one for our brag page

From
elein
Date:
Here is one for our brag page.  I finally got the OK for us to mention Safeway.

Safeway -- "A retail environment across 3000 servers for business critical applications."

Can someone list Safeway on the Featured User Pages?

I eked out a one liner description that is OK with Safeway.  It would be nice
to have a short description of the usage of PostgreSQL on the featured user pages
so that we know a bit of what all of these companies are using postgres for.

--elein
Varlena, LLC
elein@varlena.com

Re: one for our brag page

From
Shane Ambler
Date:
Is that the Safeway in Australia? - a chain of supermarkets?

--

Shane Ambler
Postgres@007Marketing.com

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz

Re: one for our brag page

From
Gavin Sherry
Date:
On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, Shane Ambler wrote:

> Is that the Safeway in Australia? - a chain of supermarkets?

I'm fairly certain Elein is refering to Safeway North America.

Thanks,

Gavin

Re: one for our brag page

From
elein
Date:
Yes, This is safeway in North America.  Safeway is a grocery store chain.

--elein
elein@varlena.com

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 04:20:47PM +1000, Gavin Sherry wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, Shane Ambler wrote:
>
> > Is that the Safeway in Australia? - a chain of supermarkets?
>
> I'm fairly certain Elein is refering to Safeway North America.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gavin

Re: one for our brag page

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

> Yes, This is safeway in North America.  Safeway is a grocery store
> chain.

It's one of the three largest in North America, in fact.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: one for our brag page

From
Darcy Buskermolen
Date:
On September 24, 2006 12:45 pm, elein wrote:
> Here is one for our brag page.  I finally got the OK for us to mention
> Safeway.
>
> Safeway -- "A retail environment across 3000 servers for business critical
> applications."
>
> Can someone list Safeway on the Featured User Pages?
>
> I eked out a one liner description that is OK with Safeway.  It would be
> nice to have a short description of the usage of PostgreSQL on the featured
> user pages so that we know a bit of what all of these companies are using
> postgres for.

So what are they using PG for (beyond the fuzzy business critical
applications)?

> --elein
> Varlena, LLC
> elein@varlena.com

Darcy Buskermolen
Command Prompt, Inc.
PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: one for our brag page

From
elein
Date:
On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 10:36:44AM -0700, Darcy Buskermolen wrote:
> On September 24, 2006 12:45 pm, elein wrote:
> > Here is one for our brag page.  I finally got the OK for us to mention
> > Safeway.
> >
> > Safeway -- "A retail environment across 3000 servers for business critical
> > applications."
> >
> > Can someone list Safeway on the Featured User Pages?
> >
> > I eked out a one liner description that is OK with Safeway.  It would be
> > nice to have a short description of the usage of PostgreSQL on the featured
> > user pages so that we know a bit of what all of these companies are using
> > postgres for.
>
> So what are they using PG for (beyond the fuzzy business critical
> applications)?

That is the public description of what we are doing.  I cannot disclose
the details other than we are also using slony.  You are supposed to say
"oooh! 3000 servers" and forget to ask for details :)

--elein

Re: one for our brag page

From
"Roderick A. Anderson"
elein wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 10:36:44AM -0700, Darcy Buskermolen wrote:
>
>>On September 24, 2006 12:45 pm, elein wrote:
>>
>>>Here is one for our brag page.  I finally got the OK for us to mention
>>>Safeway.
>>>
>>>Safeway -- "A retail environment across 3000 servers for business critical
>>>applications."
>>>
>>>Can someone list Safeway on the Featured User Pages?
>>>
>>>I eked out a one liner description that is OK with Safeway.  It would be
>>>nice to have a short description of the usage of PostgreSQL on the featured
>>>user pages so that we know a bit of what all of these companies are using
>>>postgres for.
>>
>>So what are they using PG for (beyond the fuzzy business critical
>>applications)?
>>

> That is the public description of what we are doing.  I cannot disclose
> the details other than we are also using slony.  You are supposed to say
> "oooh! 3000 servers" and forget to ask for details :)

If I show my Safeway Club card can I find out?  :-)  Oh wait I don't
have one.  Ignore.

Rod
--
> --elein

Re: one for our brag page

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> > > Safeway -- "A retail environment across 3000 servers for business
> > > critical applications."
> > >
> > > Can someone list Safeway on the Featured User Pages?
> > >
> > > I eked out a one liner description that is OK with Safeway.  It
> > > would be nice to have a short description of the usage of
> PostgreSQL
> > > on the featured user pages so that we know a bit of what all of
> > > these companies are using postgres for.
> >
> > So what are they using PG for (beyond the fuzzy business critical
> > applications)?
> >

> That is the public description of what we are doing.  I
> cannot disclose the details other than we are also using
> slony.  You are supposed to say "oooh! 3000 servers" and
> forget to ask for details :)

Well ,for the website we now pretty much have a plain listing (just the
company name), a case study (but it doesn't seem they're ready for that,
right?) or a quote (listed on a page and randomly rotated to the
frontpage). Any chance you can get such a quote out of somebody who
works there, that we can stick in the archive?

(I've added them to the plain list)

I'd certainly not mind seeing a more complete description for each
company, but it'll certainly look weird if we add it for just one of
them...

//Magnus

Re: one for our brag page

From
elein
Date:
On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 11:51:30PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> > PostgreSQL
> > >
> > > So what are they using PG for (beyond the fuzzy business critical
> > > applications)?
> > >

> > That is the public description of what we are doing.  I
> > cannot disclose the details other than we are also using
> > slony.  You are supposed to say "oooh! 3000 servers" and
> > forget to ask for details :)
>
> Well ,for the website we now pretty much have a plain listing (just the
> company name), a case study (but it doesn't seem they're ready for that,
> right?) or a quote (listed on a page and randomly rotated to the
> frontpage). Any chance you can get such a quote out of somebody who
> works there, that we can stick in the archive?
>
> (I've added them to the plain list)
>
> I'd certainly not mind seeing a more complete description for each
> company, but it'll certainly look weird if we add it for just one of
> them...

I'm of the opinion that if we have a short description we should add it.
It will encourage others to have them too.

> //Magnus

--elein
elein@varlena.com

Re: one for our brag page

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Monday 25 September 2006 20:37, elein wrote:

> > > PostgreSQL

> > > That is the public description of what we are doing.  I
> > > cannot disclose the details other than we are also using
> > > slony.  You are supposed to say "oooh! 3000 servers" and
> > > forget to ask for details :)
> >
> > Well ,for the website we now pretty much have a plain listing (just the
> > company name), a case study (but it doesn't seem they're ready for that,
> > right?) or a quote (listed on a page and randomly rotated to the
> > frontpage). Any chance you can get such a quote out of somebody who
> > works there, that we can stick in the archive?
> >
> > (I've added them to the plain list)
> >
> > I'd certainly not mind seeing a more complete description for each
> > company, but it'll certainly look weird if we add it for just one of
> > them...
>
> I'm of the opinion that if we have a short description we should add it.
> It will encourage others to have them too.

We tried that with the first cut and rejected it as being too cluttered.

--
Robert Treat

Re: one for our brag page

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 08:50:04PM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> [...]

That's not too cluttered :)

> > > Well ,for the website we now pretty much have a plain listing (just the
> > > company name), a case study (but it doesn't seem they're ready for that,
> > > right?) or a quote (listed on a page and randomly rotated to the
> > > frontpage). Any chance you can get such a quote out of somebody who
> > > works there, that we can stick in the archive?
> > >
> > > (I've added them to the plain list)
> > >
> > > I'd certainly not mind seeing a more complete description for each
> > > company, but it'll certainly look weird if we add it for just one of
> > > them...
> >
> > I'm of the opinion that if we have a short description we should add it.
> > It will encourage others to have them too.
> >

> We tried that with the first cut and rejected it as being too cluttered.
>
> --
> Robert Treat
> Build A Brighter LAMP :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!