Re: CyberSquatter - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Shane Ambler
Subject Re: CyberSquatter
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 03:20:16PM +0100, Stéphane Schildknecht wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> There is in France a society, with no link to PostgreSQL that uses the
>> domain names postgresql.fr and postgres.fr. I think they registered
>> these domain names a few years ago, certainly before the french
>> association was registered. I'm not sure they did before Jean-Paul
>> Argudo registered PostgreSQLFr.org.
>>
>> Is there a legal way to take back these domain names.
>
> My guess is that it depends on how the rules are set up for the .fr top
> level domain. There should be documents available at whomever the
> authority for that TLD is, I think.

Yes, for the most part it is just first come first served and there is
nothing you can do except offer to buy it from them.

Some countries however may have restrictions. eg with .com.au until
recently you needed to have a registered business/company name that
matched the domain you were registering.

<Disclaimer>
I am not a legal expert - just throwing some ideas around
</Disclaimer>

Unless they are using the domains for some sort of extortion to get
money from us, or they are using the domain to misrepresent PostgreSQL
then you probably don't have much to work with from a legal standpoint.
If they were misrepresenting PostgreSQL then you may only be able to get
them to cease and remove defamatory material not necessarily get them to
give up the domain.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL@Sheeky.Biz