Successful booth at Chemnitz (Germany)

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
Hello all,

This weekend we had a postgresql booth in Chemnitz at the Linuxday
(http://chemnitzer.linux-tage.de/2007/info/) and it was very
successfull. Like last weekend at FOSDEM the busy day was saturday.
Sunday is a bit calmer also because the weather is better than
yesterday.

We had a lot of visitors (from companies and private visitors) and many
good questions. In contrast to Brussels every third question was about
the difference to Mysql, after this, the difference to Oracle. Other
topics are replication (master/master, master/slave), having PG running
on Windows, what new features the next version will bring and many
questions for documents about optimization and parameter tuning. The
German Usergroup will create some flyers for the most asked topics,
maybe we can create them together and just translate them for all
countries.

But beside this questions many visitors told us that they are already
using PostgreSQL and that they are happy using it.

A word about the merchandising: we only had white shirts, but was asked
some more times about the black ones and the shirts with the big
elephant on it. And of course, the 5 blue plush elephants we had are
gone after a very short time.

Some pictures can be found here:

http://ads.wars-nicht.de/blog/archives/124-Pictures-from-Linuxdays-in-Chemnitz.html

Kind regards

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
 (Ferenc Mantfeld)

Re: Successful booth at Chemnitz (Germany)

From
Susanne Ebrecht
Date:
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> We had a lot of visitors (from companies and private visitors) and many
> good questions. In contrast to Brussels every third question was about
> the difference to Mysql, after this, the difference to Oracle. Other

uiii, difference to oracle is interresting. That shows,  that  oracle
user are interrested in postgresql.
> topics are replication (master/master, master/slave), having PG running
> on Windows, what new features the next version will bring and many
> questions for documents about optimization and parameter tuning. The
> German Usergroup will create some flyers for the most asked topics,
> maybe we can create them together and just translate them for all
> countries.

That is normal. No questions to gis, gist, partitioning and such a
stuff? I'll hope you have shown my article about optimization :)
> But beside this questions many visitors told us that they are already
> using PostgreSQL and that they are happy using it.

That is great.
> A word about the merchandising: we only had white shirts, but was asked
> some more times about the black ones and the shirts with the big
> elephant on it. And of course, the 5 blue plush elephants we had are
> gone after a very short time.

Before the next booth, we can try to get new black shirts. Maybe in
english not in german. Of course I still have the design on my computer.
The white T-Shirts with the big elephant are very expansive. That's why
we made own T-Shirts last year. The black once sold out very early.

regards

Susanne

Re: Successful booth at Chemnitz (Germany)

From
Andreas Kretschmer
Date:
Susanne Ebrecht <miracee@miracee.de> schrieb:

> Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> >We had a lot of visitors (from companies and private visitors) and many
> >good questions. In contrast to Brussels every third question was about
> >the difference to Mysql, after this, the difference to Oracle. Other
> >
> uiii, difference to oracle is interresting. That shows,  that  oracle  user
> are interrested in postgresql.

I can confirm this, some people talks about migration from O?? to PG,
with success ;-)
For instance, a person from the german foreign office: he reported us,
that his office is using PG on _all_ foreign departments. Perhaps, we
have a new story for http://www.postgresql.org/about/casestudies/ ;-)
(I hope he get the license to report us official...)

> >topics are replication (master/master, master/slave), having PG running
> >on Windows, what new features the next version will bring and many
> >questions for documents about optimization and parameter tuning. The
> >German Usergroup will create some flyers for the most asked topics,
> >maybe we can create them together and just translate them for all
> >countries.
> >
> That is normal. No questions to gis, gist, partitioning and such a stuff?

Yes, there are also some questions about partitioning and so on.
Many, many questions about replication...

> I'll hope you have shown my article about optimization :)

Hehe, yes: performance tuning was a big thema, but not a real problem:
nobody was disappointed about performance, only questions about proper
configuration. Not a realy problem, but i think, this point we should
more describe. (GUC-variables for instance)

(Someone ask me, if it is possible to create a trigger that fires only
on changes on a desired column. He had an application with many updates,
but only 5% change this column and because all updates fires the trigger
he has some performance trouble). My answer was: use an own function for
this case of updates instead a trigger.)

> >But beside this questions many visitors told us that they are already
> >using PostgreSQL and that they are happy using it.
> >
> That is great.

Yes!

> >A word about the merchandising: we only had white shirts, but was asked
> >some more times about the black ones and the shirts with the big
> >elephant on it. And of course, the 5 blue plush elephants we had are
> >gone after a very short time.

... and some people was disappointed later =:-(

So, enough for today. I hope, you can understand my poor english...
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly."    (unknow)

Re: Successful booth at Chemnitz (Germany)

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 20:02:16 +0100
Susanne Ebrecht <miracee@miracee.de> wrote:

> That is normal. No questions to gis, gist, partitioning and such a
> stuff? I'll hope you have shown my article about optimization :)

One visitor asked about this, but he was more interested in getting
free available geodata instead of PostgreSQL features for using this
data.  If your article appears in pg_docbot for the keyword
'performance', then is the answer: yes.

We had lots of questions, but the 3 or 4 i named earlier was the most
common questions.

> > A word about the merchandising: we only had white shirts, but was asked
> > some more times about the black ones and the shirts with the big
> > elephant on it. And of course, the 5 blue plush elephants we had are
> > gone after a very short time.
> >
> Before the next booth, we can try to get new black shirts. Maybe in
> english not in german. Of course I still have the design on my computer.

Please send the design files or more better: check it in into our svn.

We should ask the Italian group, if and how much merchandising stuff
they need for the pgday.

Kind regards

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
 (Ferenc Mantfeld)

Re: Successful booth at Chemnitz (Germany)

From
Tomka Gergely
Date:
On Sun, 4 Mar 2007, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:

> the difference to Mysql, after this, the difference to Oracle. Other
> topics are replication (master/master, master/slave), having PG running

What is the "official" answer to these questions?

--
Tomka Gergely, gergely@tomka.hu

Re: Successful booth at Chemnitz (Germany)

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Am Montag, 5. März 2007 11:27 schrieb Tomka Gergely:
> On Sun, 4 Mar 2007, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> > the difference to Mysql, after this, the difference to Oracle. Other
> > topics are replication (master/master, master/slave), having PG running
>
> What is the "official" answer to these questions?

The official answer is that there is no officiality.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Successful booth at Chemnitz (Germany)

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 11:27:10 +0100 (CET)
Tomka Gergely <gergely@tomka.hu> wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Mar 2007, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
>
> > the difference to Mysql, after this, the difference to Oracle. Other
> > topics are replication (master/master, master/slave), having PG running
>
> What is the "official" answer to these questions?

For Oracle: sure it is a competitor and has features we want to have.
In contrast you don't need a treasure chest and some people told us
that they are using PG a) for developing, cause you don't have to pay
license fees for every development system or b) they moved from Oracle
to PG and are happy now.

For Mysql: it's not a competitor, it's an open source software. Sure it
has disadvantages, but no software is perfect.

Kind regards

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
 (Ferenc Mantfeld)

Re: Successful booth at Chemnitz (Germany)

From
Lukas Kahwe Smith
Date:
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:

> that they are using PG a) for developing, cause you don't have to pay
> license fees for every development system or b) they moved from Oracle
> to PG and are happy now.

Hmm, I wasnt aware that Oracle charges for development systems. Afaik
they only charge for all things production (including standy by systems).

regards,
Lukas

Re: Successful booth at Chemnitz (Germany)

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 07:00:57 +0100
Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith@pooteeweet.org> wrote:

> Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
>
> > that they are using PG a) for developing, cause you don't have to pay
> > license fees for every development system or b) they moved from Oracle
> > to PG and are happy now.
>
> Hmm, I wasnt aware that Oracle charges for development systems. Afaik
> they only charge for all things production (including standy by systems).

No, but some people told us, their companies decide to buy rather
more licenses in case they need some instead of getting in trouble, if
a server/workstation does not have a valid license. This makes things a
bit expensive.

Kind regards

P.S.: I'm on the list, you don't need to reply by mail and list.

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL Usergroup