What's new in 8.3 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jim Nasby
Subject What's new in 8.3
Date
Re: What's new in 8.3  (Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org>)
Re: What's new in 8.3  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-advocacy
This is the list I'm working off of for the "What's New in 8.3"
lightning talk at OSCon. I'm going to kind-of lump all the
performance stuff together (and most of that is going to get a very,
very quick overview), and blitz through the improved statistics stuff
in like 10 seconds... everything else I'm going to essentially go
through in the order shown here, and whatever I can fit in in the
time remaining is what makes it in. So, two questions...

1) Am I missing anything? (I'm not going to mention anything that
hasn't been committed unless it's *really* big; namely HOT and tsearch)
2) Any *serious* issues with the ordering?

Keep in mind that this is 100% targeted at *end users*, so these need
to be ranked on how much they'll affect them. There's tons of patches
that haven't even made this list not because they're not important,
but because they just won't have that big of a direct impact on end
users. Performance stuff sort of falls into this category... people
care a lot about how performance has improved, but far less about how
it was actually done (plus 5 minutes is nowhere near enough to do any
justice to most of the performance stuff).

* indicates feature isn't committed yet

Integrated tsearch2*
XML
UUID / ENUM
Sort order / NULLs first/last in indexes
UPDATE/DELETE WHERE CURRENT OF cursor_name
Arrays of compound types
Functional costing
Index advisor -- Does this actually do anything useful yet, or is it
just backend hooks?
pg_standby
improved regex support (regexp_matches, regexp_split_to_array,
regexp_split_to_table)
CREATE TABLE LIKE INCLUDING INDEXES
GSSAPI
Operator families
Make CLUSTER MVCC safe

Performance
HOT*
Autovac workers
plan cache
SyncScan
distributed checkpoint
cmin/cmax combination
varvarlena

Improved stats info
tuple stats in pg_stat_database
bgwriter
lock wait logging
pg_stat_all_tables.n_live_tuples, n_dead_tuples
log_temp_files