MySQL drops BDB engine

From
"Ian Barwick"
Date:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/news-5-1-12.html:

  Incompatible change: Support for the BerkeleyDB (BDB) engine has
  been dropped from this release. Any existing tables that are in BDB
  format will not be readable from within MySQL from 5.1.12 or newer.
  You should convert your tables to another storage engine
  before upgrading to 5.1.12.

One down, one to go?

Regards

Ian Barwick

Re: MySQL drops BDB engine

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 03:45:26PM +0200, Ian Barwick wrote:
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/news-5-1-12.html:
>
>  Incompatible change: Support for the BerkeleyDB (BDB) engine has
>  been dropped from this release. Any existing tables that are in BDB
>  format will not be readable from within MySQL from 5.1.12 or newer.
>  You should convert your tables to another storage engine
>  before upgrading to 5.1.12.
>
> One down, one to go?

I haven't been following MySQL's relationship with Oracle but MySQL
AB did make this press release in April:

http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events/press-release/release_2006_21.html

  Earlier this month, MySQL and Innobase OY agreed to a multi-year
  extension of their licensing agreement.  InnoDB will continue to
  be among the best-supported database engines for MySQL -- at the
  highest level of the partner program.

  "MySQL users can continue to depend on InnoDB, knowing it is
  'business as usual' in terms of InnoDB development and the
  relationship between MySQL AB and the InnoDB development team,"
  said Heikki Tuuri, vice president of the InnoDB Group at Oracle.

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: MySQL drops BDB engine

From
Chander Ganesan
Date:
Ian Barwick wrote:
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/news-5-1-12.html:
>
>  Incompatible change: Support for the BerkeleyDB (BDB) engine has
>  been dropped from this release. Any existing tables that are in BDB
>  format will not be readable from within MySQL from 5.1.12 or newer.
>  You should convert your tables to another storage engine
>  before upgrading to 5.1.12.
Did they backtrack on this one?  I don't see the change there
(anymore?)...on the contrary, I see several changes to BDB functionality
- implying that its sticking around...

Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.
One Copley Parkway, Suite 210
Morrisville, NC  27560
Phone: 877-258-8987/919-463-0999

> One down, one to go?
>
> Regards
>
> Ian Barwick

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: MySQL drops BDB engine

From
Chander Ganesan
Date:
>> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/news-5-1-12.html:
>>
>>  Incompatible change: Support for the BerkeleyDB (BDB) engine has
>>  been dropped from this release. Any existing tables that are in BDB
>>  format will not be readable from within MySQL from 5.1.12 or newer.
>>  You should convert your tables to another storage engine
>>  before upgrading to 5.1.12.
> Did they backtrack on this one?  I don't see the change there
> (anymore?)...on the contrary, I see several changes to BDB
> functionality - implying that its sticking around...
>
> Chander Ganesan
> Open Technology Group, Inc.
> One Copley Parkway, Suite 210
> Morrisville, NC  27560
> Phone: 877-258-8987/919-463-0999

Doh!  I stand corrected...I was looking at the 5.1.2 changes, not the 12
changes.  I have customers at NASA that will be very interested in
this....  I wonder how long it will be before it makes the mainstream
news...

chander

>> One down, one to go?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Ian Barwick

Re: MySQL drops BDB engine

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Chander Ganesan wrote:
> I wonder how long it will be before it makes the mainstream
> news...

About minus 7 hours.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: MySQL drops BDB engine

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

> Doh!  I stand corrected...I was looking at the 5.1.2 changes, not the 12
> changes.  I have customers at NASA that will be very interested in
> this....  I wonder how long it will be before it makes the mainstream
> news...

One thought would be to continue using innodb until the Solid release is
stable. Once Solid is stable, they can dump innodb too.

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: MySQL drops BDB engine

From
"Walter Cruz"
Date:
and what about falcon?

Jim Starkey was contracted by MySQL AB to write a transactional
engine, called Falcon.

News about that?

[]'s
- Walter

On 8/24/06, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> > Doh!  I stand corrected...I was looking at the 5.1.2 changes, not the 12
> > changes.  I have customers at NASA that will be very interested in
> > this....  I wonder how long it will be before it makes the mainstream
> > news...
>
> One thought would be to continue using innodb until the Solid release is
> stable. Once Solid is stable, they can dump innodb too.
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

> --
>
>     === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
> Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
>     Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
>               http://www.commandprompt.com/

>        match

Re: MySQL drops BDB engine

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Walter Cruz wrote:
> and what about falcon?
>
> Jim Starkey was contracted by MySQL AB to write a transactional
> engine, called Falcon.
>
> News about that?

I haven't heard much about that.

Joshua D. Drake

> []'s
> - Walter
>
> On 8/24/06, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Doh!  I stand corrected...I was looking at the 5.1.2 changes, not
>> the 12
>> > changes.  I have customers at NASA that will be very interested in
>> > this....  I wonder how long it will be before it makes the mainstream
>> > news...
>>
>> One thought would be to continue using innodb until the Solid release is
>> stable. Once Solid is stable, they can dump innodb too.
>>
>> Joshua D. Drake
>>

>> --
>>
>>     === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
>> Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
>>     Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
>>               http://www.commandprompt.com/

>> TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
>>        choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not
>>        match

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: MySQL drops BDB engine

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when jd@commandprompt.com ("Joshua D. Drake") would write:
> Walter Cruz wrote:
>> and what about falcon?
>> Jim Starkey was contracted by MySQL AB to write a transactional
>> engine, called Falcon.
>> News about that?
>
> I haven't heard much about that.

If it's only 1/2 done, then there wouldn't be much to say, yet.

And I don't think Starkey has been working on that for more than a few
months yet now, and that's really too soon for there to be newsworthy
results.
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','acm.org').
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/spreadsheets.html

Re: MySQL drops BDB engine

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 12:16 -0300, Walter Cruz wrote:
> Jim Starkey was contracted by MySQL AB to write a transactional
> engine, called Falcon.

Speaking of transactional engines for MySQL, PBXT is another project
that's under development:

http://www.primebase.com/xt/

-Neil

Re: MySQL drops BDB engine

From
Florian Weimer
* Neil Conway:

> Speaking of transactional engines for MySQL, PBXT is another project
> that's under development:
>
> http://www.primebase.com/xt/

It's a bit strange that they don't use the established term
"log-structured". 8-/

Re: MySQL drops BDB engine

From
bogomil.shopov@spisanie.com