CyberSquatter

From
Stéphane Schildknecht
Date:
Hi all,

There is in France a society, with no link to PostgreSQL that uses the
domain names postgresql.fr and postgres.fr. I think they registered
these domain names a few years ago, certainly before the french
association was registered. I'm not sure they did before Jean-Paul
Argudo registered PostgreSQLFr.org.

Is there a legal way to take back these domain names.

Stéphane SCHILDKNECHT
Président de PostgreSQLFr
http://www.PostgreSQLFr.org

Re: CyberSquatter

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 03:20:16PM +0100, Stéphane Schildknecht wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There is in France a society, with no link to PostgreSQL that uses the
> domain names postgresql.fr and postgres.fr. I think they registered
> these domain names a few years ago, certainly before the french
> association was registered. I'm not sure they did before Jean-Paul
> Argudo registered PostgreSQLFr.org.
>
> Is there a legal way to take back these domain names.

My guess is that it depends on how the rules are set up for the .fr top
level domain. There should be documents available at whomever the
authority for that TLD is, I think.

//Magnus

Re: CyberSquatter

From
Shane Ambler
Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 03:20:16PM +0100, Stéphane Schildknecht wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> There is in France a society, with no link to PostgreSQL that uses the
>> domain names postgresql.fr and postgres.fr. I think they registered
>> these domain names a few years ago, certainly before the french
>> association was registered. I'm not sure they did before Jean-Paul
>> Argudo registered PostgreSQLFr.org.
>>
>> Is there a legal way to take back these domain names.
>
> My guess is that it depends on how the rules are set up for the .fr top
> level domain. There should be documents available at whomever the
> authority for that TLD is, I think.

Yes, for the most part it is just first come first served and there is
nothing you can do except offer to buy it from them.

Some countries however may have restrictions. eg with .com.au until
recently you needed to have a registered business/company name that
matched the domain you were registering.

<Disclaimer>
I am not a legal expert - just throwing some ideas around
</Disclaimer>

Unless they are using the domains for some sort of extortion to get
money from us, or they are using the domain to misrepresent PostgreSQL
then you probably don't have much to work with from a legal standpoint.
If they were misrepresenting PostgreSQL then you may only be able to get
them to cease and remove defamatory material not necessarily get them to
give up the domain.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL@Sheeky.Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz

Re: CyberSquatter

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Stephane,

> There is in France a society, with no link to PostgreSQL that uses the
> domain names postgresql.fr and postgres.fr. I think they registered
> these domain names a few years ago, certainly before the french
> association was registered. I'm not sure they did before Jean-Paul
> Argudo registered PostgreSQLFr.org.
>
> Is there a legal way to take back these domain names.

I do not believe that we ever had those domain names.  I believe they have
always belonged to the current news gateway operator, Open-Source.fr.

It has not been the practice of the PostgreSQL project to assert trademark
against domain holders.  It is dubious at this point whether we *could* do
so, as the defendant would be able to point to numerous domains which the
PGDG does not control.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: CyberSquatter

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Stephane,

Oh, also has anyone in PostgreSQL France contacted Cit@delle to see if they
would be willing to donate or sell the domain?  They seem to be friendly to
open source.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: CyberSquatter

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Josh Berkus a écrit :
> Stephane,
>
> Oh, also has anyone in PostgreSQL France contacted Cit@delle to see if they
> would be willing to donate or sell the domain?  They seem to be friendly to
> open source.

Stéphane sent them a mail today. We are waiting for an answer :)

Regards.

--
Guillaume.
<!-- http://abs.traduc.org/