Importand points about PostgreSQL

From
Markus Schaber
Date:
Hi,

In two weeks, I'll hold a talk on PostgreSQL in the south German
"Chaos-Seminar"[1] series organized by the local Chaos Computer Club
division in a room of the Ulm University.

Those talks usually are rather informal, no entrance fee, most of the
listeners are students, I've about 90-100 minutes to fill. I plan give
some broad view about the history, community and features in the first
half, and to pack some technical details like MVCC in the second part of
the talk. The slides will be put online, and it is very probable that
there will be a public video of the session, too.

As I'm biased from a pure technical view, I ask you here about topics
you regard as being worth of mentioning in my talk. I'll consider all
you mail me personally or over the list, but I don't promise to actually
include everything. Just think of this thread as some kind of brainstorming.

Thanks,
Markus

[1] http://ulm.ccc.de/ChaosSeminar/

Re: Importand points about PostgreSQL

From
Stefan 'Kaishakunin' Schumacher
Date:
Also sprach Markus Schaber (schabi@logix-tt.com)

> As I'm biased from a pure technical view, I ask you here about topics
> you regard as being worth of mentioning in my talk. I'll consider all
> you mail me personally or over the list, but I don't promise to actually
> include everything. Just think of this thread as some kind of brainstorming.

I gave a Talk about PG last year in Brandenburg (with 7.3 as base) and
a modernized version with 8.1 as base some weeks ago in Magdeburg.

My Slides are online at [1], feel free to use them as information. If
you want the TeX-Source, send a private mail.

Interesting points usually are:
- ACID-Compliance, Transactions, Rules, Triggers, Functions
- Subselects
- Inheritance
- Point in time recovery / write ahead logs

[1] http://net-tex.dnsalias.org/~stefan/nt/unix/MD-060704-Postgresql-Einfuehrung.pdf

--
Pedites pugnas decernent    http://www.jaegerseiten.de    Horrido!

http://www.net-tex.de                                 http://www.cryptomancer.de

Attachment

Re: Importand points about PostgreSQL

From
Markus Schaber
Date:
Hi,

Markus Schaber wrote:

> In two weeks, I'll hold a talk on PostgreSQL in the south German
> "Chaos-Seminar"[1] series organized by the local Chaos Computer Club
> division in a room of the Ulm University.

And now, voila, the audio and video records of the talk are online, see
them at http://ulm.ccc.de/ChaosSeminar/2006/11_PostgreSQL

HTH,
Markus

www.nosoftwarepatents.org

Re: Importand points about PostgreSQL

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Markus Schaber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Markus Schaber wrote:
>

>> In two weeks, I'll hold a talk on PostgreSQL in the south German
>> "Chaos-Seminar"[1] series organized by the local Chaos Computer Club
>> division in a room of the Ulm University.
>>

> And now, voila, the audio and video records of the talk are online, see
> them at http://ulm.ccc.de/ChaosSeminar/2006/11_PostgreSQL

Interestingly, pgaccess still seems to be the number one gui.... though
it's unmaintained since Feb2004 now.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Importand points about PostgreSQL

From
Markus Schaber
Date:
Hi, Andreas,

Andreas Pflug wrote:

> Interestingly, pgaccess still seems to be the number one gui.... though
> it's unmaintained since Feb2004 now.

Yes, maybe that's a hint for pepole searching for tasks...

I'd like to link to alternatives on the web site, can you recommend some?

Thanks,
Markus

www.nosoftwarepatents.org

Date:
Markus Schaber wrote:
> Hi, Andreas,
>
> Andreas Pflug wrote:
>

>> Interestingly, pgaccess still seems to be the number one gui.... though
>> it's unmaintained since Feb2004 now.
>>

> Yes, maybe that's a hint for pepole searching for tasks...
>
> I'd like to link to alternatives on the web site, can you recommend some?

http://www.postgresql.org/download/ names some, which are said to be
maintained a little better ;-)

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Importand points about PostgreSQL

From
Markus Schaber
Date:
Hi, Andreas,

Andreas Pflug wrote:

>>> Interestingly, pgaccess still seems to be the number one gui.... though
>>> it's unmaintained since Feb2004 now.
>>>
>> Yes, maybe that's a hint for pepole searching for tasks...
>>
>> I'd like to link to alternatives on the web site, can you recommend some?
>>
> http://www.postgresql.org/download/ names some, which are said to be
> maintained a little better ;-)

I see table designers, and administration interfaces, but no access-like
"create form-based application by klicking" application - or did I miss
something?

Thanks,
Markus

www.nosoftwarepatents.org

Re: Importand points about PostgreSQL

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Markus Schaber wrote:
> Hi, Andreas,

> >> Yes, maybe that's a hint for pepole searching for tasks...
> >>
> >> I'd like to link to alternatives on the web site, can you recommend some?
> >>
> > http://www.postgresql.org/download/ names some, which are said to be
> > maintained a little better ;-)
>
> I see table designers, and administration interfaces, but no access-like
> "create form-based application by klicking" application - or did I miss
> something?

I think Glom does that.  If it's not listed on that page, maybe it
should.  (No, I haven't looked very closely at it.)

Date:
Markus Schaber wrote:
> Hi, Andreas,

>>> Yes, maybe that's a hint for pepole searching for tasks...
>>>
>>> I'd like to link to alternatives on the web site, can you recommend some?
>>>

>> http://www.postgresql.org/download/ names some, which are said to be
>> maintained a little better ;-)
>>

> I see table designers, and administration interfaces, but no access-like
> "create form-based application by klicking" application - or did I miss
> something?

Hm to me pgaccess is only an unmaintained admin program, its design
features seem too limited to me. Naming it "access-like" appears quite
ambitious. Did you ever write an app with it, or do you know anybody who
did?

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Importand points about PostgreSQL

From
Markus Schaber
Date:
Hi, Andreas,

Andreas Pflug wrote:

> Hm to me pgaccess is only an unmaintained admin program, its design
> features seem too limited to me. Naming it "access-like" appears quite
> ambitious. Did you ever write an app with it, or do you know anybody who
> did?

To be honest, I had some tries with it years ago, but no recent experience.

Glom looks promising, so I added it on my talk's page, maybe it should
be added on http://www.postgresql.org/download/, too.

Markus

www.nosoftwarepatents.org

Re: Importand points about PostgreSQL

From
elein
Date:
On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 11:18:54AM +0100, Markus Schaber wrote:
> Hi, Andreas,
>
> Andreas Pflug wrote:
>
> > Hm to me pgaccess is only an unmaintained admin program, its design
> > features seem too limited to me. Naming it "access-like" appears quite
> > ambitious. Did you ever write an app with it, or do you know anybody who
> > did?
>
> To be honest, I had some tries with it years ago, but no recent experience.
>
> Glom looks promising, so I added it on my talk's page, maybe it should
> be added on http://www.postgresql.org/download/, too.
>
> Markus

It is the diagrams on pgaccess that I like the best.  There are lots of UI
changes it could take, but as it is, it is the only pg gui I use.

--elein
elein@varlena.com