Google Releases Improved MySQL Code

From
Ned Lilly
Date:
Saw this article and wondered if there had been any similar PR around
the Skype tools for PostgreSQL.  That's *at least* as impressive and
interesting a story...

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199201237

Re: Google Releases Improved MySQL Code

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 08:19:08AM -0400, Ned Lilly wrote:
> Saw this article and wondered if there had been any similar PR around
> the Skype tools for PostgreSQL.  That's *at least* as impressive and
> interesting a story...
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199201237

Everything that has Google mentioned is obviously worthy of a lot of
articles ;-)
It is interesting to see that it's only for MySQL 4...

//Magnus

Re: Google Releases Improved MySQL Code

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 08:19:08AM -0400, Ned Lilly wrote:
> > Saw this article and wondered if there had been any similar PR around
> > the Skype tools for PostgreSQL.  That's *at least* as impressive and
> > interesting a story...
> >
> > http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199201237
>
> Everything that has Google mentioned is obviously worthy of a lot of
> articles ;-)

It is true that we could make better PR use of some things that happen
in our land though ...

Re: Google Releases Improved MySQL Code

From
Tino Wildenhain
Date:
Magnus Hagander schrieb:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 08:19:08AM -0400, Ned Lilly wrote:
>> Saw this article and wondered if there had been any similar PR around
>> the Skype tools for PostgreSQL.  That's *at least* as impressive and
>> interesting a story...
>>
>> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199201237
>
> Everything that has Google mentioned is obviously worthy of a lot of
> articles ;-)
> It is interesting to see that it's only for MySQL 4...

And nobody knows (I suspect even google doesnt) why they really need
that SQL like layer on top of the bsddb-storage ;-)

Regards
Tino

Re: Google Releases Improved MySQL Code

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> Magnus Hagander schrieb:
>> On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 08:19:08AM -0400, Ned Lilly wrote:
>>> Saw this article and wondered if there had been any similar PR
>>> around the Skype tools for PostgreSQL.  That's *at least* as
>>> impressive and interesting a story...
>>>
>>> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199201237
>>>

>> Everything that has Google mentioned is obviously worthy of a lot of
>> articles ;-)
>> It is interesting to see that it's only for MySQL 4...
>
> And nobody knows (I suspect even google doesnt) why they really need
> that SQL like layer on top of the bsddb-storage ;-)
Because it's convenient and gives you the good feeling of being standard
compliant :o)

Regards,
Andreas

Date:
On 4/25/2007 9:22 AM Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 08:19:08AM -0400, Ned Lilly wrote:
>> Saw this article and wondered if there had been any similar PR around
>> the Skype tools for PostgreSQL.  That's *at least* as impressive and
>> interesting a story...
>>
>> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199201237
>
> Everything that has Google mentioned is obviously worthy of a lot of
> articles ;-)
> It is interesting to see that it's only for MySQL 4...

That *is* interesting... and maybe the hook for talking about the Skype code.  Developing for the leading edge release
intight coordination with the hacker community, instead of (my words here, just a guess) beating old MySQL code into
shapethen trying to persuade the MySQL guys to take your patches.

Is Marko or anyone else from Skype on this list?

Re: Google Releases Improved MySQL Code

From
nhrcommu@rochester.rr.com
Date:
I am likely reading much more than exists, but:
1st GMail
2nd Google docs
3rd Google Spreadsheets
4th Google Presentation Manager (Powerpoint)
5th ?? Google Database ?? (Access)--- which will also include a way to
manage all of the above.

Both web & local.  With sharing twixt and between. Free if ads-based.
Purchaseable, if not. Oh boy ... local ads.

Thanks,
Mike Ellsworth

"Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't following me."
Woody Allen

Re: Google Releases Improved MySQL Code

From
Lukas Kahwe Smith
Ned Lilly wrote:
> Saw this article and wondered if there had been any similar PR around
> the Skype tools for PostgreSQL.  That's *at least* as impressive and
> interesting a story...

Well there is a significant difference here. Unless Google also hands
the copyright to MySQL AB, there is no chance that the change will make
it into the standard distribution. I will try to get confirmation on the
question this today.

regards,
Lukas

Date:
Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> Ned Lilly wrote:
>> Saw this article and wondered if there had been any similar PR around
>> the Skype tools for PostgreSQL.  That's *at least* as impressive and
>> interesting a story...
>
> Well there is a significant difference here. Unless Google also hands
> the copyright to MySQL AB, there is no chance that the change will make
> it into the standard distribution. I will try to get confirmation on the
> question this today.

I talked to Mark from Google here at MySQL UC and he told me that Google
has no issues giving MySQL the right to commercial proprietary licensing
the code. However of course Google's lawyers need to review the MySQL
CLA before these changes can make their way into the MySQL standard
distribution. Of course MySQL AB also has final say on if they actually
want to integrate the code or not.

regards,
Lukas

Date:
On 4/25/2007 4:46 PM Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
>> Ned Lilly wrote:
>>> Saw this article and wondered if there had been any similar PR around
>>> the Skype tools for PostgreSQL.  That's *at least* as impressive and
>>> interesting a story...
>>
>> Well there is a significant difference here. Unless Google also hands
>> the copyright to MySQL AB, there is no chance that the change will
>> make it into the standard distribution. I will try to get confirmation
>> on the question this today.
>
> I talked to Mark from Google here at MySQL UC and he told me that Google
> has no issues giving MySQL the right to commercial proprietary licensing
> the code. However of course Google's lawyers need to review the MySQL
> CLA before these changes can make their way into the MySQL standard
> distribution. Of course MySQL AB also has final say on if they actually
> want to integrate the code or not.

Yes, and historically, that hasn't been MySQL AB's strong suit.  Maybe that's changing, though.

Ned Lilly wrote:
> On 4/25/2007 4:46 PM Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:

>> I talked to Mark from Google here at MySQL UC and he told me that
>> Google has no issues giving MySQL the right to commercial proprietary
>> licensing the code. However of course Google's lawyers need to review
>> the MySQL CLA before these changes can make their way into the MySQL
>> standard distribution. Of course MySQL AB also has final say on if
>> they actually want to integrate the code or not.
>
> Yes, and historically, that hasn't been MySQL AB's strong suit.  Maybe
> that's changing, though.

It has ..because in the past there wasnt even a clear procedure for code
contributions. Now they have a procedure in place (CLA etc.). Will be
interesting how it plays out. While I was talking to Mark, Jay Pipes
came to the discussion by coincidence and he at least expressed that
MySQL AB is interested in this contributions (albeit he is not someone
that can do technical decisions).

regards,
Lukas