chris Browne wrote:
> decibel@decibel.org (Jim Nasby) writes:
>> This is the list I'm working off of for the "What's New in 8.3"
>> lightning talk at OSCon.
>
> Nicely timed; I was thinking it was about time to start working on
> this list in preparation for various presentations in the fall.  (I'm
> to present a talk with this title at the Ontario LinuxFest, and Robert
> Treat is, I believe, planning to do the same at Ohio LinuxFest...)
>
> I'll be tracking this; for the next little while it'll be living as a
> text list...

while there is no full list there are at least:

http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Todo:WishlistFor83
and
http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Feature_Matrix

Stefan

Re: What's new in 8.3

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Am Freitag, 20. Juli 2007 16:42 schrieb Bruce Momjian:
> > this will be simply called text search or so once it got integrated ?
>
> Correct.

"text search" or "full-text search"?

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: What's new in 8.3

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

> Nicely timed; I was thinking it was about time to start working on
> this list in preparation for various presentations in the fall.  (I'm
> to present a talk with this title at the Ontario LinuxFest, and Robert
> Treat is, I believe, planning to do the same at Ohio LinuxFest...)
>
> I'll be tracking this; for the next little while it'll be living as a
> text list...

You can also check my various "PostgreSQL Today & Tommorrow"
presentations at www.powerpostgresql.com/Docs -- use the latest
(Italian) one.  There's one error in the Italian one which Dave & Magnus
pointed out to me, we're not actually doing no-logging tables, that's a
GUC instead.

--Josh

Re: What's new in 8.3

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Freitag, 20. Juli 2007 16:42 schrieb Bruce Momjian:
> > > this will be simply called text search or so once it got integrated ?
> >
> > Correct.
>
> "text search" or "full-text search"?

Syntax is CREATE TEXT SEARCH, but documentation mentions it as full text
search too.

Re: What's new in 8.3

From
Jim Nasby
Date:
On Jul 20, 2007, at 10:31 AM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Freitag, 20. Juli 2007 07:22 schrieb Jim Nasby:
>> UUID / ENUM
>
> These are not related.

Yeah, but they're both new datatypes.

Re: What's new in 8.3

From
Jim Nasby
Date:
On Jul 20, 2007, at 11:00 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Chris Browne wrote:
>> decibel@decibel.org (Jim Nasby) writes:
>>> This is the list I'm working off of for the "What's New in 8.3"
>>> lightning talk at OSCon.
>>
>> Nicely timed; I was thinking it was about time to start working on
>> this list in preparation for various presentations in the fall.  (I'm
>> to present a talk with this title at the Ontario LinuxFest, and
>> Robert
>> Treat is, I believe, planning to do the same at Ohio LinuxFest...)
>>
>> I'll be tracking this; for the next little while it'll be living as a
>> text list...
>
> while there is no full list there are at least:
>
> http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Todo:WishlistFor83
> and
> http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Feature_Matrix

Reading through this years weekly updates is also enlightening.

BTW, I've completely dropped some stuff off my list since I've only
got 5 minutes. There's some stuff that you might want to add for an
hour-long talk.

Re: What's new in 8.3

From
Jim Nasby
Date:
On Jul 20, 2007, at 1:10 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> You can also check my various "PostgreSQL Today & Tommorrow"
> presentations at www.powerpostgresql.com/Docs -- use the latest
> (Italian) one.  There's one error in the Italian one which Dave &
> Magnus pointed out to me, we're not actually doing no-logging
> tables, that's a GUC instead.

I only see ones for Tokyo and Brazil...

Re: What's new in 8.3

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Jim Nasby wrote:
> On Jul 20, 2007, at 1:10 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> You can also check my various "PostgreSQL Today & Tommorrow"
>> presentations at www.powerpostgresql.com/Docs -- use the latest
>> (Italian) one.  There's one error in the Italian one which Dave &
>> Magnus pointed out to me, we're not actually doing no-logging tables,
>> that's a GUC instead.
>
> I only see ones for Tokyo and Brazil...

odd I can see those just fine:

 PGDAY.it Talks

PostgreSQL Ieri & Domani - English - Italian

Five Steps to PostgreSQL Performance, FISL8 (PDF) (ODF)

Stefan

Re: What's new in 8.3

From
Chris Browne
Date:
stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc (Stefan Kaltenbrunner) writes:
> Chris Browne wrote:
>> decibel@decibel.org (Jim Nasby) writes:
>>> This is the list I'm working off of for the "What's New in 8.3"
>>> lightning talk at OSCon.
>>
>> Nicely timed; I was thinking it was about time to start working on
>> this list in preparation for various presentations in the fall.  (I'm
>> to present a talk with this title at the Ontario LinuxFest, and Robert
>> Treat is, I believe, planning to do the same at Ohio LinuxFest...)
>>
>> I'll be tracking this; for the next little while it'll be living as a
>> text list...
>
> while there is no full list there are at least:
>
> http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Todo:WishlistFor83
> and
> http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Feature_Matrix

The "Feature Matrix" is a very interesting view on things, going back
as far as 7.4; the wish list looks like a good source for "What's
New?" material.
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'linuxdatabases.info';
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/multiplexor.html

Re: What's new in 8.3

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
> Chris Browne wrote:
> > decibel@decibel.org (Jim Nasby) writes:
> >> This is the list I'm working off of for the "What's New in 8.3"
> >> lightning talk at OSCon.
> >
> > Nicely timed; I was thinking it was about time to start working on
> > this list in preparation for various presentations in the fall.  (I'm
> > to present a talk with this title at the Ontario LinuxFest, and Robert
> > Treat is, I believe, planning to do the same at Ohio LinuxFest...)
> >
> > I'll be tracking this; for the next little while it'll be living as a
> > text list...
>
> while there is no full list there are at least:
>
> http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Todo:WishlistFor83

Does anybody know how I correct/add missing ones?

It seems it lacks "JIS 2004 support".
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

> and
> http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Feature_Matrix
>

> Stefan

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: What's new in 8.3

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
>> Chris Browne wrote:
>>> Nicely timed; I was thinking it was about time to start working on
>>> this list in preparation for various presentations in the fall.  (I'm
>>> to present a talk with this title at the Ontario LinuxFest, and Robert
>>> Treat is, I believe, planning to do the same at Ohio LinuxFest...)
>>>
>>> I'll be tracking this; for the next little while it'll be living as a
>>> text list...
>> while there is no full list there are at least:
>>
>> http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Todo:WishlistFor83
>
> Does anybody know how I correct/add missing ones?

register for an account and ask Neil Conway or Greg Sabino Mullane for
the required permissions

> It seems it lacks "JIS 2004 support".

should be fixed now

Stefan