cost per transaction

From
Federico
Date:
Hi, all
I'm writing the slides for the road2pgday and I'm wondering if there's
some test about the cost per transaction that have PostgreSQL on OLTP.

If there're please give me the urls where i can find it so I'll
include into my presentations :)

Best Regards

--
Federico Campoli

PGDay 2007 Committee :: http://www.pgday.it
Scopri il piu' avanzato database Libero

Re: cost per transaction

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
On 4/20/07, Federico <rotellaro@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm writing the slides for the road2pgday and I'm wondering if there's
> some test about the cost per transaction that have PostgreSQL on OLTP.

AFAIK, there aren't any audited public benchmarks for PostgreSQL.  So,
you're not going to find a TPC-C or TPC-E for PostgreSQL yet.  There
may have been one of the SPEC benchmarks that used PostgreSQL, but
that wouldn't have been direct OLTP.

Being free, PostgreSQL's cost-per-transaction would be fairly low.
Basically, if you purchase maintenance, support, installation, or
tuning services from a PostgreSQL support organization or consultant,
then you're cost/transaction is really based on that fee and the
number of your applications transactions run over the lifetime of the
support contract.

Unlike other database vendors, there's no cost/transaction for free PostgreSQL.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation            | fax: 732.331.1301

Re: cost per transaction

From
Chris Browne
Date:
jonah.harris@gmail.com ("Jonah H. Harris") writes:

> On 4/20/07, Federico <rotellaro@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm writing the slides for the road2pgday and I'm wondering if there's
>> some test about the cost per transaction that have PostgreSQL on OLTP.
>
> AFAIK, there aren't any audited public benchmarks for PostgreSQL.  So,
> you're not going to find a TPC-C or TPC-E for PostgreSQL yet.  There
> may have been one of the SPEC benchmarks that used PostgreSQL, but
> that wouldn't have been direct OLTP.
>
> Being free, PostgreSQL's cost-per-transaction would be fairly low.
> Basically, if you purchase maintenance, support, installation, or
> tuning services from a PostgreSQL support organization or consultant,
> then you're cost/transaction is really based on that fee and the
> number of your applications transactions run over the lifetime of the
> support contract.
>
> Unlike other database vendors, there's no cost/transaction for free PostgreSQL.

The last time I looked at TP$ benchmarks, they counted the cost of
both software and hardware when accounting for costs.

The fact that PostgreSQL may have no licensing fees might imply that
the *software* cost per transaction is $0.  But the hardware still has
some cost, so you will have to count that...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "ofni.sesabatadxunil" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/finances.html

Re: cost per transaction

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
On 4/20/07, Chris Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> wrote:
> The last time I looked at TP$ benchmarks, they counted the cost of
> both software and hardware when accounting for costs.

Yes, you are correct.

> The fact that PostgreSQL may have no licensing fees might imply that
> the *software* cost per transaction is $0.  But the hardware still has
> some cost, so you will have to count that...

Yes, I forgot to mention the hardware cost as well.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation            | fax: 732.331.1301
33 Wood Ave S, 3rd Floor            | jharris@enterprisedb.com
Iselin, New Jersey 08830            | http://www.enterprisedb.com/

Re: cost per transaction

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Federico,

> AFAIK, there aren't any audited public benchmarks for PostgreSQL.  So,
> you're not going to find a TPC-C or TPC-E for PostgreSQL yet.  There
> may have been one of the SPEC benchmarks that used PostgreSQL, but
> that wouldn't have been direct OLTP.

We will have an OLTP benchmark available before PGDay.it.

--Josh

Re: cost per transaction

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
On 4/23/07, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> We will have an OLTP benchmark available before PGDay.it.

Cool, which one will you be publishing?

--

Date:
On 4/24/07, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Federico,
>
> > AFAIK, there aren't any audited public benchmarks for PostgreSQL.  So,
> > you're not going to find a TPC-C or TPC-E for PostgreSQL yet.  There
> > may have been one of the SPEC benchmarks that used PostgreSQL, but
> > that wouldn't have been direct OLTP.
>
> We will have an OLTP benchmark available before PGDay.it.

That's fantastic :)

Any hope to have 8.3 (or 9 !?!?!) available before pgday.it too?

:P

Regards